Author Topic: The PJ cometh  (Read 2315 times)

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
The PJ cometh
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2004, 08:09:53 AM »
Pyro,

Actually I was referring to CVH's constant referance to 54"MAP not being the "real" mil power setting and 60"MAP not being the Combat setting.

I have never seen anything but crayon charts to show this performance and the constant reference to it should have some shread of proof to go with it other than annecdotes.

I would like to see some Allison documentation showing compression ratios, SFC or something that indicates higher performance ratings.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2004, 10:27:05 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Karnak, did ya take a wrong turn at Tulsa or what? :D
  I am the original poster in this thread. The lead off topic is about the PJ. No mention of AW or any use of it`s terminology.

Jakal,

"PJ" is AirWarrior terminolgy.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
The PJ cometh
« Reply #77 on: December 21, 2004, 10:34:45 AM »
Originally posted by F4UDOA
Pyro,

Actually I was referring to CVH's constant referance to 54"MAP not being the "real" mil power setting and 60"MAP not being the Combat setting.

I have never seen anything but crayon charts to show this performance and the constant reference to it should have some shread of proof to go with it other than annecdotes.

I would like to see some Allison documentation showing compression ratios, SFC or something that indicates higher performance ratings.

I don't know about that, the ratings are pretty clear from everything that I've ever seen, but there is something to that.  The F30 engines used on the 38L had a revised crankshaft that allowed 3200 RPM.  Allison cleared that engine for a higher WEP rating of 1725 HP using the increased RPM.  However, the AAF never authorized that new rating for service use and retained the 60" 3000 RPM emergency rating.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
The PJ cometh
« Reply #78 on: December 21, 2004, 09:41:46 PM »
Pyro,

There is some discussion of that in the JFC notes. More centered around the ability to overboost with supercharging and the advantages of higher compression ratio's with lower MAP yielding higher HP that lower compression ratios and higher MAP.

Offline Stang

• Platinum Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2004, 11:46:27 PM »
Originally posted by laz
Can't wait to fly these 38's, just another ride for the MA to fear. :D

Still can't hold a candle to the p40's    :D

Can't wait for them either.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2004, 12:19:57 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Jakal,

"PJ" is AirWarrior terminolgy.

Is it? I didn`t get the memo.
  Next thing you will be telling me is that some  guy named Jose ,who worked for CH ,worked out a problem concerning the analog CH pedals and a Logicrap stick that everyone said couldn`t be done. :D
  Wish I had known where the term PJ originated when I was sitting in that ole biker bar in Greenville Texas years ago talking to that WWII pilot. I guess the old guy was confused when he was telling me about flying a  T6 over Tulia and seeing that dot way, way up there and immediately recognizing it as ---------- a PJ.
  I`m gonna have to see if that old uninformed dude is still alive and give him a good cussing for shining me on. :D
  Man .... the old fugger had prolly been in AW. :D
  You will have to excuse me because I know very little about these flying thingies.
'
'
''
'
'
On a more serious note, I believe that was one of the most enjoyable afternoons I ever experienced. Sitting there listening to this guy relive some of his lifetime memoriies, watching his eyes light up and the animation he went into when discussing things that went way beyond my ability to comprehend.
  It was me, the pilot, "The Beast" errrr my wife and a good friend of mine that was a sniper in the Nam. (guy had more ventilation on his bod than Swiss cheese}. Love ya Doc, your my bro.
  :D
  Bad weather, Who Hit John and this company made for a more than worthy time.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 03:00:19 AM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------