Author Topic: The PJ cometh  (Read 2308 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
The PJ cometh
« on: December 14, 2004, 06:03:47 PM »
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 06:15:18 PM »
Why was this worth a new thread and what is the big deal about the P-38J?  It'll just be a poorer rolling P-38L that can't dive while having a very slightly faster top speed.  What do you expect it to bring to the table that makes it "Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet."?
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 06:36:16 PM »
Karnak,

Only a guess, but maybe pulling tour figures of what % of the tour US, British, German, Italian, Russian and Japanese planes are flown respective to each other as a block choice by players will tell why this focus on one group of planes over another by HTC here at the begining of AHII.

Just a thought. I would suspect working on the planes more of the paying customers use is some of the motivation.

Personally I fly the P47 because of my squad. It would be nice though to see more representation of IJN/IJA, Russia, Italy and possibly a German transport. More strange eye candy to blow tail feathers off of.:D

P.S. The clipped wing spit would be intersting along with an Oscar.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
The PJ cometh
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 07:11:38 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Why was this worth a new thread and what is the big deal about the P-38J?  It'll just be a poorer rolling P-38L that can't dive while having a very slightly faster top speed.  What do you expect it to bring to the table that makes it "Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet."?

Just because it doesn't have dive flaps doesn't mean you can dive in the P-38J.  It should dive just as well as the late model J and L model.  Like those planes, you just have to be careful at which altitude you start you dive from.  As long as you take care and don't enter into compressability, you should be OK.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 07:56:41 PM »
You're right Ack-Ack.  I shouldn't have said it can't dive.  I should have said it can't pull up.:p

bustr,

As I said in the P-38G and P-38J thread, we needed the P-38F or P-38G for scenarios and the P-38J is icing on the cake.  I'm all for both of these aircraft to be added and am happy to see them.  I have no US vs JP vs UK vs RU vs DE vs IT issues going on here.

What I don't really understand is the enthusiasm for the P-38J when, so far as I can tell, it will be inferior to the P-38L in all  but having a slightly higher top speed.  It isn't that I don't want the P-38J, it is that I don't understand people's apparent expectations of it.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 08:10:00 PM »

One great thing about getting the P-38J is that matched planesets will now be more accurate.    Previously any matchup that included the 38L as a sub for the G will now be a little more fair to the Axis pilots who won't need to deal with the L's superior roll rate.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
The PJ cometh
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 10:48:04 PM »

What I don't really understand is the enthusiasm for the P-38J when, so far as I can tell, it will be inferior to the P-38L in all  but having a slightly higher top speed.  It isn't that I don't want the P-38J, it is that I don't understand people's apparent expectations of it.

Because a lot of those used to fly the P-38J in AW and probably expect it to be the same without realizing that the P-38J in AW was a late series model, not an early model J.

Personally, I'm more partial to the G model since that is what the majority of the P-38s that were flown by the 479th.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2004, 12:43:17 AM »
Originally posted by oboe
One great thing about getting the P-38J is that matched planesets will now be more accurate.    Previously any matchup that included the 38L as a sub for the G will now be a little more fair to the Axis pilots who won't need to deal with the L's superior roll rate.

We're getting the P-38G as well, so we won't even have to deal with the P-38J's and P-38L's speed.

I'd still like to see a P-38F.  Actually I'd rather have the P-38F and P-38G than the P-38G and P-38J.  I am glad to see that we are getting earlier P-38s though.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 01:32:43 AM »

lots of green skins.

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 05:05:24 AM »

Because I say so.  :D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Alpo

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 05:41:54 AM »

Probably because so many people like to say "I've got a pair of PJs at 15K"  :rolleyes:
SkyKnights Fighter Group -CO-
R.I.P.  SKDenny 02/03/1940 - 02/19/2012

Offline debuman

• Copper Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2004, 10:27:44 AM »
Originally posted by Alpo
Probably because so many people like to say "I've got a pair of PJs at 15K"  :rolleyes:

Alpo,
After your comments to RAD, I thought you were prohibited from talking about people having "pairs" of anything!:D

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
The PJ cometh
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2004, 11:53:30 AM »
Actually I'd rather have the P-38F and P-38G than the P-38G and P-38J.  

Why?  There's hardly any difference between the F and G.  OTOH, there is a big difference between the J(last block J's excluded) and the L.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro
Why?  There's hardly any difference between the F and G.  OTOH, there is a big difference between the J(last block J's excluded) and the L.

Agreed. Folks have to realize that the Fs and Gs were operating together in the 38 units.  The MTO 38 Groups, 1st, 14th and 82nd were operating both types well into 1944 as well even as the early Js were arriving.

Quoting the 82nd FG History

"Replacement pilots, having been trained on the latest type of P38s in the states are puzzled by the sight of our old F's and G's still being used in combat."

This from March 20, 1944:

"It would be many weeks, however, before the J's completely replaced the older planes, and many of the group's ancient F's and Gs labored on throughout the spring."

What it comes down to is that the G and J were also being operated together in the 38 Groups.

And the 82nd as an example, didn't get a dive flapped equipped J-25 (the equivalant of an L model) until August of 1944.

So thanks to the AH powers that be, we will have 38s that cover the period of 42 to early 44 with the G.  Early 44 until late 44 with the J and late 44 until the end of the war with the L.

Can't do it much better then that :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
The PJ cometh
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2004, 12:15:41 PM »
wow!  when?? I might have to download the patch and play!