Author Topic: P-38 & rockets  (Read 738 times)

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
P-38 & rockets
« on: May 05, 2001, 03:49:00 AM »
Hi !
I haven't done any rocket strikes until now, after I found myself playing around with p38.
Rockets seem to fall beyond cockpit immediatly after launch, so that I can't aim them at all. Do they suppose to or am I missing here something. Sorry for stupid question  

Thx in advance.

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
P-38 & rockets
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2001, 10:40:00 AM »
S!

What I have experienced with the rockets..U need to aim above the target a bit,maybe halfway between crosshair center and sight bottom in a slight dive.And the plane must fly steadily without excess G's to get a steady path for them.Some1 with better knowledge,pls comment...

------------------
DB603
3.Lentue
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
P-38 & rockets
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2001, 06:14:00 PM »
you nailed straight on DB. That is the way to aim the rockets.

Offline grizz

• Copper Member
P-38 & rockets
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2001, 07:48:00 PM »
I've been flying the P47D lately and using rockets for ack suppression. I've found the most success if the pip is dead on the target at a 45 deg. angle or more. When less than 45 deg. aiming slightly above the target works best. That is when using Mino's gunsight. Of course, if you're just talking about the P38...then I have no idea and ignore this post please.  

------
griz
-MAW-

Offline rob53

• Nickel Member
P-38 & rockets
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2001, 12:32:00 PM »
As a frequent P-38 driver, I have found that the best way to get rocket hits is utilizing a gunsight that helps with the aiming  

Search for "Mino's JABO gunsight" contained somewhere in the BBS archives.  Help and Training maybe.

Along the horizontal center line are two notches below the center dot.  The first (closest to the center notch) is the rocket notch, I call it, and the second (furthest) is the bomb notch.  At about a 45 degree aoa or a little greater, put the appropriate "notch" on target and release the appropriate ordinance.  Mino's sight has helped me a great deal in putting steel on target on JABO runs  

Practice with it and your results will improve significantly  

Gotta run, otherwise i'd post it here or find the link for it.

Good Luck and good jabo'n  

Rob53
rob53
The Flying Circus

Offline Exile

• Gold Member
      • http://www.simladder.com/
P-38 & rockets
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2001, 02:13:00 PM »
Here ya go.

------------------
Exile
Tard Extraordinaire
SIMLADDER.COM

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
P-38 & rockets
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2001, 06:35:00 PM »
Terve Janneh!

Grizz put it right! If you dive less than that 45 degree you need use The Force to get hit! ;-)  

Lately I have fly few sortie with Typhoon (8 rockets)and I find out that the easyest way kill yourself is push too much to get ack kill.

Take/wait your time to get position & alt for your attact run. If possible get two acks in run if they are in line and cloce. Start allways from "Outer side of the Acks field" and roll your Lift Vector when your exit. B roll works well with me.

Et jotain simmost tall kert!

BR

Xjazz

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
P-38 & rockets
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2001, 12:12:00 AM »
Thx guys and thx Mino !
I took that sight, it's great !
Good tips.
Yesterday I took p47 for my first jabo and took out 4 acks, radar and BH with 10 rockets and some bullets.
Well, it a start anyway  

cu up there!