Author Topic: Were's the middle east???  (Read 1671 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Were's the middle east???
« Reply #90 on: January 06, 2005, 02:47:24 AM »
Originally posted by NUKE
LOL

the USSR had many times our resources.

Snow and slave labor were resources?
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #91 on: January 06, 2005, 03:01:17 AM »
Originally posted by rpm
Snow and slave labor were resources?

Oil, coal, forests, gold, silver, copper, water, oceans... you name it, they had it.

The USSR was had WAY more natural resources than us.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: January 06, 2005, 05:10:40 AM »
Britain are hoping to raise their $95m pledge to $187m in the next week or so.  UK Charities (citizen donations) have so far raised $150m.
NEXX

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2005, 08:58:09 AM »
Oil, coal, forests, gold, silver, copper, water, oceans... you name it, they had it.

The USSR was had WAY more natural resources than us.

Of course you can back up your claims or can you :)

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: January 09, 2005, 03:07:49 PM »
LOL

the USSR had many times our resources. Mexico and Canada have just as much or more than we do.

America is where we are beacuse of our laws and open culture.

The Arabs are where they are  because of their culture.

Not sure about Mexico having as much or more resources than Canada.  And part of the reason the US was so economically successful is because of the high population.  And indeed part of the reason the people immigrated to the US was to live in a free country.  But they also moved their for all that free land that was being given away.  But I wonder what the population of the US would have been if it was just a big desert.

The point I was trying to make was that it doesn't seem very useful to me to play the "if" game in this context.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 03:10:22 PM by Thrawn »

Offline genozaur

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #95 on: January 09, 2005, 07:49:07 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
This list is old.

This list is so old that it doesn't even list some old countries. I couldn't find Russia on it, neither the USSR. :D
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 07:52:52 PM by genozaur »

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #96 on: January 09, 2005, 08:10:09 PM »
while israel didnt donated hard currency
12 hours after the tsunamy israely medical army units where on the way to thailand and are still there today

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: January 09, 2005, 08:21:57 PM »
Originally posted by Flyboy
while israel didnt donated hard currency
12 hours after the tsunamy israely medical army units where on the way to thailand and are still there today

werent they rejected and told thanks but no thanks?  or was that Sri Lanka?

Offline patrone

• Nickel Member
« Reply #98 on: January 09, 2005, 08:26:01 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
werent they rejected and told thanks but no thanks?  or was that Sri Lanka?

I think Indonesia said "no thanks" to Israelic help. Indonesia said really "no thanks" to all forign help, to start with: The area wich was hit was also a rebelcontrolled area.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: January 09, 2005, 08:45:52 PM »
I'd heard the Sri Lankans had said no to Israeli help, though my source was this BB, as opposed to a less-respected news organisation.

I'd also heard reports the Indonesians had said no to all foreigners, but I'm sure that is inaccurate. Far as I know, there was a team of Australian Army engineers on the ground in Banda Aceh within days producing fresh drinking water.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline patrone

• Nickel Member
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2005, 09:02:17 PM »
Yes, within days, they excepted forign aid.
But for starters, they only reported 30 dead and covered up the actual loses.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2005, 09:23:02 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
Not sure about Mexico having as much or more resources than Canada.  And part of the reason the US was so economically successful is because of the high population.  And indeed part of the reason the people immigrated to the US was to live in a free country.  But they also moved their for all that free land that was being given away.  But I wonder what the population of the US would have been if it was just a big desert.

The point I was trying to make was that it doesn't seem very useful to me to play the "if" game in this context.

You kind of made my point. The US has what we have because of who we are and not because of our natural resources.

The USSR wrapped almost halfway around the globe from east to west, 1/6th of the habitated land on earth...from Europe to Asia.

The USSR had all the natural resources it needed to be self sufficient and plenty of land for people to live on.....they had a larger chunk of Asia than China and India combined.....yet they collapsed. They failed because of their society and intollerant ways.

Arab nations are stagnant and mostly uneducated because of their society.

Japan has the world's 2nd largest economy because of it's society. Look how small Japan is.

The reason the US had people flooding over ( and still do) is because of our laws,  tolerent culture, economy(because of our laws) and freedom.