Author Topic: I am trying to manage E but..  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Aubrey

• Copper Member
I am trying to manage E but..
« on: January 10, 2005, 05:11:02 PM »
I keep pushing the envelope or not as the case may be, I have no idea If I am or not and blacking out. I know what I am doing wrong in some cases; not waiting for a good angle and coming in too steep. I am trying to get over the  " I just gotta get that shot" and pushing a bad position.

I know if I am blacking out I am bleeding E. Any suggestions for this noob?

I have been flying a P-51 alot and a p47 it is worse in the 47. I think I know why in the 47. Please enlighten me as my feeling of knowing why is prolly wrong. I do read and reread my netaces stuff and it helps. Can you guys amplify on that stuff?

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 06:27:18 PM »
one of the real "secrets" of energy ACM is understanding lag vs lead pursuit. The second is understanding when and where energy advantage helps and when where being at an E disadvantage is ok. Obviously "total" energy and E bleed are variables....the jug bleeds E faster and has less total potential E (except in a pure zoom) than the pony.

Now....

Lag pursuit is keeping the nose behind the con...your trailing him thru maintaining pressure but not pulling for shot...real good E fighters will ocillate out of plane hi/lo yoyo to retain as much e as possible while bogie pulls tighter and tighter...

A real key to E fighting is use of the vertical in every move...nothing is "flat"....

The 1st clip in the last post I made "standoff" might give you some idea of what i'm talking about.

http://www.azhacker.com/images/standoff.ahf

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Aubrey

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 08:40:37 PM »
Wow thanks humble I learned a lot just by watching that. I saw exactly where I would be pushing or yanking on stick to get a shot and in those places you were paitent. I also turned on trails and watched the p51 doing yoyos and loobs rather than flat turns like I do a lot.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 09:37:30 PM »
Go to http://www.netaces.org and see if BulletHead's Theory of E Management is still posted.  If it's not, do a Google search for it.  It is probably one of the best write ups on E management for the virtual wannabe ace.  RocketMan's lectures are also extremely helpful.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 09:39:25 PM »
Aubrey you can still pull some on your shots depending on what your against and the maneuver they may be doing to evade you.  One thing is though majority of the time you need to be in react mode but many pilots give away their move when you still have time to setup for it.  One thing about that though is some like myself may actually be setting you up.  You need to be aggressive but also be able to pickup if who you are fighting against know what they are doing or not.

As Humble has said though learning lead/lag pursuits and combining them with basic energy management is the best thing to learn.  This means working the throttle, angles and flaps.  Keeping your e doesn't necessarily mean staying full on the throttles and not bleeding some e using flaps or angles to gain a shot.  It means using these items only enough to gain a solution without giving up your energy advantage totally in the event your solution doesn't pay off on your first pass.  

As your pulling for a shot be sure that your not pulling to hard and once you've decided a shot isn't possible unload the stick then go back to the vertical.  You can go to aggressive high or low yo yos to surprise your target but you have to be absolutely sure that you can kill them with in the first turn or less.  Some pilots repeat their evasive maneuvering over and over again.  So even if it takes you a few passes you may find a trend that you can lead you to go to an aggressive maneuver to finally saddle up.

I doubt I have to tell you but it isn't a good idea if contacts are close enough that excessive maneuvering will end up leaving you dead in the water even after you have gotten your kill.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 10:40:07 PM »
The key is learning to accurately understand when your in danger, when you have the edge and when your "nuetral" Obviously if your in danger you'll need to be more aggresive defensively...you'll notice a bunch of times in the clip I'm actually scrubbing E to create the ability to gain angular advantage (to deny shot solution)....however I can then make the energy back up by giving back the angles. Alot of times you can have to much energy....the flip is understanding the relationship between energy and angular advantage when on the offensive. Sometimes if you have to much E and to much angles you create an overshoot...you can see that in the 2nd clip...I'm so worried about flyboy regaining E that I mess up by not scrubbing E quickly....this creates a weakness in our relative positions...he uses it to ventilate my bird...its a good primer on two counts....1st shows how a single lapse ruins a well flown hop...2nd that you need to continue to fly smart...I dont compound my error (the 1st error may be survivable...the 2nd one WILL kill you)...but instead convert all my remaining E to positional advantage (while saving it via the vertical...now I have both angles and E and can finish things off....as much luck as skill...1st shot could of been end...but is a good primer on positive E attack and defense...

http://www.azhacker.com/images/flyboy2.ahf

This is 2nd part of that fight...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 10:27:57 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Go to http://www.netaces.org and see if BulletHead's Theory of E Management is still posted.  If it's not, do a Google search for it.  It is probably one of the best write ups on E management for the virtual wannabe ace.  RocketMan's lectures are also extremely helpful.

ack-ack

Bullethead's Theory of E-Management

then click the SA link top left of this linked-page  and find more info about E - Management by use of Situational Awareness.......
« Last Edit: January 11, 2005, 11:00:04 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 01:24:34 PM »
Thanks for the post to BulletHeads web pages. All the years I spent in AW, then here in AH, and I've never seen these pages before!

<<<>>>
I like this quote, especially now that 1/2 the planes I see in AHII are Dora's. (And I've been one of them quite a bit). This month I was so sick of them I was ready to swear off them, just as I have the LA-7. (The KI-84 has been my main ride this month.)

This quote just reinforces my decision:

"If there is one plane in the arena that most shows up its pilot as a pathetic, ACM-challenged BnZ running loser, it's the Dora.

Strengths: fastest plane in the game, great acceleration, excellent zoom, good sustained climb, great roll rate, excellent high alt performance retention, decent guns.

Weaknesses: relatively large turn radius for a given speed, poor sustained turn performance, stigma of being a porked uberplane flown by an utter dweeb.

Want to go up to the stratosphere and stomp Jugs and 38s? Want to run down P51s and Ki84s? Want to beat even N1s in vertical battles of E attrition? Want to be viewed by the AW population as a total lamer? Fly a Dora."
<<<>>>

LOL!

I've copied them to a Word file and I'll try to get his permission to edit them and post them at NetAces. This info is too good to lose to the sands of time!

Offline Aubrey

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 03:46:12 PM »
Thanks for the link.

I had an epiphany this morning. From my reading and humble's movies it really brought this oout. Example This morning A nik was coming at my P51, head on I dove under a smidge, not far him he missed, then instead of going into a shallow dive, to pick up E and then climb to spend a bit and get alt then relase the E in a ( I do not know waht you call it Yoyo?) and dive back on him I turned.

Now I did not think of this while doing it I thought about it after the fight.

I relaised when I go into a I guess I will call it a flat turn, basically not working the E I am spending my E for no gain, then I am struggling to stay at alt and when I need to turn I cannot. I go into a spin, and have to recover with at recovery no E what so ever. SOOOOO..

I relise E is baout more than having it in the bank so to say by being high, but you can spend it and regain it as long as you are smart.

Am I on the right track?

Be kind I can be very slow at times

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 03:56:22 PM »
have you spent any time in the TA yet???....you should. Things become alot clearer if you have someone working with you...

Offline Aubrey

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 04:15:33 PM »
heh No I have not.  Why?  becuase I am impataient and like to do things the hard way I guess.  Hehe at least I am learning something from dieing a lot.  hehe  I used to play Jumpgate a space game. I used to say  The key to having fun is to die alot. guess the same is true here.  Even if your good you are going to die, and I am having ball playing.  

I would be happy to go to the training arena, A guy named Jamusta offered. (Nice Guy) I spoke with him a bit one night he taught me a lot in a few sentances.

My problem is I just want to jump right into the fun....   :)

You guys have been great answering my questions  Thanks again

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 04:26:00 PM »
You couldnt be more wrong, all your doing is getting good at dying. You can spend monthstrying to piece things togeather and still get nowhere...trust me, I've been there. Back when I started the "FR" (full realism) arena in AW was lucky to have 40 guys in it. So you got some "quality" time with guys like -HR- and Rocketman. Every once in awhile they'd take a moment off from beating the snot out of you to comment on what was happening (not often but enough:)).

Every hour you spend in the TA is worth 100 hours in the MA from a learning perspective. There are some great guys willing to take their time to work with you...take advantage of it.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 06:32:28 PM »
Anybody have current contact info for Bullethhead? There's nothing on his web site.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 08:15:28 PM »
MOSQ,
post message in the General Discussion Forum, he is in the CAF squad and usually lurks the General Discussion area....

title the subject as  
Looking for BulletHead     ;)
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2005, 01:16:59 AM »
Thanks TC, I didn't realize he was still around, duh!

I emailed him thru the BBS.
Thanks,
Mosq