Author Topic: Tile Setter V2.0  (Read 2347 times)

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« on: January 21, 2005, 10:22:57 PM »

The Tile Setter Tool was developed to import Terragen (*.ter) elevations files into Aces High Editor v2 and to set the tile types based on the elevations.  Using *.ter files can produce more natural looking terrains quicker over the entire map then can be done using tools in the Editor or with a grayscale bitmap.

The *.ter files also have subtle changes in elevations even over relatively flat areas that can be used to create variation in the terrain types.

The tool is offered here "as is" and you use it at your own risk.  As with any download, be concerned about viruses.  The file is an executable, 281 kb in size, and better be virus-free.  Be sure and put it through your virus checker before running.  Save the file in your terrain folder.  Look through the User Manual and backup you terrain before using.  The tool will modify your terrain files and there is no "undo" button.

Tile Setter: http://www.wildandfreed.com/ah/tileset.exe
User Manual: http://www.wildandfreed.com/ah/tileset.txt

GL

MachNix

p.s. I expect this tool to be obsolete in two weeks.

Offline Zixieo

• Copper Member
      • http://www.zerodesigns.bravehost.com
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 11:22:06 PM »
very very very nice:aok

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2005, 12:59:28 AM »
I had to install this file to get the program to open, but i still get errors when I try to set type or make map, any idea what may be wrong?

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 01:30:10 AM »
Corection, the make map function will work if I don't press the set type button 1st.

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2005, 01:55:15 AM »
Problem solved, I just had to start with a fresh typ file (water only). Thanks for a great tool MachNix.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 05:28:49 AM »
Great tool! Works beautifully!

If you don't mind, I'm going to put the file and instructions into a .zip file and post it on AH-Terrains.

I'll include the .ocx file in the zip in case others have the problem zmeg did.

LOL, now the mod request. Can the program be modified to allow the placing of the tile sub-types in AH2 (tile0x0x.bmp)?

In case people haven't figured it out, those "sub-types" may allow for 24 different terrain tiles if each can be individually assigned. :)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 06:06:10 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 08:32:56 AM »
Actually those 4 subtypes are combined to form 1 tile in any 1 of 256 combinations, they are asigned by the .syp file.
   What I would love to see added is a way to assign your own colors for the 'make map' function or mabey even use the textures from the texsrc folder. :p  I woulldn't ask for much would I.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 10:15:55 AM »
Originally posted by zmeg
Actually those 4 subtypes are combined to form 1 tile in any 1 of 256 combinations, they are asigned by the .syp file.....
Hmm...interesting. I knew they formed 1 tile, I was just thinking outloud per-say. Let me think silently on that one for now.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2005, 11:13:51 AM »
No need to think silently on this any more...

Note the two sub tiles (201 and 201 - blue) being in the same main cell in the TE. This means the sub tile is assignable somehow. If someone can do it, that gives 24 useable tiles.

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2005, 01:25:33 PM »
I forgot to mention that the tool was built using Microsoft Visual Basic v5.0 with Windows ME.  Sometimes you will get an error message about a file being already open.  Save your setting so you don't loose any changes, close and then re-open the tool and things will be back to normal.

As far as placing tile sub-types, I use the "Randomize" button in the TE.  The tool is not meant to replace the TE.  I'm hopeful the new TE will have improved features that will make this tool obsolete.  So, I'm afraid you are stuck with the tool as is.  That goes for map colors as well.  You will have to use your image editing tools such as Photoshop to change the colors.  But don't be shy about making suggestions.  Maybe HT will incorporate them in their new TE.

Below is a section of a map that represents what my requirements where when I made the tool.  I used Photoshop to put it together.

I don't mind if the tool is made available at AH-Terrains – just don't sell it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2005, 01:27:49 PM by MachNix »

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2005, 07:19:48 PM »
Amazing potential here, Machnix. Is that roads I see marked on the map?

We will be talking about this deeper soon. ;)

Thanks for all of your work on this.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 08:55:44 AM »
MachNix, private messaging is disabled here.

Could you join AH-Terrains and let me contact you privately there?

Thanks!

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2005, 02:51:23 PM »
That's a nice tool you have there MachNix, I look forward to trying it.

It's amazing how many tools have been created to create and manipulate these terrain files.  S! to all of you for your efforts.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 11:48:10 AM »
Dux,
Yes, those are the roads marked on the map and would be part of the final map.  The As, Bs, Cs, etc. you see are only there to help me place the factories and fields and would not be part of the final version.

Nhawk,  I joined AH-Terrains.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Tile Setter V2.0
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2005, 02:12:15 PM »
Originally posted by zmeg
.... What I would love to see added is a way to assign your own colors for the 'make map' function or mabey even use the textures from the texsrc folder. :p  I woulldn't ask for much would I.
Carefull what you ask for. ;)

It's temporarily available at..

http://www.ah-terrains.com/public/Mapbmp.EXE

It's fairly large, about 2.8 meg, but that's because it's a full installshield installation file with all of the files that could be missing from someone's system.

The program automatically creates the .texsrc folder if it doesn't already exist. And writes the .bmp file to that folder already properly named for the terrain selected. It will also produce the grid for the terrrain. But for now, it won't number the grids.

Using textures isn't available yet, and I am working on a tile setter that will allow you to set the tile sub-types. The core is there, but it will take a while to complete.

A big thanks to MachNix for the core code for creating the BMP!