Author Topic: new hard drive  (Read 208 times)

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
new hard drive
« on: February 02, 2005, 05:13:22 PM »
just bought a new 120gig, 7200 rpm hard rive and was gonna only use it for storage until i realized that my main 80gig hard drive was only running at 5400 rpm

what should i do?

swap them out with each other(i really hate starting from scratch)

or is it better to have them share the load

mabey install my high demand programs on the new drive and use the 80gig just for surfing, and email.

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
new hard drive
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 05:14:39 PM »
and before i get slapped on the hand i thought i was posting this in hardware and support forum:o

my bad:D

Offline streetstang

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
new hard drive
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 05:17:12 PM »
Ifluff'n I were you I'd run the old drive as storage only. Multi media files ect ect. Slower rpm basicly means longer seek times among other things.

But your going to have format that old drive first... Basicly your going to have to save all your crap to a CD and start from scratch. If you want to use the old drive as storage that is.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
new hard drive
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 05:28:06 PM »
Use the old drive for your operating system and programs/games, and the new drive for your documents/data. WHEN the old drive fails you'll only lose stuff you can re-install.

Just make sure the new drive is good and stable before moving something important to it.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
new hard drive
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 05:29:08 PM »
morph...

ok i know what i have to do now and im gonna hate too do it...

one more thing, when you say format old drive i think of just poping in the system restore disks and reformating hard drive, is there a option to just format and not install operating system on old hard drive?

ok two more things:lol

after figureing out question one, i just have to swap the slaves around and pop in the restore disks and reformat my new drive(because i already installed it on my machine) and install windows on it, right?

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
new hard drive
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 05:30:33 PM »
damn!!!

conflicting info????:eek:

alright Gshotlz

can i put ah on the storage drive?

and how will that effect, other programs, example is my joystick, and video card are all on my slower drive...do then need to go too?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 05:33:38 PM by 68DevilM »

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
new hard drive
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 05:32:32 PM »
The 5400 is fast enough that you won't notice any difference. Just put your windows swapfile on the fast drive and you're ok. Use the new drive for storage, multimedia etc.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline streetstang

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
new hard drive
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 05:36:26 PM »
Your going to have to format, play with the jumpers on the back side of the HD (maybe) and do many more things that will give you more of a headache in the end.

I tend to agree with GS now that I'm taking a closer look at your situation. It would be less trouble to just format your new harddive for storage use only and be done with it. You may have to configure the jumpers on the back ( the manual that came with the HD will go over that with you) and make sure you have the slave set right ect ect.

When your old HD chits the bed, buy a 10,000rpm HD, something small to run your OS on along with your programs.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
new hard drive
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 05:37:25 PM »
Basically ...

Old drive (5400): windows, programs and games.

New drive: documents, movies, music etc. AND games that require a lot of disk operation (Doom3 HL2 etc.).

Every program/game that you move to the new drive will have to be uninstalled from the old drive and then re-installed to the new. Never just copy program/game files, they won't work.

Configure windows to use the faster drive for its memory swap file.

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
new hard drive
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 05:41:33 PM »
thanks guys, guess i was panicing over nothing, you guys both just told me exactly what i had done alread.

see ya's in the MA