Author Topic: Crime Drops 99%!  (Read 2109 times)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2005, 03:59:39 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
I just showed you that we had a 75% drop in gun related deaths from just prior to 1971 to date.

Don't now try and muddy the waters.  Those are the numbers.

I'm asking if the homicide or crime rates have been lowered as a result of the gun ban.

You know, as in "X" number of homicides each year, "X" number of crimes. Has that changed or been lowered as a result of the gun ban?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2005, 04:03:28 PM »
It is a silly question...you are trying to get me to pull stats to prove some point of yours.  Do you own research if you want to make a point...I'm not gonna do it for you.

:p
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2005, 04:09:19 PM »
I'm not trying to get you to do that. I have tried to look up Burmuda crime stats to no avail.

You know what I'm getting at anyway. I suspect that the crime rates have not changed or been lowered as a result of banning guns.

Now, when you say you have reduced "gun related deaths", I'm just wondering if overal homicides have been lowered as a result of the gun ban.

If the crime rates have not changed or been lowered, and the same average number of people are murdered in any given year, why does it matter that "gun related" homicides are down by 75%?

That's like saying you banned tire irons ( because someone used one to kill another), then claiming tire-iron related deaths are down.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2005, 04:11:40 PM »
You count the Guv's dog in that? :) Wouldn't it be 66% even if you counted the dog? 3 before.. 1 after.. "saved 2 (including the dog). You're the bean counter here.

Again..... how many deaths in the 35 years prior due to firearms crime?

You, of course, have no idea. So you base your opinion on..... what? Nothing? No data?

Violent crime on the rise

Bermuda's once shining reputation as safe and tranquil island paradise is being undermined by the continued proliferation of violent crime.

Year end crime statistics released yesterday by the Bermuda Police Service reveal a 13 percent increase in violent crime from 2003 and a more-than 20 percent increase from 2002.

Tell me Curval.. why doesn't Bermuda publish actual crime states like most of the rest of the developed countries? The Uniform Code stats? Because there's no trouble in paradise? Don't want to scare the touristas?

You guys have one of the highest incarceration rates if I'm not mistaken?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2005, 04:11:46 PM »
No...that is saying that in order to kill someone here you gotta get "up close and personal" and not risk "missing" and killing an innocent.

You know what stat would be REALLY interesting?  The number of ACCIDENTAL gun deaths per year here.  I'm guessing none.  How about you guys?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2005, 04:12:22 PM »
It is a silly question...

:p

Yeah, real silly to ask if banning guns has lowered your homicide rates. ;)

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2005, 04:15:21 PM »
No...that is saying that in order to kill someone here you gotta get "up close and personal" and not risk "missing" and killing an innocent.

You know what stat would be REALLY interesting?  The number of ACCIDENTAL gun deaths per year here.  I'm guessing none.  How about you guys?

What would be even more interesting would to see the total number of accidental deaths each year, then see how many are gun related.

Then maybe we could pick the highest causes of accidental deaths and just ban those. You know, things like swimming pools, alcohol, motorcycle riding, car driving and on and on......they cause more death than guns afterall.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2005, 04:16:16 PM »
"Tell me Curval.. why doesn't Bermuda publish actual crime states like most of the rest of the developed countries? The Uniform Code stats? Because there's no trouble in paradise? Don't want to scare the touristas? "

Dunno..you'll have to take that up with the government.

...and by the way...SURE I include the dog in that.  I place more value on my dogs that most "people".  I'm betting you feel similarly.
;)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2005, 04:17:11 PM »
Originally posted by NUKE
What would be even more interesting is to see the total number of accidental deaths each year, then see how many are gun related.

What would that prove?  Nothing.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2005, 04:17:40 PM »
I edited it Curval.....

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2005, 04:18:42 PM »
Curval, whats the main cause of accidental death in Burmuda?

Since you don't have guns, what do people use to murder people with now?

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2005, 04:19:07 PM »
And I'm sure Curval would like to closely examine accidental motor vehicle deaths with respect to accidental firearms deaths.

Let's see.. Bermuda has few big cars, right? Mostly just scooters? How yas doin' on the motor vehicle death stats?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2005, 04:22:36 PM »
LOL....what on earth do scotter accidents have "to do" with banning guns?

You guys are grasping at straws.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2005, 04:29:57 PM »
Curval, you are the one grasping at straws. You like to put "gun" deaths in a seperate catagory as any other deaths for some reason.

Do you not care about drownings in swimming pools, for instance?

And you are confusing the argument. It's not about guns, it's about homicide, crime and ( because you indroduced this) accidental deaths.

If you were honest with yourself, you would want to look into your homicide and crime rates, and see if banning guns lowered either.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
Crime Drops 99%!
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2005, 04:43:28 PM »
Nuke..banning guns is designed to decrease gun-related crime...correct?