Author Topic: Joystick adjustments affect flight response?  (Read 394 times)

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Joystick adjustments affect flight response?
« on: May 29, 2001, 05:39:00 PM »
Lephturn,

Is there any reduction in flight responsiviness when either the deadband or dampening are increased? It seemed the last time I tried to increase the dampening in roll my roll rate seemed to be slower.

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2001, 08:44:00 PM »
Spit,my are set just a tad above the bottom.. As you lift settings the slower responce is. Again, this may depend on the plane you fly. In an E fighter my settings are fine. If i was a Spit driver or flew T&B only i would raise the dampening & deadbands so im not flying in total blackout...

Dog out....

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2001, 11:18:00 PM »
Thanks Wardog.  I fly a bit of both so it should be interesting.  However, I'll probably tend more to T&B than B&Z tactics. Overall, I'm looking for the maximum responsivness.

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2001, 06:46:00 AM »
Right on... dampening delays your control inputs for that axis.  To see the result, crank the dampening up over 1/2 way and slap your stick over to one side.  Watch the graph, and you can see how long it takes to get full deflection.

For a TnB pilot especially, but really overall, you want the lowest dampening settings you can.  Only increase dampening if you are seeing nose bounce and you can't seem to get rid of it by trying to be smoother on the stick.  Before you try dampening, try some scaling adjustments and be sure your deadband is as low as possible.  Also try enabling combat trim and see if a bad trim condition is causing your bounce.  If you need to increase the dampening, do so in very small increments and watch the results on the control graph screen.

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 05-30-2001).]