Author Topic: whats with CV landings?  (Read 952 times)

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
whats with CV landings?
« on: February 28, 2005, 03:50:42 PM »
from what iv heard and read it seems that CV landings were a very hard feet to do in in WW2 and it still is today

but why in Aces high i can land a B26 JU88 Even a B24 on a CV and iv heard of lancasters and B17s and i can land almost all the planes in the planeset on a CV

heck if it was like this why not have those B25s after bombing japan come back and land back on the Hornet
:rolleyes:
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Mitchell

• Copper Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 04:16:05 PM »
In Aces High CVs move in a strait line nice and level and there is no wind.

In real life CVs were bobing all over the place do to waves and aircraft where affeced by wind.

Offline BlueJ1

• Platinum Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 04:40:06 PM »
And considering the fact that if we crash we just reup again.
U.S.N.
Aviation Electrician MH-60S
OEF 08-09'

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
Re: whats with CV landings?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 04:47:24 PM »
Originally posted by simshell
from what iv heard and read it seems that CV landings were a very hard feet to do in in WW2 and it still is today

but why in Aces high i can land a B26 JU88 Even a B24 on a CV and iv heard of lancasters and B17s and i can land almost all the planes in the planeset on a CV

heck if it was like this why not have those B25s after bombing japan come back and land back on the Hornet
:rolleyes:

Hey it took me 4 months to land on a cv, another 6 until i finnaly had the need to land a badly damaged b17 on one.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 05:12:58 PM »
Would the CV IRL be going full speed for landings?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline nsty1

• Copper Member
Re: whats with CV landings?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 05:51:33 PM »
Originally posted by simshell

:rolleyes: [/B]

If i'm not mistaken,the B25's couldn't carry enough fuel for the return trip and second,we couldn't afford to lose a CV to Japan.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 06:04:23 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184

No CV's don't run full speed, they do try to turn into the wing to minimise the effect of it pushing the plane left or right. They also tried to maintain a set speed, going by the wind across the deck. With a 20 knot wind blowing stem to stern, and a CV doing 20 knots it adds up to a 40 knot wind to help hold them planes in the air.

The modern CV has it tuffer as it has an angled deck for the landing approuch, which makes it a bit tuougher to get the wind blowing strait down the flight path.

Always loved to go out on the "catwalks" and watch the recoveries. Night ops was unbelievable !!

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 06:07:18 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184

yes , cv's always go full speed into the wind to give the A/C a low speed over the deck for both take off and landing.

i still can't land on CV, maybe 2 out of 5 if i pratice alot.

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 04:16:53 PM »
I have heard the rumor of bomber guys landing B17's  on CV's rearming and taking off again........but its just a rumor......

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 04:37:10 PM »
you know its possible 999000, just you lose your drones ;)
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 06:03:58 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
yes , cv's always go full speed into the wind to give the A/C a low speed over the deck for both take off and landing.

I was station onboard the USS Eisenhower CVN69 for over two years, and I can count on one hand how many times they pushed that thing to full speed. The only other time that ship shook that much, was when it went into full reverse to stop as fast as it could.... still ran about a mile before it could stop  :) It could knock you out of your bunk ! LOL!!

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 08:16:45 PM »
Biggest key to landing on cv is to look at FAR end of boat as ya approach--if ya look at aft, ya will run into it, or pull back on stick at last moment, get high, then push stick forward and slam into deck. I regularly land LW planes and re-up, not tried a bomber tho;
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline elc7367b

• Silver Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 10:59:11 PM »
Drones, what does 999000 need drones for, he shoots me down just by looking in my direction....a demon that one is  :)

Muttman
Sick Puppies

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2005, 12:01:12 AM »
landing and taking off in lancs from a CV can be done in fact for me now its like takin a heavy f4u off u just need to know when to lower flaps.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
whats with CV landings?
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2005, 07:38:11 AM »
I still think our battle group drives too fast...if they'd move slower, it would be harder to land I recon.