Author Topic: textures  (Read 862 times)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
textures
« on: March 01, 2005, 02:32:15 AM »
how do i give one of my objects a texture or its physical appearance?

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
textures
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 03:42:04 AM »
Textures are mapped in AC3D program, if yo are talking about a new self-made objects.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
textures
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 08:52:31 PM »
OK I figured it out, I had to 'merge' my object first. But now for some reason it wont build the object (ive built some before though) Probably something simple and I'll hit myself when I realize what it is.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
textures
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 01:16:05 PM »
Could you be more specific with your problem? There is not must for merging the polygons in ac3d, it just makes it easier to handle fewer objects in some cases.

"It wont build.." ?? Talking about Object editor, are you?

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
textures
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 01:58:40 PM »
yeah, when I built it in ac3d and converted to object editor the first time it didnt show up in the current shape window or in the terrain editor after I built it and moved it to the texsrc folder. After I merged it it shows up in the Current Shape window in the object editor, but the object editor wont build it now

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
textures
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 03:46:49 PM »
-Is the object hierarchy correct?

World
   Group 'Model'
         Group 'objects'
               Group 'str1'
                     o0
                     o1
                     o2
                  ..... etc.

-Howabout the group and object definitions for MaxDist, MinDist, etc?

-Are you using the .shp from newshp folder and the .htx file from your usrlib folder in your TE texsrc folder?

-Do you want me to take a look of your .ac file?

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
textures
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 06:23:09 PM »
Would appreciate it if you did look at it. whats your e-mail address?

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
textures
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2005, 08:49:50 AM »
I sent you an e-mail.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
textures
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 07:20:52 PM »
sent

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
textures
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 12:05:43 PM »
Originally posted by BlauK
-Is the object hierarchy correct?

World
   Group 'Model'
         Group 'objects'
               Group 'str1'
                     o0
                     o1
                     o2
                  ..... etc.

How in earth you can get that hierarchy order?

This is what I can get so far with my Race-Pylon object:

Group  "WORLD", v 0, s 0, kids 1
        Group  "group", v 0, s 0, kids 2 *
                Object "cylinder", v 8, s 9, kids 0
                Object "cylinder", v 8, s 9, kids 0

Total objects: 4   surfaces: 18   vertices: 16

(edit)
I'm totally newbie with 3D modeling
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 12:09:59 PM by Xjazz »

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
textures
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 02:04:43 PM »
Xjazz,
Best way to learn is to export some object (e.g. the HQ) from Object Editor and open it in ac3d.

Your objects are probably ok, as long as their object properties are written correctly (at least the MaxDist definition)

The lowest group  (your group 'group') has to be named e.g. as 'str0' and it also need the MaxDist definition. Name can be changed in a small window at left lower corner. Object properties can be written in F8 (Hierarchy tree) by right-cliking an item. F8 is a great place to select/unselect and hide/unhide groups and objects.

To be able to create furthe groups, you can make dymmy polygons which you group with your group 'str0'. This next group is 'objects'  ... and same definition again. Then select your dummy polygon from F8 tree (select object tool... not group) and delete the object.

Repeat the previous to create group 'Model' and add MaxDist definition again.

Another important thing is to keep al lobject and group centers at 0,0,0. You can use F9 to enter these coordinates for objects and to the highest group. But since it is impossible to select a group inside a group, you have to remember to look after the coordinates before you group a group in to a new group :)... sounds crrrrrazy :D

The group coordinate change from 0,0,0 especially when you group an old group wit a new dummy polygon. After deleting the dummy, change the new groups coordinates immediately. If you forget that, you have to ungroup the higher groups to get your hands on the lower ones. Same applies to changing group names. Do it immediately.

If these coordinates are not set properly, different parts of your final shape may appear in different places in OE and in game... even partly sunk under the ground... been there done that :)

I hope this helps you to beginning.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
textures
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 01:16:50 PM »
Thanks Blauk,

I will give another try :)

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
textures
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2005, 02:13:36 PM »
Originally posted by BlauK
Xjazz,
Best way to learn is to export some object (e.g. the HQ) from Object Editor and open it in ac3d.

Your objects are probably ok, as long as their object properties are written correctly (at least the MaxDist definition)

The lowest group  (your group 'group') has to be named e.g. as 'str0' and it also need the MaxDist definition. Name can be changed in a small window at left lower corner. Object properties can be written in F8 (Hierarchy tree) by right-cliking an item. F8 is a great place to select/unselect and hide/unhide groups and objects.

To be able to create furthe groups, you can make dymmy polygons which you group with your group 'str0'. This next group is 'objects'  ... and same definition again. Then select your dummy polygon from F8 tree (select object tool... not group) and delete the object.

Repeat the previous to create group 'Model' and add MaxDist definition again.

Another important thing is to keep al lobject and group centers at 0,0,0. You can use F9 to enter these coordinates for objects and to the highest group. But since it is impossible to select a group inside a group, you have to remember to look after the coordinates before you group a group in to a new group :)... sounds crrrrrazy :D

The group coordinate change from 0,0,0 especially when you group an old group wit a new dummy polygon. After deleting the dummy, change the new groups coordinates immediately. If you forget that, you have to ungroup the higher groups to get your hands on the lower ones. Same applies to changing group names. Do it immediately.

If these coordinates are not set properly, different parts of your final shape may appear in different places in OE and in game... even partly sunk under the ground... been there done that :)

I hope this helps you to beginning.

Can u email me plz ;)