Author Topic: Why do some people feel the need to sit near others?  (Read 855 times)

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Why do some people feel the need to sit near others?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2005, 04:03:45 PM »
Sadly that is really the guy I went to lunch with. I grew up with the bastard too. You have to watch your nuts around him. He has a tendacy to hit them with things.

He also hit me in the chest with a baseball I pitched to him once in highschool.   Thats sucked. Nothing like a baseball sized bruise on your chest with the seam marks and everything.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2005, 04:20:27 PM »
Well, some outlying areas still have an indian problem, and by living close to others, a modern settler can get a certain amount of protection in exchange for the slight inconvenience of seeing others occasionally.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2005, 04:22:27 PM »
No no, there were no indians, and if there were I am sure everyone would have snuck away from the anoying brit broad so they would scalp her.

Hey Anoying brit broad, thats prolly a good name for beetle. We can just shorten it to ABB.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2005, 04:32:08 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Thats right!!

Bastages!

Thats not the point, I am saying, why would they want to.

Let me make this simpler for you BBS comedians!

When chosing a seat in a restaraunt, do  you:

A: Sit right next to the clump of people already in an area

B: Chose a table near as few people as posible.

B- I look for the least populated area and sit with my back to a wall  preferably in a dark corner and where I can most easily view all entrances and exits. Including windows. While sneering and emiting semi quiet growling noises in the direction of anyone else that looks like they are  thinking of sitting near me;)
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
No no, there were no indians, and if there were I am sure everyone would have snuck away from the anoying brit broad so they would scalp her.

Hey Anoying brit broad, thats prolly a good name for beetle. We can just shorten it to ABB.

No indians on ElCamino? WTF? Where are thery all, did the H1B visas run out? Or was this during the daytime?

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2005, 05:01:18 PM »
FWIW,

I have found the same thing happens in parking lots.  Have an empy lot with one or two cars, not especially close to the entrance and .... yes that is where people (not myself) will park.  I expect someone has studies this and there is a formal discreption for this psychological phenomenon.  It probably helped people survive many millenia ago.  

I find it annoying as well.  

Regards,

Malta

p.s. If you get up and move after they are seated, they won't follow you.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2005, 05:03:09 PM »
Yes it's true,people are sheep. I noticed this some time ago.  They like to flock together.  Like GToRA I keep the speed up and there's always long gaps on the road with  small groups of cars snuggled up to each other. Who I usually overtake with one majestic sweeping movement. Sometimes!

I was in a nightclub with a group of guys. We were first in.  Three attractive girls were next.  I suggested to the lads that they would come over and sit next to us.           The guys were amazed when they did.  It's always the same. In any given situation people will always sit together given the chance even with strangers.  

The fix for it is to sit facing the door and as each person comes in, glare at them like a freak.  Soon everyone is clustered at the other side of the room giving you funny looks. It works on buses too.  The only risk is that a real freak comes in and comes straight over. :( .

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2005, 05:12:51 PM »
What is a soccer mum?

Do you mean the mother of a kid who plays football? ( you know the version you actualy play with your feet. The one everyone else plays apart from you guys!  )

;)

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2005, 05:16:41 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK
B- I look for the least populated area and sit with my back to a wall  preferably in a dark corner and where I can most easily view all entrances and exits. Including windows. While sneering and emiting semi quiet growling noises in the direction of anyone else that looks like they are  thinking of sitting near me;)

same here. usually a glaring look, cast in their direction, they move along to another area.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2005, 05:18:29 PM »
Could be they were just trying to get quicker service.

Offline DieAz

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2005, 05:18:38 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
The only risk is that a real freak comes in and comes straight over. :( .

then is the time, to get really freaky.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2005, 05:24:30 PM »
Originally posted by DREDIOCK

Heh.  Funny, I was going to say something very similar to this, then I realized its true and it made me sound a little paranoid..... perhaps I should seek professional help.  lol

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2005, 05:36:16 PM »
nope Funky, you go get the food, they don't bring it to ya.

Only one area was further then the rest.

I am leaning towards many people having a bit of the herd animal in them. Safety in numbers and all.

Was a good burger though if you are in the area try it.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2005, 05:41:14 PM »
Originally posted by cpxxx
The fix for it is to sit facing the door and as each person comes in, glare at them like a freak.  Soon everyone is clustered at the other side of the room giving you funny looks. It works on buses too.  The only risk is that a real freak comes in and comes straight over. :( .

:lol

I went to a large bus stop downtown one morning, going home after working the late shift.  Car was in the shop and I was already ticked off at having to ride the bus home.  There are 3 benches at this stop, and as I crossed the street I could see everyone sitting on the first two, and others bunched up under the overhang covering those two.  The other bench was empty save for this one guy who was talking to himself and growling.  Since it was raining and I had at least 15 minutes before the bus came there was no way I was packing in with all those others and I sure as heck wasnt going to stand in the rain.  So I marched on down to the end and sat down by Mr. Congeniality.  He just exploded, ranting and raving about me "pushing him around" and yelling about how all people in uniforms are a***oles.  He left and went to stand in the rain and I got the bench all to myself until the bus came.  :)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2005, 05:55:42 PM »
If you want to 'act' crazy for the purpose of getting some elbow room, it's usually hard to pull off because of how our minds are wired.  Record yourself trying to sound crazy, it's hard to keep up for more then a minute.

One thing you might try is to start talking about Aces High without providing any context.  That way, you have lots of material, and it won't sound like you're putting people on.

"So, the guys were booming and zooming all over the place and I was on channel one yelling COME BACK HERE YOU *******!  This one zero lagged all the way from A23 to A58 in like 5 seconds, and I exploded.  Then this other guy tried to turn and burn me in his mustang, but I was in the 109, so I cleaned his clock.  Tap tap tap, those shells were knocking at his cockpit door.  NEVERMORE quoth Raven04, nevermore!  But skuzzy is always on my case on the o'club, (animal snarl) can't even keep my (scream at the nearest person)AVATARD UP(look away, speak softly) because of the bouncy bouncies...."

To you and I, this sounds perfectly normal.  To a 'normal' on the street, it is incomprehensible.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis