Author Topic: Vancouver Tries Free Heroin Program  (Read 3264 times)

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Vancouver Tries Free Heroin Program
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2005, 06:59:35 AM »
Siaf there are many things more disgusting.

Addiction comes in many forms and is usualy a symptom of deeper causes.

Do you include smokers, alcoholics, gamblers, in your term "junkie"?

Actualy your idea about govt buying the Afghan poopy crop is not so daft. It might take a lot of that out of circulation. If a drug is legalised it can be regulated. Prohibition only makes it unregulated.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 07:02:03 AM by Skydancer »

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2005, 07:11:17 AM »
Any destructive addiction goes to the 'junkie' definition in my book.

Naturally there are levels, it's hard to kill yourself in the short run by smoking (unless you smoke at a gas station.)

Also by drinking it's quite hard to kill yourself although easyer than with smoking.

My wife smokes and the longer I live with an addict the clearer the pattern is. They need the fix desperately and it's increasingly annoying how it controls her. Luckily smoke doesn't kill immediately or even shorten the life of everyone.

Definately not something I'd do anyway even if I'm guilty of drinking a cognac now and then along with a coheba. :)

Well the coheba I did last time when my girl was born and I regreted doing that next morning - mouth and lungs felt like I ate an ashtray along with a bottle of cognac. I just can't understand how someone can suck that smoke on daily basis and actually need it too.

Skydancer what do you consider worse than a hepatitis ridden, AIDS wielding intravenous drug user ripping you off at gunpoint? The world does not need any of them.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 07:15:42 AM by Siaf__csf »

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2005, 07:18:58 AM »
As a trying to give up smoker. I can tell you that most times you actualy don't enjoy the smoke. Its something you do to feed the addiction to nicotene. And nicotene is V hard to quit. Ocasionaly a studmuffin is realy nice. after a long cold wet ride on the bike for example, or after a good meal. The addiction comes from the way the chemical interacts with the body to cause a physical dependancy. Illegal drugs can roughly be divided up into those that cause a physical/chemical dependancy and those that cause a psychological dependancy.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2005, 07:52:27 AM »
Skydancer there are several replacement treatments as well as medicine which will take the lust for nicotine away.

With a medicine treatment you have 2 weeks of time to get rid of the habit of smoking with no side effects.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2005, 08:07:07 AM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
Skydancer there are several replacement treatments as well as medicine which will take the lust for nicotine away.

With a medicine treatment you have 2 weeks of time to get rid of the habit of smoking with no side effects.

No side effects from Wellbutrin.. aside from the overall "blah" feeling, incredibly vivid, but extremely bizarre dreams, and the insomnia if you take the 2nd pill too late in the day. Does work like a champ though.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2005, 08:21:18 AM »
indy I meant nicotine side-effects not the actual treatment.

The medicine itself can make you depressive, even suicidal if you continue the use too long.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2005, 08:29:05 AM »
I believe that nash has a handle on it for a large portion of drug addicts... I also was and knew a large portion of drug addicts and..

In my circle... giving us free drugs would not have made us less of criminals or in any way stop our risky behavior.   some decrease maybe but not stop by any means...

It is not just drugs... the hole isn't filled by limitless drugs... I had access to limitless drugs for years and it simply made me less on the radar for pointless crime.  A better, smarter and more patient criminal..  

addicts don't live only for the drugs except for the time they don't have em... give em enough drugs and you still won't satisfy em.   The problem won't go away... I don't have the answer but I am afraid that the people who do simply tire of the life because of all the stuff that comes with it will simply have their hell prolonged by a free drugs program.   Sometimes death isn't the worst thing.

lazs

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2005, 09:01:54 AM »
If the government would slam every found addict directly to jail for a month. Repeat offense, back to slammer again.

A half dozen cold turkeys should do the trick - or the invidual is a masochist.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2005, 09:05:52 AM »
Jesus... shows what you know.

Just as many drugs inside as out.

You fancy yourself quite the little expert don't ya?

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2005, 09:07:41 AM »
I think Nash is missing the point.

Free drugs programs are not intended in any way to help the addicts, just to prevent them from stealing and to take away the profits from dealers.  Bottom line.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2005, 09:09:07 AM »
I can't see how anyone could obtain drugs while they're in solitary confinement for a month. Addicts shouldn't be let to fraternise with the other cons.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2005, 09:15:53 AM »
Originally posted by Curval
I think Nash is missing the point.

Free drugs programs are not intended in any way to help the addicts, just to prevent them from stealing and to take away the profits from dealers.  Bottom line.

Well then you didn't read my first post in this thread. Or get to the part where I said this was about crime/taxes.

Siaf... just because you can't see it (big suprise) doesn't mean it aint a reality.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2005, 09:21:16 AM »
Heh Nash. Solitary confinement means the inmate is not allowed to be in contact with anyone except guards at feeding time. Period.

If your law enforcement is so inept that you can't stop the spread of dope even in sc then you truly have a problem.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2005, 09:27:02 AM »
Solitary confinement? Wha?

They just don't throw people in solitary confinement. Ya know? Most folks in prison aint in solitary confinement. Or are you imagining some kind of dream world here?

You are one inspiring dude. So inspiring, in fact, that the next time a car thread pops up, I'm going to head right in there and tell everyone how to rebuild a mothershreckin' engine from scratch.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2005, 09:30:24 AM »
Well duh didn't I just say _should_?

You missed the half dozen cold turkey part too huh?

Read the post before you start whining about it.

The biggest problem about fighting addicts is all the nannying and political correctness that come in the way of efficient counteraction.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 09:32:36 AM by Siaf__csf »