Author Topic: Silent Hunter III Review  (Read 16665 times)

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #330 on: April 06, 2005, 11:54:08 AM »
lost my first carreer to wife ack. I'm doing much better this tour, 151 tons sunks.  My problem is my loyalty to my crew, I just can't seem to replace them. What is the plus and minus of trading up to better crew members? I don't see any crew members that are worth spending the points for, so my crew is getting up or over their original default points.

???

P.T. boats are little nasty gnats, armed trawlers are also little buggers, Will the deck gun out power their firepower? I haven't had the chance to find out, EVERYTIME I try to use the deck gun it is ALWAYS a storm. Used it once to finish off a cargo ship thats all.

NUTTZ

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #331 on: April 06, 2005, 12:01:50 PM »
I couldn't tell you, I avoid the small fish. Mostly because it's normally high seas and I can't man the deck gun.

The core of my crew started with my on the IIa and have built up a ton of experience. So I haven't 'bought' any crew since early on.

When I switched to the VIIb I just filled my crew with nubs. I did buy 1 officer who was rated as a gunner and watchman.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 12:06:17 PM by Wotan »

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #332 on: April 06, 2005, 12:04:21 PM »
Are historical dates modelled?  Eg, Dunkirk in 1940?  

I want to wreck havoc on some rowboats.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #333 on: April 06, 2005, 12:07:31 PM »
I believe so however the 'English Channel' in 1940 is very much 'English'.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #334 on: April 06, 2005, 02:58:13 PM »
Not yet Oct, but there's a campaign/map that's apparently comming. All they put in now are some minefields and sub nets... haven't ran into any myself yet. I am now in August 41, have my 1st coating on my IXB (I have the option to take the IXC... but it's dive is even slower... if only my aiming would allow me to carry less torps and go back to a VII :o )

Wotan, the only thing I've seen in Gibraltar so far are destroyers and planes... lots of those.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #335 on: April 06, 2005, 03:07:23 PM »
Originally posted by NUTTZ

P.T. boats are little nasty gnats, armed trawlers are also little buggers, Will the deck gun out power their firepower? I haven't had the chance to find out, EVERYTIME I try to use the deck gun it is ALWAYS a storm. Used it once to finish off a cargo ship thats all.

NUTTZ
[/QUOTE

In my Current Patrol (10) (May 1940) Ive been slotted for a Grid NW of Scapa Flow, Its my first real Atlantic Patrol.

I decided I would take the long way there, through the English Channel and in between the Two Main British Islands. Ive sank Two Coastal Merchants with my Deck Gun. And Nabbed a C2, afterwords I compressede time, BAM!

Im being fired on by an Armed Trawler, So I man the Deck Gun and 20mm AAA, I took two hits to the Conning tower, and I was suprised to see visual effects along the lines of Call of Duty when a shell explodes near you. The Blurred Vision Effect so to say.

I ended up sinking him with my deck gun, And recieved light damage From shells and small arms.

So yes, there not invincible, but I wouldnt reccomend it everytime you see one. Because they call the cavalary on you!

I havnt played in more than a week, because Ive been really busy. But as soon as I get some free time, I'm getting back in.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #336 on: April 06, 2005, 05:46:27 PM »
thanx for the reply, anyone else get an order to stay 24 hours in a grid thats land?

I checked, double checked, and triple checked the coords were right, they were, so i got as close to the shore as possible but still couldn't recieve a completed mission.

NUTTZ

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #337 on: April 06, 2005, 06:08:20 PM »
Wotan, the only thing I've seen in Gibraltar so far are destroyers and planes... lots of those.

AH thanks, I am not one to get confined into a narrow space. I went into Scapa Flow on my second patrol. I was able to slip in from the west at night in a IIa, I only saw destroyers and PT boats but nothing in the bay or moored at the docks. I hid out until the next night  and ran back out the western passage.

I made 1 trip to the English Channel in my IIa but only saw small merchants and a few nuetrals.

Once I got the IId with and the greater range I went around the tip of Scotland and caught many C2s. Once I made a check of the convoy routes north of Ireland I ran into large convoy after large convoy. Since then it's been bread and butter.

But with only 5 torps in the II's (I never take the electric as they are too slow at just 30 knots) I made a habbit of hitting just the large 10k and 11k ton tankers.

With the VII I am able to attack multiple convoys targetting just those large tankers.

Chasing after a trawler or lone 'coastal merchant' seems like a waste of a torp. If I cound get calm seas I would jump in the deck gun but so far the winter of '39 has been nothing but high seas.

I will start my 10th patrol (207k tons so far) tonight or tomorrow. Its now March 29th '40. I may check the southern approaches into Britain maybe the sea will be flatter there.

I have that map mod that shows the convoy routes which makes finding a good place to lie in wait easy enough.

I am after tonnage not so much just the 'kill' so if all else fails I will fall back to AM 51 / 52 / 53.

Nuttz,

I never had an issue with bad co-ordinates yet but I haven't updated to patch 1.1 or 1.2 due to Starforce.

Well I went up to 1.1 then uninstalled the game, did a fresh install, grabbed the No-DVD fix and used the Starforce removal utility. I wont patch up until I find a No-DVD fix for 1.1 / 1.2.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #338 on: April 06, 2005, 07:13:07 PM »
I started out with a VIIB.  I can't remember not having the option.  I know scoring Excellent in all categories in the Naval Academy gives a few more Renown points... not sure about a better sub.  Am I spoiling myself by not grabbing a Type II?
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #339 on: April 06, 2005, 08:13:35 PM »
I personally liked the IIA, I had it then switched for IID, Then VIIB followed by VIIC.

I cant wait for the VII's with the wintergartens, Its just something about all those AAA Guns, Makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Nath_____

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.beatdownposse.com
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #340 on: April 06, 2005, 09:22:42 PM »
280,000 tons, January 1941, since 1939.  13 patrols.  everything on max realism except for realistic torp reload...

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #341 on: April 06, 2005, 11:31:38 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius
I started out with a VIIB.  I can't remember not having the option.  I know scoring Excellent in all categories in the Naval Academy gives a few more Renown points... not sure about a better sub.  Am I spoiling myself by not grabbing a Type II?

I liked the IIa but liked the IId even better  because of the increased range. 27 crewman, 5 torps. Don't take the electric torps until mid '40 because you may end up with one breaching and detonating otw to target. The steam torps are faster (you can set their speed to S, M, F). If you are doing everything manually if you get inside 600m with a fast torp you calculations don't need to be spot on. Anything close will get you a hit.

I just finished patrol number 10 and have scored 230K. I just upgrade to the VIIc (dunno why, the VIIb was slightly faster on the water and submerged and had greater underwater range). I had 10,000 renown points. Patrol 11 will start in June (11th I think).

Number 10 was rough and  I returned to base with 70% hull damage. I killed a T3, T2, C2 and something else in the AM 51 / 52 / 53 sector. Again we had bad weather and visibility was reduced to 400m. I was hit with depth charges several times. I decided to emergency blow and run on the surface using the ships in the convoy as cover. I needed to create some space / time to allow my crew to make repairs. I would have stayed under but the destroyer had me zeroed in. I then double backed and out of visual in the rain storm. I thought I was clear but took a hit on the bridge by the destroyer. My watch officer was wounded as well as one of the enlisted men.

Both survived and have the 'wound badge'. I crashed divided  with full right rudder and descended fast to 70m then rigged silent and weaved north. I made it out and ran back to Wilhelmshaven.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #342 on: April 06, 2005, 11:54:24 PM »
I notice the AI is a bit wonky, I snuck into Scapa Flow and knocked off a few destroyers on my first patrol. I put into a small inlet just west to reload torpedoes and recharge.

In the morning a Destroyer spotted me from afar so I submerged to periscope depth, then two of his buddies joined. Wierd thing is they drove right up to the opposite side of the noodleula I was hiding behind, almost beaching. So I lef the inlet submerged, came around and nailed all 3 from behind as they were just sitting still, up against the shore, facing my old position.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #343 on: April 07, 2005, 12:45:28 AM »
I rode into a massive neutral fleet that had a greek C2 with a cannon which started shooting me. After I expended all my torpedoes, I couldn't use my cannon because of rough seas. So I drove in the middle of the fleet and snuck behind a tanker. As I guessed the C2 continued shooting me, scoring several hits on the tanker. :)

It didn't get too much damage though.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #344 on: April 07, 2005, 01:30:36 PM »
FINALLY picked up my copy today.

Wife is having a night out with the girls tonight.

Sometimes things work out pretty darn well.

How long do the tutorials take to complete?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain