Author Topic: Silent Hunter III Review  (Read 16666 times)

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #375 on: April 09, 2005, 08:02:38 PM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
Wotan, I can't remember the flotilla, but I got my Type IXb out of Lorient in the mid 40.

The ranking/medals are screwed up right now, I got the knight cross before the U-boot badge... and I was promoted to Snr Leutenant early 41.

The patrol I started with my new flotilla (10Th) is pretty much...empty so far except for the walls of water that reach the top of my periscope mast even when I'm on the surface.

I'm mid 42 and have my 1st radar! It's only effective in a 30 degree angle forward.... and I have no clue what range it has (anyone?).

I just headed back to ressuply in Brest, and am now headed to AM52/53 quadrant...

Lorient..? you must be in the 2nd Flotilla. It just became available. I put a request into Bdu for a transfer but they refused it.

I must need a few sorties in the seventh first.

At any time can we transfer to Bergen or a Norge base?

I just finished a patrol and am now a true 'Kaleun' (Kapitänleutnant; Lieutenant-Commander). It seems you need 10k renown to make Oberleutnant zur See (Lieutenant-Senior) and 25k to make Kapitänleutnant (Lieutenant-Commander). Those numbers are editable as well.

I got every medal there was by my 5th patrol. I even surpassed Rudel... I am sure those numbers are editable but I haven't looked.

I am into Oct '40 now but I do a patrol with just 8 days in port rather then 30 (default). That's editable as well.

How's that crush depth mod working for you? I haven't been deeper then 160m (crew starts yelling about approaching critical depth...).

I ran into another large convoy that had a Passenger Liner. I didn't sink it this time. At 26k tons its tempting target.

Once the Amis join the war I will be sure to hit them. I ran into it at AM29 (just north of AM 51 52 53. Those 3 sectors represent the 'Happy Times' for real. I had another 40K ton run killing tankers.

I have like 370k tons total already. At this rate I will be well over 1 million tons at the end '42 unless the British wake up and do a better job. I have yet to see an aircraft but I only made one close run to shore and that was at night when I went into Scapa Flow. It was deserted.

Do have the modded nav map that shows the convoy routes?

There's also a large map in your ...\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\documentation
folder. It's large and gives lotsa details on the good hunting areas.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #376 on: April 09, 2005, 08:18:34 PM »
Aug 13, 40. U-51 All hands lost.

On 10th mission my U51(VIIB) encountered a large convoy before reaching her patrol area of grid AM68. Captain SimWolf decided to attack convoy as it seemed an easy target. After firing all forward tubes, The U51 turned around and fired her last torpedo of this misfortunate career. Torpedoes struck and sunk: T3, Troop Transport and a small merchant that got in the way. Few minutes after U51 was sunk by destroyer with all hands lost.

On my final patrol I sunk 23,436t (career total ~70-80,000t)

1 X Class C destroyer
1 X T3
1 X Troop Transport
1 X Small Merchant.

My boat, compared to real U51 completed more missions, but she was sunk on same month! as her real life counterpart.
http://www.uboat.net/boats/u51.htm

Since I play DiD (dead is dead) I stated my second career. I upped realism to 100% and on first mission I did outstandingly well.
This time I selected 7th Flotillia, base Kiel, and on first patrol I was send to grid AM18 in brand new U-48 VIIB/1. On first patrol, a day after Briton declared war, I faced first ship: a nice and juicy C-2. It took three fishes to sink her: first fish missed completely, second struck rear section damaging rudder and propeller, and third fish struck side which caused massive, unrecoverable flooding. After arriving at my grid, my watchmen spotted what it seemed Coastal Merchant. Due to heavy seas and my poor firing solution I missed 3 times. Few hours after encounter, I received radio message saying that a large convoy is heading to my grid 140km away. After waiting for 23 hours for convoy to arrive to my position, I spotted first ship. Luckily, convoy did not have any protection. I got plenty of time to get firing solution and fired all of my fish. All torpedoes struck their assigned targets. Yet some ships managed to limp all the way home. After expending all of my fish, I radioed in my results and received order to return back to base.

After 15 days at sea my total is:

1 X C-2 (British) (Sunk on 7 Sep 1939)
1 X C-3 (American, it was carrying some type of bomber aircraft) (8 Sep 1939)
1 X T-2 (British) (8 Sep 1939)
1 X T-3 (British) (8 Sep 1939)

Sunk 4 ships for 36,781 tons.
Damaged 2 X C-2 or C-3 (stuck with 2 torpedoes each but did not sink)

:aok

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #377 on: April 09, 2005, 08:43:43 PM »
Good to see so many enjoying this great sim. But remember to also try a few campaigns after 43 as it's a totally different experience, more rewarding & challanging imho. Especially the convoy attacks,  I've yet to survive more then 6 patrols at 100% realism.  I'm now in Feb 44 operating out of Bergen and you certinly get the feeling of being the hunted rather then the hunter.

...-Gixer

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #378 on: April 09, 2005, 09:24:44 PM »
For the hell of it, I fired on civilians at Kiel with the 8.8cm deck gun, ignored my patrol area, and RTB'd within 5 minutes of ramming the dock.  I got a Knight's Cross with oak leaves... go figure :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #379 on: April 09, 2005, 09:34:43 PM »
If I didn't like SHII would I like SHIII?

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #380 on: April 09, 2005, 11:02:32 PM »
I hated SH2 out the box, complete garbage. I wasn't going to get SH3 but some friends talked me into it.

It depends on what you didn't like about SH2.

If you didn't like the gameplay then you wont like SH3. Its a very time consuming game.

If you didn't like SH2 because it was crap then you will like SH3.

Patched and repaired, fixed and replaced SH2 turned out ok. SH3 has it beat.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #381 on: April 10, 2005, 12:45:25 AM »
Originally posted by Octavius
For the hell of it, I fired on civilians at Kiel with the 8.8cm deck gun, ignored my patrol area, and RTB'd within 5 minutes of ramming the dock.  I got a Knight's Cross with oak leaves... go figure :)

It's because it takes bravery to face and combat the enemy. But it takes REAL bravery to ignore your orders, damage your boat and return to nazi Germany.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #382 on: April 10, 2005, 01:12:40 AM »
I reinstalled the modified map after patching to 1.2, and it doesn't seem to work anymore... so I'm relying to my paper map.

I'm on the 20th patrol, my tonnage is a bit high, since the 5/6 1st partols I did, I didn't use manual firing (:o ) and met 3 convoys before I had finished those... I now switched to 76% realism (Both views are on).

I have so what what I think as only one "death" (What was I thinking sneaking into portsmouth???).

Other deaths include: Discover that the nav map doesn't show the port outlines, and I crashed on the lighthouse.

And I now died 3 times to something that annoys me: Destroyers comming out of nowhere when the weather is "REALY" bad... I'm at 2048 TC... when I hear "Ship engaging us sir!" By the time I get on the bridge, the destroyer  is ramming me. :mad: . I makes me mad, because there is no f***ing way I'm going to return from a patrol 5000 Km away with a 1/1 TC...

I shot my 1st Amerikaner cargo ships yesterday... I am finaly able to shoot on those 'stars & stripes' booten as well :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 01:14:52 AM by Saintaw »
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #383 on: April 10, 2005, 09:42:26 AM »
Well I transferred to 2nd Flotilla out of Lorient, bought a IXb and sank the sob trying find my ****ing way out of the damned harbor at night.

WTF kinda maze is that...

Oh well time to start over. I have some other mods to try out we will see what happens...

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #384 on: April 10, 2005, 01:57:59 PM »
Happened to me too the 1st time :)

Go straight, then turn right after you reach the Uboot pens. Pass the lighthouse (stay close to it). Then set your waipoints on the map when you pass that one.

You'll need to edit your main.cfg (See the TC section for land proximity, I set mine to 64x).

I just transfered to the 12th in "La Spezza" and am headed out to Malta... I stuck with my IXb because I now have a sh*tload of enhancements on it... but looking at the average depth, I am craving a VIIC. I'm keeping my renown for a XXI though... it's aproximately 30K renown, or so I heard...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #385 on: April 10, 2005, 02:43:37 PM »
Why is it that I can see a green contact on my map, but no radar reports or sonar reports?

I have set intercept course only to appear to be right on top of the contact, but can't see anything on top or hear anything below?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #386 on: April 10, 2005, 03:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Why is it that I can see a green contact on my map, but no radar reports or sonar reports?

I have set intercept course only to appear to be right on top of the contact, but can't see anything on top or hear anything below?

Good question. I was wondering same thing. :confused: "Must be majic" - Mr Bean

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #387 on: April 10, 2005, 03:55:02 PM »

On the navigation map?
Move the mouse pointer over the contact and click to see the time of contact.
It doesn't follow the contact, just reports its position at time X.

If thats whats the problem.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #388 on: April 10, 2005, 04:24:56 PM »

Those are single ship contacts. Sent via radio by bdu and auto plotted on your map. Imagine they are relayed reports from other boats. The position information isnt 100% precise and changes over time. You basically get an idea of the sector and general heading and its up to you to set an intercept course and search.

FYI for those interested:

To remove those contacts markers:

Go into

C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Cfg

and look for the Contacts.cfg (test file)

You will have the below as default

[ContactSettings]
; Contact settings

Display Range To Opportunity Radio Contacts=300 ;[>0] kilometers
Display Range To Important Radio Contacts=1500 ;[>0] kilometers
Decay Time For Important Radio Contacts=172800 ;[>0] seconds
Decay Time For Opportunity Radio Contacts=32400 ;[>0] seconds
Decay Time For Imprecise Sensor Contacts=600 ;[>0] seconds
Decay Time For Precise Sensor Contacts=60 ;[>0] seconds
Single Contact Min Size=1 ;[>0] minimum numbers of units in this type of group
Small Contact Min Size=3 ;[>0] minimum numbers of units in this type of group
Medium Contact Min Size=7 ;[>0] minimum numbers of units in this type of group
Large Contact Min Size=13 ;[>0] minimum numbers of units in this type of group

you basically have 2 types of contact reports -

Opportunity - mostly single contacts

Important - mostly convoys.

In real life your radio man would have gotten many contact  reports. Your Kaleun would plot them on the map and make a descision on whether to investigate them. I doubt a Kaleun would chase a single contact report unless it was a real good target.

However, convoy reports would have peaked his interest.

The quick and easy way to eliminate the single ship contacts is just to set

Decay Time For Opportunity Radio Contacts=0 ;[>0] seconds

And you won't get any markers on the map for single ship contacts but you will still get convoy updates.

I choose not to have either and set both  decay time for important and opportunity to 0..

I also to increased range of convoy (important) contacts to 6000km.

You can also adjust the range (from your boat) at which you get contact reports from Bdu by modifying the following:

Display Range To Opportunity Radio Contacts=300 ;[>0] kilometers

Display Range To Important Radio Contacts=1500      ;[>0] kilometers

Your RA will still recieve contact reports but they will not be plotted on the map.

What this means is when an 'important' contact message is sent (convoy) you will get a text / audio mesage that reports the sector heading and speed of the convoy. I then plot this on the map manually with the nav tools and decide whether I can get their in time.  

I don't get any single ship contacts and have to spend time actually hunting rather then just responding to position / contact reports from bdu.

I just started a new career with the above settings.

In my last career I just used the a mod that changed the color of the contacts on the map to black-grey (just like your own uboat marker on the map). This way I still got all the updates but the contacts were plotted on the map in one color. This way I didn't know if they were nuetral or enemy etc...

It got realitivley easy and I ran up huge tonnage score so I am trying something different. I play with 100% realism (actually I sometimes kept external view on) I just renamed the umark.tga (Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Misc\UMark.tga)   to no.umark.tga. Now when I am submerged and want to get a screen shot the orange marker that shows up on the water above your boat (reprents your position under the water) isn't there.

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Silent Hunter III Review
« Reply #389 on: April 10, 2005, 04:27:55 PM »
You'll need to edit your main.cfg (See the TC section for land proximity, I set mine to 64x).

Yeah I have done that.  It just helped me die faster :p