Author Topic: When Are Going To Get The Raptor???  (Read 533 times)

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
When Are Going To Get The Raptor???
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 07:04:28 PM »
Originally posted by Gunslinger
Skuzzy,

In 1999 (I think) I was taking part in a Mass casualty evacuation drill down at Yuma MCAS.  We deployed to goodyear air field near phoenix/tuscon and were to be the casualties while helos, c-130s and the brand new V-22 were to swoop in and deliver us back to Yuma.

This was the time when the 22 went down with IIRC 16 Marines aboard.

A couple months later after they were done being grounded a buddy of mine out at camp lejune was supposed to perform "fast rope" drills from them.  Normally these arnt a problem being done from a CH-46 or A CH53.  But this day they were testing the V-22.  OVer half the platoon refused orders to get aboard because they had 6 months or less left in the Corps.

I pray that they have the bugs worked out of this air craft before they field it fleet wide.

The H-46 or Sea Knight has the worst record of any Navy/Marine Helicopter for losses not due to hostile fire...Plus they are much older than most pilots that fly them...Here in Norfolk the Navy has replaced em with a version of the HH-60 think we call it an MH-60 until the Osprey is online.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 10:43:06 PM »
Originally posted by ASTAC
The H-46 or Sea Knight has the worst record of any Navy/Marine Helicopter for losses not due to hostile fire...Plus they are much older than most pilots that fly them...Here in Norfolk the Navy has replaced em with a version of the HH-60 think we call it an MH-60 until the Osprey is online.

That's a good point actually.  I hear about 46s going down all the time killing the flight crew.  The difference, mostly irelevent though, is that you usually don't hear about them going down with a full compliment of Marines aboard.

What is relevent though, is that I hope they replace it with a product that is worth it and safe to operate.

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2005, 02:30:07 AM »
Why don't our forces just buy Russian SU's they seem to work OK.

Offline Schaden

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2005, 02:34:25 AM »
Originally posted by Skydancer
Why don't our forces just buy Russian SU's they seem to work OK.

Now THAT would be funny!!

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2005, 03:54:43 AM »
"Why don't our forces just buy Russian SU's they seem to work OK."

Indeed, their ejection seats in particular are top-of-the-line and have in fact been demonstrated several times at airshows.

J_A_B

Offline ASTAC

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2005, 07:54:35 AM »
Though the SU-27/30 etc..is one of the best lookin aitcraft and one of the better performers....I'd never wish them on our guys.
That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2005, 07:57:53 AM »
Originally posted by boxboy28
One thing about the F22 i just dont understand is the thrust vectoring.    You have the Russian SU's  with 2 axis (x,y)vectoring,   and we make a bird that  that only has X!

Seems like some one missed something.

Box.

They did build the.. X-31 I think to test 2d thrust vectoring. iirc, it could hold a 75 degree AOA while doing barrel rolls in level flight. It's not that they can't do it, the F-22 just doesn't need it =P

X-31 made for a pretty wild ride in Janes ATF Gold. No guns on it though :(

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2005, 08:20:05 AM »
Originally posted by J_A_B
"Why don't our forces just buy Russian SU's they seem to work OK."

Indeed, their ejection seats in particular are top-of-the-line and have in fact been demonstrated several times at airshows.

J_A_B

Bastard! :)

culero (cleaning toast w/pineapple jam off the monitor)
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey