Author Topic: wrong planes for the job  (Read 1975 times)

Offline DaddyAck

• Silver Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2005, 12:37:02 PM »
That is certianly food for thought:rolleyes:

Ultimately no matter what plane or tactic, there will always be some one whoom rather than learn how to counter it will fuss and moan about how it is unfair to them.  In my humble opinion, live and let die man. :cool:  Do not try to force every one to fly one plane with only one tactic. That is no fun indeed. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 12:51:08 PM by DaddyAck »

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2005, 02:41:57 PM »
LOLH,

You guys are all wraped up in the LA7 BS and missing the real problem.  
 Carriers are way to easy to kill.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2005, 04:05:59 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
LOLH,

You guys are all wraped up in the LA7 BS and missing the real problem.  
 Carriers are way to easy to kill.

Real life--one bomb hit on a cv deck will disrupt flight operations for a time, a time which is variable, of course.

Real life carrier sinkings and ord used:

Shokaku, 1944, 3 torpedos (6000 AH pounds) *
Ark Royal, 1943, 1 torpedo (2000 AH pounds) *
Akagi, 1942, 2-3 bombs (1000-1500 AH pounds) *
Hiryu, 1942, 4 bombs (2000 AH pounds) *
Hornet, 1943, 13 (count 'em) torpedos (26000 AH pounds) *
Yorktown, 1942, 3 bombs +2 torps (5500 AH pounds) *

But note that NOT ONE of these ships sank immediately.  It took from several hours to several days to finally sink, and in some cases more damage was needed.  However, each of these ships was effectively put out of the fight permanently by the initial damage.  Late in the war, when the USN had facilities and equipment to salvage severely damaged ships, repairs to them took several months.

8000 pounds in AH is a compromise, and seems balanced to me.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2005, 04:15:42 PM »
Yeah hubert and in real life after I killed you, you would be dead.:rolleyes:

Real life does not apply to game play, thank god HT understands this.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2005, 04:22:14 PM »
This thread is Gay.  Everyone knows the right way to sink CVs is to fire 1 to 2 second bursts from a Yak or SpitV.  Why waste a perfectly good lala :confused:
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2005, 04:25:02 PM »
what about that one CV in ww2 that wouldnt sink a few jap planes flew into it and the fire set some stuff off one guy said he stoped counting the explosions after i think it was somewhere in the 60 range then they didnt want to leave it tere so cruser lobed a few shells into it to sink it so they left the next day a jap sub found it and put some torps in it and it sunk

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2005, 04:57:27 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
 Would you fear a gaggle of high La7s more than a gaggle of high F4U-1Cs?
-- Todd/Leviathn

No more no less. To me they're just another adversary.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2005, 07:06:10 AM »
Originally posted by mars01
Yeah hubert and in real life after I killed you, you would be dead.:rolleyes:

Real life does not apply to game play, thank god HT understands this.

Well, I see your reading skills haven't improved. I believe I said,

"8000 pounds in AH is a compromise, and seems balanced to me "

Now, if (and that's a big if) you had a suggestion as to exactly how to change the way CVs work, someone might listen.  As it stands, you're just repeating a slight variation on the "strat is too easy to destroy and it ruins my furball and ack is too good and nobody will fight me ho weenies are evil and I am the UberPilot" whine.  I score you a 1.5 for originality and a .20 for content.  The Ukranian judge scored you even lower.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 07:08:30 AM by rshubert »

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2005, 07:22:23 AM »
Originally posted by TrueKill
what about that one CV in ww2 that wouldnt sink a few jap planes flew into it and the fire set some stuff off one guy said he stoped counting the explosions after i think it was somewhere in the 60 range then they didnt want to leave it tere so cruser lobed a few shells into it to sink it so they left the next day a jap sub found it and put some torps in it and it sunk

Someone's period key is broken ... :eek:
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2005, 08:15:05 AM »
Well, I see your reading skills haven't improved. I believe I said,

"8000 pounds in AH is a compromise, and seems balanced to me "

Now, if (and that's a big if) you had a suggestion as to exactly how to change the way CVs work, someone might listen. As it stands, you're just repeating a slight variation on the "strat is too easy to destroy and it ruins my furball and ack is too good and nobody will fight me ho weenies are evil and I am the UberPilot" whine. I score you a 1.5 for originality and a .20 for content. The Ukranian judge scored you even lower.

I see you ignorance hasn't improved either.  Go back under your rock Hubert.  Carriers are too soft, most people with half a brain know this.  If you broke away from your horde you might find it out for yourself.

Someone is listening, you, genius.  Your moronic comparison to real life is what is really stupid.  Don't worry if carriers were toughened up you could still fly around hiding amonst your fifty friendlies.

The poundage doesn't mean a thing if the carriers are not affective, which they are not.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 08:28:11 AM by mars01 »

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2005, 12:46:58 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Someone's period key is broken ... :eek:

im not shane i dont have periods:rofl

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2005, 08:58:33 PM »
perk the spit 5 :p

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2005, 09:03:35 PM »
Carriers are too soft, most people with half a brain know this.

And yet, the total ordnance required to kill the CV remains unchanged despite numerous suggestions, which, under your logic, implies that HT has less than a half brain?

ps) btw, maybe carriers are ineffective because people don't know how to use them. Are you sure you, know how to use them?

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2005, 10:16:43 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
ps) btw, maybe carriers are ineffective because people don't know how to use them. Are you sure you, know how to use them?

[sarcasm]Kwe, the correct way to use a carrier IS to drive it as close as possible to the coastline next to an enemy base and leave it there, even after you've given up attempting to capture the base you were "attacking"[/sarcasm]

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
wrong planes for the job
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2005, 11:34:12 PM »
[sarcasm] Right, Mako... I think it's obvious to everyone that 'retreating' the CV is what only ack-huggers and 2-bit cowards would do. A really skilled L33T vet would never do such a thing. He would up a (usually disadvantaged in performance) CV-based plane and fight with the most powerful land-based planes even against bad odds, and keep on fighting, until the CV is sunk. Since the CV keeps on sinking when you fight like that, it could only mean that the CV is too damned weak! [/sarcasm]