Author Topic: I am sickened  (Read 5054 times)

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
I am sickened
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2005, 07:02:23 PM »
well,  ive disabled FSAAx2 and AFx2 with this version and have STILL got HALF the frame rate that i used to have....something very fishy going on
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
I am sickened
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2005, 08:52:56 PM »
This is hilarious. I bet half the people with problems have a ton of spyware festering on their computer. They are probably burning cds and playing music from itunes while connecting thru AOL to play ah2 at 1600x1200.

I’ve seen computers (namely my backup) barely above minimum specs run the game perfectly fine.

FIRST OFF...clean your computer out. Don’t have 1000 programs running in the background... then make sure you are running current drivers and that you have no video and audio irq conflicts.
Download Adaware, Spybot, AntiVir (all free) and run complete scans with each of those at least twice. If you find more than 500 spy ware programs, you should stop going to haxxor.com to find serial numbers for the version of photoshop 5.5 you downloaded off of kazaa. After you CLEAN YOUR COMPUTER, then focus on what processes are necessary and which are not. It’s a pretty good bet that 50% or more of the crap that is running in the background is not needed.  After you weed out all of the garbage, go to your graphic settings in windows. There will usually be a 3d tab somewhere. Go to that and turn the settings from "quality" down to "performance" Turn off any AA or any other "effects". Load up aces high and to start, use the 128bit textures at a res of 1024x768. 800x600 is not playable IMO. Go into the video settings and turn off all effects....adjust your graphics sliders till you have a good mix of frame rate and detail. If you’ve done all that and it still is crap...go buy an Xbox.

I apologize for my poor spelling and grammar…I’m an American.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
I am sickened
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2005, 05:55:24 AM »
Originally posted by BigR
This is hilarious. I bet half the people with problems have a ton of spyware festering on their computer. They are probably burning cds and playing music from itunes while connecting thru AOL to play ah2 at 1600x1200.

I’ve seen computers (namely my backup) barely above minimum specs run the game perfectly fine.

FIRST OFF...clean your computer out. Don’t have 1000 programs running in the background... then make sure you are running current drivers and that you have no video and audio irq conflicts.
Download Adaware, Spybot, AntiVir (all free) and run complete scans with each of those at least twice. If you find more than 500 spy ware programs, you should stop going to haxxor.com to find serial numbers for the version of photoshop 5.5 you downloaded off of kazaa. After you CLEAN YOUR COMPUTER, then focus on what processes are necessary and which are not. It’s a pretty good bet that 50% or more of the crap that is running in the background is not needed.  After you weed out all of the garbage, go to your graphic settings in windows. There will usually be a 3d tab somewhere. Go to that and turn the settings from "quality" down to "performance" Turn off any AA or any other "effects". Load up aces high and to start, use the 128bit textures at a res of 1024x768. 800x600 is not playable IMO. Go into the video settings and turn off all effects....adjust your graphics sliders till you have a good mix of frame rate and detail. If you’ve done all that and it still is crap...go buy an Xbox.

I apologize for my poor spelling and grammar…I’m an American.

so how do you explain that my computer is CLEAN, and a fresh install on a stripe raid?

oh and that it runs MUCH BETTER LOOKING GAMES at MUCH BETTER GFX SETTINGS?

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
I am sickened
« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2005, 12:51:25 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
I have a 1.6 w/ 512 ram ,and a 128mb gforce. I have to king my sliders full right at 1024 to maintain 30+ fps.

I'm getting 85 in the tower, high 50's low 60's elsewhere at 1024/512 with an XP3200, overclocked (450/450) 265M 5700le, 1G dual ch PC 3200.

It's not 'all' about your hardware, but getting the most out of it.

If Windows is porked, or you have a million processes running along with the game your performance will suffer.

Some of you might try this... ctrl+alt+del before you run the game and check the 'processes' tab for how many additional resource hogging processes you have running. Things like spoolsv.exe (for printing) or realsched.exe (real player auto update) that take up 6M can be killed. I can kill off 6 or 7 un-needed apps and free up close to 40M.

I wouldn't start killing off processes if you don't know what they're for, but I'm sure some gamer geek website has a nice list of processes you can safely murder.

Not only to I have every little 'agent' app (the icons in the lower right) off, I run no viri / firewall apps or un-needed processes.. basically I run a kind of "stripped down" Windows and the game... and that's it.

Now I have this crippled Windows set up on a seperate drive with a clean install that I boot off of to game, but you can get similar results by setting up a new "game" user account, then using msconfig to keep these processes from starting at all.

Granted I'd need to re-boot to resume net surfing / whatever else, but the game runs a lot better.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
I am sickened
« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2005, 01:50:12 PM »
Originally posted by Overlag
so how do you explain that my computer is CLEAN, and a fresh install on a stripe raid?

oh and that it runs MUCH BETTER LOOKING GAMES at MUCH BETTER GFX SETTINGS?

Unless you are talking flight sim with similar amount of online traffic it is just 2 different subjects. HT has stated this many times. You absolutly cannot compare an FPS to a flight sim.

I've flown some of the other flight sims. CFS3 would not run well at all on my system, LOMAC was not much better. AH ran fine up until 2.03. It was tollerable after 2.03 but I went and got a GeForce 6600GT. It has helped a lot especially in the low furballs. My FPS rides around 40 most times but does not drop off like it used to in the furballs. I get ~30+ in furballs now.

Another thing, DRIVERS. I have solved many things from low FPS to discos by upgrading or installing the PROPER driver. That may not be the latest driver release as some new drivers (NVidia for one) don't work as well with older cards.

There comes a time if your 'puter is just not cooperating like you think it should, whack it and reload. Yes I know it sucks but sometimes it just has to be done. Another thing that can help is to re-apply the latest service pack for Windows.  Especially if you've had any instances of your computer locking up and having to hard power down the system. Lastly I always reboot my system before I play. This seems to help out a lot.

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
I am sickened
« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2005, 02:01:12 PM »
Overlag, Your system is about the same as mine except I’m running an x800xt. I don’t really ever have problems. But as a closer comparison, I will use my laptop. Laptop is a gateway AMD64 3400 with ATI9550 graphics. At 1024x768 I never see below 40fps. That’s with default detail settings cause I have never adjusted them on my laptop. There has got to be something running somewhere that is conflicting with the game. Check for IRQ conflicts. Also, disable the raid in your bios and see what effect it has.

By the way, I wasn’t directing my comments at you specifically. They were directed at the many people who complain about how porked the game is without realizing how porked their computer and setup is.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
I am sickened
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2005, 04:27:55 PM »
its just a pain in the backside this

ive reduced from fsaa x2 and af x2 to fsaa x0 and af x0. Ive also moved the sliders in the game, a further inch to performance...around the half way mark.

result? fps just about the same as before although still much lower on the deck... however my game now looks like AHI:rolleyes:

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
I am sickened
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2005, 06:10:03 PM »
I wouldn't start killing off processes if you don't know what they're for, but I'm sure some gamer geek website has a nice list of processes you can safely murder.

I did exactly that, hit ctrl/alt/delete and started turning stuff off. I dont think Win XP lets you shut down anything critical. The 13 processes I have running in the background are all things Windows wont let me shut off.

Upside to this is now I recognize any *new* processes and immediately google them to see if they are some sort of mal-ware.

For a game with min specs of PIII 850, 32m vid card and directx 9.0 it sure runs crappy on systems that are twice as fast, or even 4 times as fast.

Some probably do have far to many processes running, maybe some spyware in there somewhere, but the majority of posters here seem to know how to run a clean machine. I do, thanks to Silat.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
I am sickened
« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2005, 10:26:50 AM »
http://www.blackviper.com has some good xp tweak advice
 oops, seems to be down at the moment

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
I am sickened
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2005, 01:15:24 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie
I did exactly that, hit ctrl/alt/delete and started turning stuff off. I dont think Win XP lets you shut down anything critical. The 13 processes I have running in the background are all things Windows wont let me shut off.

Upside to this is now I recognize any *new* processes and immediately google them to see if they are some sort of mal-ware.

that is exactly what i do aswell , im running 11 proccess's with xp sp2  was at 9 with sp1 . if you dont tweak what xp is running i think the number of proccess's are in the  high 20's to low 30's with a fresh install.  ....    38

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
I am sickened
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2005, 02:29:14 PM »
Most problems I see in this thread are related to the over-extending of system resources.  Even the fastest CPU and video card are going to choke if you run out of resources.

As an example, you cannot run 4X AA @ 1280x1024 with 1024 textures and skins enabled.  It will kill your frame rate.  The video card would need over 1GB of ram to do that.

People seem to equate the speed of the hardware to being able to do all that.  It has nothing to do with the speed of the hardware.  It is solely about resource management.
Unfortunately, the video card ram usage does not appear to be reported correctly from most video cards, which leads people to think they can get away with the above scenario.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
I am sickened
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2005, 03:30:40 PM »
Thank you skuzzy.

Makes perfect sense.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
I am sickened
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2005, 05:18:33 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Most problems I see in this thread are related to the over-extending of system resources.  Even the fastest CPU and video card are going to choke if you run out of resources.

As an example, you cannot run 4X AA @ 1280x1024 with 1024 textures and skins enabled.  It will kill your frame rate.  The video card would need over 1GB of ram to do that.

People seem to equate the speed of the hardware to being able to do all that.  It has nothing to do with the speed of the hardware.  It is solely about resource management.
Unfortunately, the video card ram usage does not appear to be reported correctly from most video cards, which leads people to think they can get away with the above scenario.

can you explain to me why it worked fine with version 2.02 but not 2.03?

FSAAx2 @ 1280x1024 with 512kb textures didnt tax my system before 2.03 , and its fine with all other games. And FSAA isnt anything to do with the extra caculations AH does, compaired to a "standard" shoot em up or AI based sim so you cant blame it on that?

not being nasty but i just feel the tree textures are over doing it for a flight sim now. I mean sure the higher res plane/tank skins are great, the better explosions etc etc but once you get down to the trees the game is unplayable

edit: just think the LOD needs to be reduced for trees when your in a plane, no matter how low you go. only have full quality if your in a tank........
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 05:30:10 PM by Overlag »

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
I am sickened
« Reply #133 on: April 20, 2005, 05:48:35 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Skuzzy, this is a serious question, not meant as a knock or anything....

why does the game give the option for settings like that if it is not possible for a system to do that? i dont understand alot about game design (well nothing) but what it makes me think is shouldn't the game be made to allow the highest settings in it's core? meaning, games like doom and the like you can run the highest settings with 4x AA, and it will be playable, even on my ti4800 i can run it 1 notch down from the best graphic settings.

i guess i dont understand why 1024 textures are designed for use in the game, but can't be used in an optimal setting with the current technology out there.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
I am sickened
« Reply #134 on: April 20, 2005, 06:38:05 PM »
Originally posted by JB73
Skuzzy, this is a serious question, not meant as a knock or anything....

why does the game give the option for settings like that if it is not possible for a system to do that? i dont understand alot about game design (well nothing) but what it makes me think is shouldn't the game be made to allow the highest settings in it's core? meaning, games like doom and the like you can run the highest settings with 4x AA, and it will be playable, even on my ti4800 i can run it 1 notch down from the best graphic settings.

i guess i dont understand why 1024 textures are designed for use in the game, but can't be used in an optimal setting with the current technology out there.

FSAA will automaticaly be disabled if it cannot fit all the textures into memory

this is why some people report better FPS at FSAAx6 than at FSAAx2....cos at x6 its OFF! lol

im not sure why skuzzy says that really. the difference between x0 and x2 in most of my games is really small. the old way of doing FSAA was something like making 2 images PER frame (ie double the work) however its done in a much better way now...i think...im no expert tho so could be totaly wrong??