Author Topic: Question for HTC, Relevant to everyone  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
Question for HTC, Relevant to everyone
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2005, 03:52:25 PM »
Especially if they say "It's for the good of the children." A way overused phrase used to push an agenda.

I use that phrase all the time (well, something similar). How am I pushing an agenda? I have 2 young girls in my home, 10 yrs and 19 months. There are things they just dont need to hear.

hub, I dont think HTC is going to post any guidelines in public for reasons stated above by others. Your best bet is probably to email them with your concerns and discuss it with them privately.

I think many are blowing this whole issue way out of proportion.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2005, 04:12:31 PM »
Act like you're hangin with your Grandmother and you should be ok.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2005, 04:15:47 PM »
Originally posted by aztec

Alot of truth there :)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
TOS rules
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2005, 04:57:49 PM »
I was a moderator on Air Warrior.   The goal was to make an environment where kids could play without excessive exposure to vulgarity and obscenity (sp?).

That said, different folks have different standards.  The best attempts were made to enforce a norm that was comfortable to the game providers and most players.

You can't stop adults from behaving like children.   The occasional bad word when you get shot down isn't the issue, it's the on-going vulgarity that should be controlled.

Honestly, no one posting here is ignorant of what is appropriate with children present.

-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline Demman

• Zinc Member
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2005, 08:15:21 PM »

Heh.  You don't know my grandmother.  A pre-World War 1 Berlin street urchin, that gal had a vocabulary that could make a Marine drill sergant blush.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2005, 08:22:24 PM »
Originally posted by Demman
Heh.  You don't know my grandmother.  A pre-World War 1 Berlin street urchin, that gal had a vocabulary that could make a Marine drill sergant blush.

and if your grandmas like that, your best friends grandma...

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Question for HTC, Relevant to everyone
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2005, 10:53:06 PM »
Originally posted by DeacBlue
Um, how about "Act your age, not your IQ"?

Suppose for a second that my age is 25, and my IQ is 180.  I think I would rather behave to the maturity level of the 180 rather than the 25.   :D

I really don't have any comments besides that.  I'm gonna go hang with Elfie's grandma now  
:p

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Question for HTC, Relevant to everyone
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2005, 11:13:49 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
Again, I'm looking for an answer from HTC that we can all see for ourselves, not the various theories on it. I'm not phased by occasional profanity, but I can't stand the guys who spam range channel with pointless discussions, argue, etc. Just saying 'no profanity' wouldn't do it. Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with profanity and racial slurs in their as well, but what are the specifics? Do we report the guys that sit on the ground in an m3 and b*tch? The guys who scream and yell about no 6 calls? Range spamming? (had a guy the other night keep range vox filled with a play by play of every hit he took, while in the middle of a fight. he simply would not shut up.) I consider that abuse. does htc? Each of the sides have those guys who will fill country text with some variation of "you guys suck, get organized and win the war", normally filled with insults and masked profanity. Is that abuse? If masked profanity is abuse, what about WTFG?

Also, does the report command log what has recently been said, or what is said following the .report entry?
While I appreciate that everyone has an opinion on this, and a few will offer it, I'd like to see something from the boss.

RE:  Bold type above.  

I'm sick and tired of this crap as well.   I find this worse than the occasional cussing.  

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2005, 11:39:57 PM »
Okay, listen, I'm not looking for any of your inputs on how I should act.
 I'M LOOKING FOR SOME SORT OF GUIDELINES SO I CAN KNOW WHAT I'M ALLOWED/ENCOURAGED TO REPORT, AND WHAT I'M NOT, SO THAT I DON'T SUDDENLY GET MY COMM PRIVILEGES WIPED FOR REPORTING SOME OF THE BS I FIND TO BE AN ABUSE OF COMMS OR JUST SIMPLY OFFENSIVE.

Are any of you armchair philosophers citing the evils of a definitive set of rules regarding text/voice communications able to wrap your lil heads around what I'm asking here?

Fair enough. But I'm not philosophizing, I speak from experience. I was a moderator in Air Warrior for several years and a large part of hat was served in charge of TOS violations. I warned players when they violated the rules, gave them a temporary ban when warrented, and recommended them for permanent ban when needed. Part of my duties were to read the complaints (they had a system like HTC is starting) and review the logs to see what actually transpired.

I seldom had to action a player for misuse of the complaint system. Usually a simple form letter informing them of misuse did the job.

I suggest you only concern yourself with major violations, but first nicely ask the player to stop. If he's beligerant and keeps it up, send a complaint. One other suggestion, often players get angry when they get trodded on and go off the handle. It happens to me. Try cooling them down and use some humor to defuse them. Maybe get them to log for a few minutes to chill out. But ifthey only gets more irritated and keeps yelling, use your judgement on making a complaint. I prefer to only go after those who are intentionally causing trouble.

Doing these things will make it easier on HiTech so he will have more time to coad, and you won't have to worry about misuse of the complaint system.

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2005, 12:11:56 AM »
yah, what Grizzly said.

I think the point is to find offenders and not define the limits of verbal abuse accepted by a given society.

(call me an armchair philosepher and I'm comin down there to beat the crap outta you).

Ya see , my pals would laugh at that, an uptight stranger would report me. So where's the line?

Forget it, I doubt HT is gunna attempt to put in 'writing' guidlines that the FCC has been trying to do for twenty years now. Your dreaming. I have an idea, show me the same list you want here, that is written for television? You won't find one, and there's a heck of a lot more people involved in viewing, writing for and governing T.V.

I think it's just a reporting service to save people from taking a screenshot and emailing HT.

I think your list will be short, kinda like this...

Rule 1: Show up on the abuse list too many times and you're out.
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2005, 12:34:31 AM »

Might not wanna use that example. I know quite a few grandmothers whos language could make a good deal of people here blush LOL
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2005, 04:39:10 AM »
OK, act like you're hangin with someone you like and respect. Is a tough one for a lot of people here but honestly it's already been said folks. If you have to ask how to comport yourself in public venues then this new feature was surely implemented for you.

Offline aztec

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2005, 04:53:07 AM »
Okay, listen, I'm not looking for any of your inputs on how I should act.
 I'M LOOKING FOR SOME SORT OF GUIDELINES SO I CAN KNOW WHAT I'M ALLOWED/ENCOURAGED TO REPORT, AND WHAT I'M NOT, SO THAT I DON'T SUDDENLY GET MY COMM PRIVILEGES WIPED FOR REPORTING SOME OF THE BS I FIND TO BE AN ABUSE OF COMMS OR JUST SIMPLY OFFENSIVE.

hub

OK, take a deep breath Hubs. I seriously doubt you will lose your comm privs for reporting someone who you feel is being abusive/offensive. Do you think  HTC implemeted this to whack those who complain about offensive behavior?

Offline ThunderEGG

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2005, 06:21:31 AM »
My approach to communicating on this game is to be respectful of others, civil when having differences with other people,  and keeping in mind that my kids as well as other parents kids are watching  and/or playing.  You never know.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2005, 09:37:20 AM »
Everyone seem to miss the simplicity of the .report, It does not need a set of rules, that is automatic because the rules are what the communtiy chooses to report. I.E. you don't like what some one is saying , feel free to report them. Nothing is going to happen with just 1 report.

HiTech