Author Topic: Question for HTC, Relevant to everyone  (Read 2080 times)

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
Question for HTC, Relevant to everyone
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2005, 12:01:37 PM »
vox populi....

i trust there's a counter-weight in place.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Magoo

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2005, 12:14:59 PM »
So what we have here is akin to a "true" Democracy, AKA "Mob Rule"?

In that case I say we all report Shane for being shane:D...

Counter weight? We don't need no stinkin' counterweights!

Magoo
A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all!

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2005, 12:21:47 PM »
Originally posted by Magoo
So what we have here is akin to a "true" Democracy, AKA "Mob Rule"?

In that case I say we all report Shane for being shane:D...

Counter weight? We don't need no stinkin' counterweights!

Magoo

Done and done, and I mean done.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2005, 04:32:22 PM »
I really don't have any comments besides that. I'm gonna go hang with Elfie's grandma now

You might want to rethink that Howi hehe. My grandma would make sure you kept your ducks in line, and if you didnt, one sentence and a look that could wake the dead would make you feel 1 inch tall and want to go crawl under a rock. She is brutal :lol
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2005, 05:32:34 PM »
Originally posted by Elfie
You might want to rethink that Howi hehe. My grandma would make sure you kept your ducks in line, and if you didnt, one sentence and a look that could wake the dead would make you feel 1 inch tall and want to go crawl under a rock. She is brutal :lol

so that's who aunt bee is!!!

:eek:
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2005, 06:48:18 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
so that's who aunt bee is!!!

:eek:

Sorry, my grandma doesnt own a computer :)
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline EPER

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2005, 12:22:01 AM »
ASK GEOGE CARLIN

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2005, 04:28:16 AM »
Originally posted by Grizzly
Fair enough. But I'm not philosophizing, I speak from experience. I was a moderator in Air Warrior for several years and a large part of hat was served in charge of TOS violations.  

I worked the arenas also. Difference is that we were a VISIBLE presence and were not hiding. We had our rules to follow with a strong support base.
Being visible and supported is the key.
HTC doesnt follow that principal.
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2005, 10:27:08 AM »
Same here, Silat.

Live reps made a difference in the arenas before AOL. They were chosen carefully. Their word was law. If you didn't like it, leave. If you let fly with a bunch of verbal abuse you were forcefully removed.  Live reps doing TOS in AOL was a royal pain.

It was simple in those days and everyone still had fun. Those that wanted to fly didn't participate in petty abuse. Those that did weren't around much.

It didn't take any rocket scientists to learn right away what was acceptable and what wasn't and as the small print suggested, they had the right to refuse service to anyone as required. :)

I remember some dude screaming verbal abuse at someone and "BOOT" he was gone. He came back an hour later and began again. Before he could get two words out "BOOT", gone. He tried once more "BOOT".  The next time he showed he was like the rest of the community players. The guy turned out to be a pretty good dude once he learned the error of his ways.
Simple, direct, quick, gets an instant response and fixes it. No animosity. Just a direct response to the abuse. No grudges held by the guy doing the booting. We weren't there to pick on anyone. Just enforce the rules.

Not like the TOS system in AOL. That was a joke.

AOL went off the deep end. But thats another story.

HTC runs things his way. Not much new there. Not much to complain about for those with a good dispostiion. Other than complaining about the abusers and he has a reporting function in place now.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 10:29:18 AM by DamnedRen »

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2005, 10:44:46 AM »
I got your TOS right here.

HTC does provide a service to inform people when they cross the line. It's called a moderator warning. If you are told not to say or do something and you are stupid enough to continue doing it anyway, you've earned your time off and have no one to blame but yourself.

I think you missed hubsonfire's point.  hubsonfire is right, HCT needs to step up.  I had no idea that there was something called a moderator in the game.    Is that information in the game rules or instructions or the online help?  

Shane also made an interesting point, if as Shane indicated, he spent several hours reporting people what happens to them?

What exactly does happen when the .report process is used?

one last thing, hubsonfire, this may not be the thread in which to post your questions to HTC.  Not sure whice one is.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2005, 01:54:13 PM »
Originally posted by Silat
I worked the arenas also. Difference is that we were a VISIBLE presence and were not hiding. We had our rules to follow with a strong support base.
Being visible and supported is the key.
HTC doesnt follow that principal.

Yes, I agree Silat, but that's not HiTech's policy. In AW the monitors also provided player assistance, which was actually their major task. That necessitated being readily identifyable and available to the players. For a while there we weren't even allowed to play while on duty. It was a much more formal process and the monitors provided a service. But it also required a lot of management.

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2005, 02:06:56 PM »
Originally posted by Traveler
I think you missed hubsonfire's point.  hubsonfire is right, HCT needs to step up.  I had no idea that there was something called a moderator in the game.    Is that information in the game rules or instructions or the online help?  

Shane also made an interesting point, if as Shane indicated, he spent several hours reporting people what happens to them?

What exactly does happen when the .report process is used?

one last thing, hubsonfire, this may not be the thread in which to post your questions to HTC.  Not sure whice one is.

I think my point was that the players don't have to know there are moderators or have a list of naughty words. All they need is to use good judgement. But if they need to know they crossed the line, the moderators will inform them.

From experience, what happens to players with complaints is not public information. (How would you like it if you got in trouble and found your name plastered on the boards?) All the players need to know is that HTC is the place to go if you have a TOS question or complaint, not the BBs.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2005, 07:48:21 PM »
"I worked the arenas also.

Spoken like a true tart!    ;)

FWIW.  In the past when my patience was exhausted with some ill mannered online muh_roon I've briskly shoved the joytick aside, picked up my English "Bobby" whistle and blew it at the arena pissant till my face turned purple.    
 Pissed my wife off for waking the kids that's for sure but believe me her anger was nothing compared to how ripping mad I got when I found I was being ignored by the online tard.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2005, 07:53:33 PM »
Yes, I agree Silat, but that's not HiTech's policy. In AW the monitors also provided player assistance, which was actually their major task. That necessitated being readily identifyable and available to the players. For a while there we weren't even allowed to play while on duty. It was a much more formal process and the monitors provided a service. But it also required a lot of management.

It was a buncha garbage dreamed up by corporate empty suits.

Ren

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2005, 09:49:58 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
It was a buncha garbage dreamed up by corporate empty suits.

Ren

Perhaps so. The point is it was their decision to make, not yours.