Author Topic: I'm Not Moving to Scandanavia After All...  (Read 2458 times)

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
I'm Not Moving to Scandanavia After All...
« on: April 18, 2005, 03:31:15 AM »
Who woulda thunk it, they aren't actually rich.  Their claims of affluence are just a mirage, a statistical distortion.  I guess I'll move to that other utopia, Canada.
NYT Article

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 03:37:09 AM »
Even the humblest of meals - a large pizza delivered from Oslo's most popular pizza joint - will run from $34 to $48, including delivery fee and a 25 percent value added tax.

There, It's not 50$. Maybe with extra cheese it might be...

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 04:20:55 AM »
Here you can get two pizzas delivered to your door with 10€.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 05:16:27 AM »
What this article failed to realize is that the value of the scandinavian system is based on fair distribution of wealth.

Nobody questions the living standards of the higher class americans. The gap in US is just way higher than in most other countries. A huge amount of people are living below poverty level in the US. Not so in scandinavia. You don't see homeless people wandering around the streets. You don't see people struggling with 3 jobs to make a daily living.

What you do see however is a large amount of young people living on social security that find thier lives so easy that they won't even bother to find work. The state pays the rent, gas, electricity and basic necessities such as food and clothing. They get enough cash per month to invest in new tv's, amplifiers, speakers etc. (well, after some saving at least.)

The difference really is that in the US the wealth is concentrated heavily on the rich part of the population which does its best to forget they have millions of poor people around the country. As a result US has high crime and fully populated criminal systems. A US catholic priest put it interestingly; in the US the criminal system plays the part of european welfare system. Only difference is that the US system of penalizing creates outcasts where the european system of welfare focuses on keeping people socially fit despite thier problems.

This produces safety because nobody is really forced to rob anyone for food or much anything else for that matter. Drug addicts are an exception naturally, but luckily in scandinavia even that problem isn't that apparent yet.

In US a succesful person can end up homeless if he gets sick and has to expend his medical insurance (or lack of one.) That is very unlinkely to happen in scandinavia. Healthcare is quite cheap and the system protects the workers from unlawful actions during sickness or similar phases of life.

The scandinavian system is far from perfect. But it is much safer for an individual in so many levels.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 05:22:46 AM »
nobody is really forced to rob anyone for food or much anything else for that matter.

Same here too.  Where is this place that forces people to steal?

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 05:28:55 AM »
Dunno.. I heard this place had over 12 million people living below poverty level and a bunch of homeless people to boot. Oh and the highest inmate levels per capita in any western country.

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 05:39:45 AM »
(The Scandinavian establishment) serves up a picture of the United States as a nation divided, inequitably, among robber barons and wage slaves, not to mention armies of the homeless and unemployed. It does this to keep people believing that their social welfare system, financed by lofty income taxes, provides far more in the way of economic protections and amenities than the American system.

Offline Momus--

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 05:42:55 AM »
Yes, how dare those stupid Norwegians measure quality of life in terms other than ostentatious consumerism and availability of cheap pizza?!? Burn them!

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member

Offline bunch

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://hitechcreations.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?&forumid=17
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 06:29:17 AM »
so it sounds like the plan is to go to scandanavia, open a restaurant & dont pay your taxes

Offline -spawn

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2005, 06:50:08 AM »
I heard this place had over 12 million people living below poverty level and a bunch of homeless people to boot. Oh and the highest inmate levels per capita in any western country.

Question:  What percentage of 300 million is 12 million?

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2005, 06:56:44 AM »
With a 4 percent poverty rate your country is on par with scandinavia.

My guess is however that due to bigger differences in income the poor in US have it way worse than the poor in scandinavia. Housing and food is the minimum. Reversely the rich in the US have it way better than rich in scandinavia.

Edit: I just learned I've been fluffied.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 07:03:13 AM by Siaf__csf »

Offline Momus--

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2005, 07:01:32 AM »
Life expectancy is higher in Norway too. So are literacy levels too. Burn them I say! Damn communists, how dare they not conform to the US model. :mad:

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2005, 07:22:42 AM »
Lol funked.. the price for a pizza is hardly relevant :D

A few years ago when the $ was worth more it cost maybe 10$, but its the low value of the dollar vs the NOK that make it seem expencive. We dont pay in $ when we buy our pizza.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2005, 07:32:46 AM »
According to that article a teacher makes $50k and a pizza costs $50. A teacher makes about the same here and a pizza costs <$10.

According to the pizza index we are doing 5x better than you lutefisk fiends.:)