Author Topic: Local USA fuel prices?  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Regular

• Nickel Member
Local USA fuel prices?
« on: September 11, 2001, 10:46:00 PM »
Heard prices for petro skyrocketing since the attack in NYC. Sister in Chicago said people where fistfighting over fuel at a gas station that ran dry.

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2001, 11:08:00 PM »
I live an hour west of Indy and prices are anywhere from 1.49 to 4.50 a gallon.  Lines were like 45 mins at one station. The local station in town is out of regular unleaded already.
I call it price gouging.  The gov. is supposed to look into it first thing in the morning.  

Rocket

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2001, 11:14:00 PM »
$5 per gallon......

Offline mietla

• Gold Member
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2001, 11:21:00 PM »
mrfish, you are in SF.

Just filled my tank at $1.79, but I've heard $5/gallon on the radio

Offline majic

• Silver Member
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2001, 11:36:00 PM »
Prices started today here at $1.50. Rumors had it going to 4.00 or more but in reality the only went up to around 2.00.  Still sick price gouging.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2001, 11:50:00 PM »
I filled up my near empty 30-gallon tank today (2pm) at about regular prices for OR ($1.69/gal).  Haven't checked since then.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2001, 12:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by mietla:
mrfish, you are in SF.

Just filled my tank at $1.79, but I've heard $5/gallon on the radio

yes, i should be clear, i think it is about $2.21 to 2.30 here. i meant in "places" but didnt specify.

i am hearing $5  from some of my relatives in oklahoma (midwest city/oklahoma city area). apparantly they had a local news story on it.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2001, 12:14:00 AM »
Panic price gouging will settle shortly. Just remember who jacked it up and vote with your wallet later. Another idea is to check with your local county district attorney's office and let them know the price situation. There are controls for gouging.

Mav
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2001, 05:11:00 AM »
Bastards.

Gas prices here in the DC area are $1.50 a gallon. To gouge prices is sickening and unpatriotic.
sand

Offline MarkVZ

• Copper Member
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2001, 05:28:00 AM »
I do not think it is gouging.  I heard that Tanker ports have shut down in the gulf, as well as other facilities related to making gasonline.  I had to wait a half an hour to get gas at $1.79/Gallon.  The gas station I went to said that the refinery would not release any more gas to them.  I don't think this is all the fault of "price gougers."

-MarkVZ-

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2001, 05:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Maverick:
Panic price gouging will settle shortly. Just remember who jacked it up and vote with your wallet later

We had similar things happen in the UK last year during the fuel shortage due to strikes.

Fully agree with Mav. A number of independant retailers found out what a long memory some of us have and has since been forced out of business. These people are no better than looters IMO.  :mad:

TTFN
snafu

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2001, 06:13:00 AM »
It's a shame we are so dependent on overseas oil :(  But, at least the carabo are free, couse you lack choise, but the carabo are safe and free :)  And we know who is more important, don't we?

Heard yesterday the price of oil was $36/barrel and climbing.  $5.00/gal gas may be cheap gas in the end so buy it now while you can!!

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2001, 07:39:00 AM »
Prices were 1:60 to 1:65$ yesterday morning. By 10 last night it was up to 1:99 and cars were lined up 4 to 12 deep to get in.

No excuse for that kind of gougeing IMO.

Offline Serapis

• Copper Member
      • http://www.keithreid.com
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2001, 08:09:00 AM »
As somebody who writes for the retail petroleum industry, price gouging is unacceptable but...

Those prices may be a reflection of what the retailer/marketer is paying on the spot market for his or her supply, given the shutdowns. The alternative, as has happened with some operations in Calif. during recent price inversion periods (where the general price on the street is lower than the retailer supply price) is to close the station until the market returns to normal.

These retailers tend to be small business people who typically have very low gasoline margins (under 10-cents per gallon, sometimes 2-5 cents at most) and are generally being driven out of business as operations like supermarkets start selling gasoline as a "loss-leader" product.

Anyway, this should only be a temporary adjustment. I likely expect OPEC (which includes Venezuala) to be fairly mild in their crude prices for some months after yesterday's tradgey.

Charon

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Local USA fuel prices?
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2001, 08:14:00 AM »
it's so amusing how instantly the gas prices go up, but when the price per barrel of oil comes down, it takes several days or weeks before it's seen at the consumer level.

as it is, I got my gas yesterday afternoon at 1.36/gal (we don't have as many local taxes here on gasoline as other places) and I didn't bother checking this morning.  Oh, I needed gas anyways, wasn't just topping off the tank.  hehe
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.