Author Topic: The CT and how people view it.....  (Read 4003 times)

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
The CT and how people view it.....
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2005, 04:05:05 PM »
Why I don't fly in the CT

(my views may be out of date; it's been a while since I tried).

1) (and most important) Dot chasing. With the funky dar settings that were in place last time I tried; I'd spend 5-20 minutes chasing down a dot to find it was friendly. Then; suddenly; a dot I thought was well out of range would turn red and shoot me.

2) Ganging. I can survive ( a bit) in an MA 10 versus 20; but I can't survive in a CT 5 versus 1.

3) History. I don't care where you come from; or what you belive; Germany DID NOT have CV's parked off Dover

4) History; I don't care where you come from; or what you belive; Spits WERE in EVERY theatre; it's not my fault YOUR fighter of choice sucks; mine doesn't.

5) Base grab. Pure MA gamishness; that has NO place in an air combat sim.

In short; the ratio of posturing to fighting is way out of whack; and what fighting there is is of low quality.

In summary; I never understood what the RR guys had against FR in AW; I mean; if you want to fantisize about being a fighter jock; let's make it real; huh?.

Then I started AH; and I understand only too well now what it was all about.

JG54 are (from what I see here; haven't knowingly flown against them) all I despise about AH; and are CONSPICOUSLY absent from events; where they could put money where their collective mouth is.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2005, 04:08:09 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
with apologies to Jeff Foxworthy...

blah blah blah and land only 1-2 kills a sortie... you might be a scorepotato.

Not necessarily you might just be a lucky VF-17 pilot like me.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2005, 04:11:35 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
most ppl are happy in MA, flying and dying. They need a reason/excuse to try CT out. Last thing they want is the nasty taste this board is putting in their mouth before they even try it out

There is wisdom in this observation.  Obviously most people are going to start out in either the Main Arena or the Training Arena.  We want to draw them into the CT, I would think, rather than persuade them that we're a nest of squealing chimpanzees flinging dung at each other.  Guppy very sensibly pointed out that one way to distinguish yourself, in a good way, is to offer a nicer establishment.

For those of you who promptly jumped down his throat, I'd like to point out that we have often discussed ways of bringing more people into the arena, and he was participating in that effort.  If my friends thought (think?) that I'm misbehaving, I'd like to have them tell me.  I note that Storch has not lashed out at anyone in this thread, which I think is a pretty strong sign of maturity (and he is a grandfather, after all).

Possibly we can actually get back to the original point of the thread, which I take to be:  Can we tone down the high school testosterone levels in the effort to make the CT a more grown-up place to play this game?

- oldman

Online Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2005, 04:21:14 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
I note that Storch has not lashed out at anyone in this thread, which I think is a pretty strong sign of maturity (and he is a grandfather, after all).

- oldman

give him time to finish his nap.  :D
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2005, 04:21:23 PM »
Originally posted by VWE
Nice to know your only on the CT bashing band wagon part time... makes me feel a whole lot better now! :aok

Well, I've been on the "CT bashing" band wagon since sometime in 2003. I just dont drive the wagon all that much since plenty of folks seem to want a turn. And while there are a number of good sticks who frequent the CT (on at least an occasional basis) overall its simply dropped down to double A ball at best. Now if you contrast that to 2002 the CT was a who's who of AH. Now you'll find more of those guys in the DA...just that simple.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2005, 04:27:45 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
exactly vwe

to many, it comes across just wrong and I believe hurts the CT

most ppl are happy in MA, flying and dying. They need a reason/excuse to try CT out. Last thing they want is the nasty taste this board is putting in their mouth before they even try it out

tk
it takes nothing to score in the top ten in CT, I am proof of that.

btw, you notice Eskimo's score? He is waiting his time to shoot into #1 b4 month's end and grab it for the tour.  :)

Eagler,

I dont think the BBS really effects things one way or an other....in fact "bad pub" is often better then no pub.

However, it seems that 90%+ of the "new blood" (rookie or not) simply runs into the "mini horde". Some take great pleasure in that type of challenge but most simply move on. Sadly the general consensus seems to be that the caliber of fights/pilots in the MA greatly exceeds the quality of pilot/fight in the CT.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2005, 04:30:09 PM »
As for score....well you'll do fine any place they let the f4 (109) in....BTW read a qoute from one of the top luftwabble aces that he felt the F4 was still the best 109 all the way up till the end of the war (fighter on fighter)...

Offline bcee

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2005, 04:42:35 PM »
well,I for one like the Ct,I like flying allied vs axis an versi visi....i`ve been attending off an on for the past year or so and still get a kick outa it even tho i`m a poor adversary..my acm suks, shooting skills suk, but have had a lot a fun flying my cartoon planes(as Storch puts it)(quote,quote) with everyone ...maybe its me but i`ve never had any probs with anyone thats ever flown in the ct ...I do know one thing tho that theres no set rules or regulations on whats going on in the ct unless its a squad or historical nite ...so ya just end up flying by the seat of your pants on other nites.....

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2005, 04:42:38 PM »
Originally posted by humble
As for score....well you'll do fine any place they let the f4 (109) in....BTW read a qoute from one of the top luftwabble aces that he felt the F4 was still the best 109 all the way up till the end of the war (fighter on fighter)...
Yes, that was mr. Rall who said that. I believe you can find that quote on 109F in the photo report "Günther Rall, Luftwaffe ace in Finland June 2003" on Virtualpilots.fi site, somewhere here.
And sorry for the hijack, please continue on the subject of this thread. ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2005, 04:48:30 PM by Panzzer »
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2005, 04:53:57 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
...a nest of squealing chimpanzees flinging dung at each other.
- oldman

:rofl
OM - that statement is priceless! Not only does it accurately reflect 2 out of the last 5 times I flew in the CT, it's also funny as hell. :aok

Thx for the laugh - I needed one today.

Cheers,
asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline plank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2005, 04:55:14 PM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
Yes, that was mr. Rall who said that. I believe you can find that quote on 109F in the photo report "Günther Rall, Luftwaffe ace in Finland June 2003" on Virtualpilots.fi site, somewhere here.
And sorry for the hijack, please continue on the subject of this thread. ;)

No worries panzzer, this thread was already hijacked :)

Offline Kanawa

• Copper Member
on being civil...
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2005, 05:03:50 PM »
I have to agree with you Guppy.
I happen to be a player in the free H2H for a some years now...I am not a sim expert, not a combat superhero or an historical maniac but i love to play that game. I've been hosting on a regular basis for a long time and my main goal has always been to put people before the tech or historical aspect of the game.
I mainly post into the Free H2H tread or in the tech one but I have been reading some other parts of the BB. On a more regular basis recently since I am planning on getting the paying membership at the end of this summer... and I have to agree the impression it gives is not pleasant...

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2005, 05:12:32 PM »
Originally posted by Reschke
Not necessarily you might just be a lucky VF-17 pilot like me.

I'll second that!  :)

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2005, 05:18:06 PM »
Originally posted by VWE
SA2, every time you get a couple of kills tonight I'll be there to take em away from you... just like any other night you venture into the CT. :D

And it'll be  just like any other night lol.  I've never had any complaint with you or your skills.  Yer just grouchy.  :)  So is storch.  Allmetal is only a tad touchy, but Truekill is downright bonkers if you set him off.  :)  I'm not calling you guys names or making statements about the way you play your game.  Most of you guys in JG54 are pretty good sticks.  But if you want to know why most people get a bad impression of the CT, just look at your first post in this thread to see part of the reason.  

Dont worry though VWE, I LOVE YOU MAN!

Can I have a beer now?  :)

VWE

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2005, 05:18:38 PM »
Please... lets say that the new Stars wars movies comes out and you really want to see it but you keep hearing people say it stinks. Do you ever listen to the lemmings or do you go and see it anyway and make up your own mind?

Same thing here... your going to go in and make up your own mind. So stop with this "I'm not coming in unless I feel welcome" boo hoo...