Author Topic: Beta testers coming forward at WWII Online!  (Read 4821 times)

Offline MrRiplEy

• Copper Member
      • http://altavista.net
Beta testers coming forward at WWII Online!
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2001, 03:17:00 PM »
Looks like the WW2OL website is down like usual. If the game reliability is of same level, good luck to all of you who purchased LOL.

Ripsnort: I said IMO, and I think I'm entitled to my opinnion despite of the likings of one Ripsnort.

This 109 outturning spit thingy came from an article with an interview of some german ace (whose name I don't recall right now.)

Seemed odd to me too I have to admit.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »
You'll be too busy with other "aspects" of the flying realm to notice the flight model.

(is that vauge enough?)

SeaWulfe

« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2001, 03:29:00 PM »
Ripley, the other thing that could be possible is, initial vs sustained turn rate.

At speeds, just about any, some planes will pull sharper into a turn (ie: initial) but will lose the velocity and energy required to keep themselves in this state. Thus a sharp initial turn (which is where the slats would help).. however in a sustained turn, the slats would prove to slow it down (more drag than a clean wing) and don't increase the wing area enough to make it turn inside of a Spit Mk1 or Mk2 in a sustained turn.
-SW

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2001, 03:41:00 PM »
Absolutely Jigster!

"Descent" did the same thing a few years ago  

-Westy

(j/k!  But I'll be quiet now out of respect for those whose efforts over two years are about to come to fruition)

Offline koala

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2001, 06:55:00 PM »
No open beta plus you have to shell out money just to get the game on your computer.  No way to personally tell if you're gonna like the game without giving them money or finding a buddy who's willing to give them money sight unseen.

At least with AH and WB I can download it and try it offline first.  Why are so many people desperate to shell out cash based on nothing but advertising and rumors?

Thanks, but I'll wait.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2001, 06:59:00 PM »
So, Koala, you download and try every game before you buy it?  Maybe hit the Warez sites, or such?

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2001, 07:04:00 PM »
You needn't run to underground FTP sights for playable demos.  Most games put them up front at the top of their home page, knowing that people will find it enjoyable enough to go out and purchase their product.

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2001, 07:35:00 PM »
Well, I'll let all you folks know tomorrow morning ASAP when my copy arrives.  It's been shipped next day air, only 150 miles away from my town. Hm..maybe it'll come tonight at 1:00 am...

I'm sure there will be a training aspect or something else that will let me fiddle with the planes and such, if not then all you "wait and see's" will have to..uhm..wait and see...

fscott

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2001, 08:07:00 PM »
You guys gotta admit the AH download try and if you like buy is great. Maybe there is a premium for $30 a month. But I'd prefer to shell out $30 on something I know I like.

I think over time more and more games will go like this. It gets over issues like unhappy customers, refunds, returns etc. And lets admit, even AH is not everyones cup of tea.

In the early WB/CK days net news advertising etc was not as prevelant. Now companies have matured it is a lot easier to push your product down the net without have a box. Look at the amount of demos you can download and later register to enable a full working version.

WWIIOLs decision to not go this way is interesting. Certainly helps the image having a boxed product. But if all does not go well it could be more of a hinderance than a help. But thats their business not mine.

Imagine if AH had been boxed in the late beta days, it would have caused a lot of logistical problems for HTC dealing with unhappy customers and product returns. In using net distribution HTC took a path which left a lot of space for 'issues' to get resolved easily, and also mean't if peoples expectations weren't met - disappointment levels were not high (or exxagerated by cash forked out). Same goes for Warbirds.

I think the next few months will be interesting times. At the end of the day I've come to appreciate HTCs way of doing business a lot more. I'd taken AH for granted in some aspects until recently.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2001, 09:53:00 PM »
It will all be clear tomorrow, and the following days.

The best way to approach it is with no expectations one way or another, and if so, you are bound to find it fun.

Then again thats good advice for anything, so I guess I'm being PC again.

Offline koala

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2001, 12:11:00 AM »
Gadfly,

I either download a demo, try a beta, or read the reviews of fellow gamers before I shell out money on a game.  Not sure why you bring up the warez thing unless that's a typical practice of yours.  Tsk tsk.

What I don't do is throw money at something based on nothing, and so far we have pretty much nothing regarding this game.  If not an open beta they could have at least let us download the software to try in offline mode.  They won't even do that.  Why would I just give them my money at this point?  Why would anybody?

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2001, 02:16:00 AM »
What do you think of this pic?

[This message has been edited by janneh (edited 06-06-2001).]

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2001, 05:19:00 AM »
I think that pic is gonna deliver 5-10fps when you get near combat, on a PIII-600, 256Mb PC133 SDRAM, and a Geforce 2MX, at 1024x768.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2001, 06:10:00 AM »
Here's my question.

Remember how WWIIOL was shown as a shinning beacon in the night, and so superior to AH, because it was MULTI-PLATFORM? Remember the bashing AH took from all the Mac guys?   And it was promised as a simultaneous release?

So when your in the store today buying your copy, just count how many box's of the Mac version you see   (I'll clue you...  NONE, Mac didn't make release yet)

Oh and for all you guys outside the US, your in the same boat. Strategy First, hasn't even made the distribution deals yet for outside the US/Canada.

*Proud Member of the "Damned 200", a big hint for you*  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2001, 06:56:00 AM »

Originally posted by Vulcan:
I think that pic is gonna deliver 5-10fps when you get near combat, on a PIII-600, 256Mb PC133 SDRAM, and a Geforce 2MX, at 1024x768.

I got a system almost identical to the one wich you describe. I got a K7 700mhz instead of the PIII 600. The rest is identical.

Offline I got 25-27fps with full detail (yes, you can set the detail level lower or higher), but antialiasing option turned off. That was in in a version already well old, wich means that (letting aside that CRS has been working on improving the FPS)  online the FPS wont fall under 10-15Fps. I repeat, CRS,AFAIK, has been improving Framerates lately.

I was flying AH for 8 months at 10-12FPS and I loved it   . So, I'm pretty ready to test it out with a Framerate of 10-15FPS.

Now I only have to wait for them to ship it to europe  

[This message has been edited by R4M (edited 06-06-2001).]