Author Topic: Beta testers coming forward at WWII Online!  (Read 4808 times)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Beta testers coming forward at WWII Online!
« on: June 04, 2001, 11:19:00 PM »
I hope your all ready!  Over at the WWII Online site several beta testers have come forward now and are letting everyone know about the secretive closed beta that's been going on.  In a word, AWESOME, and nothing like the bad rumours we've all been hearing from the nay-sayers.  Go check out the message board.  There is one very long thread where many of the testers have been giving some insight.  Here is just a snip from one tester about the sound effects...

"The sounds and sound engine are amazing... Doppler shifts, and speed of sound are all in there. You can shell a city, and the muffled explosions will reach you several seconds later. Very realistic. It's not rare to see the round that kills you fired long before you hear it.
                                             Planes zooming past, engine pitch rising and falling as they both approach and receed from you. Very impressive, and very immersive."

fscott

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2001, 12:35:00 AM »
That's great, I wish them much success.
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline janneh

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2001, 01:03:00 AM »
It's like all new games:
1. Hype
2. After released, WOW, incredible, I love this!!!
3. After 2 weeks, this sux,why can't we have.., this should be...,this is not accurate... etc etc
4. I'm leaving, GL

Anyway good luck to wwiiol.

It's interesting to read wwiiol forum during next month or so.

Offline MrBill

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2001, 01:35:00 AM »
Get your sheep in! dood is back

Ya prolly had to play brand W long time ago to get the joke.

------------------
OhNooo
Smile Awhile
We do not stop playing because we grow old
We grow old because we stop playing

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2001, 04:25:00 AM »
I'm waiting for the open beta test with paying customers to be completed before I look into it.

Also, I have *reliable* reports that the Fm as it stands "leaves something to be desired....simplistic in nature".

Might be fun for ground warfare though.

------------------
--
Baron StSanta Von GrossenArsch

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2001, 06:21:00 AM »

Originally posted by fscott:
You can shell a city, and the muffled explosions will reach you several seconds later. Very realistic. It's not rare to see the round that kills you fired long before you hear it.

sounds like lag to me  

I've heard the hardware requirements are way up there. To be expected as it is trying to be everything to everybody...

Eagler

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2001, 08:23:00 AM »
 CC.  I've seen many beta tester come out saying WW2O is awesome. I've still heard many testers say the flying part sux and so does the program in many, many ways./

So far the positive posts that I've read told of thier expereience of being a grunt or vehicle driver. No one but Vila or DocDoom has been enthusiastic about flying here. And that is where my interest lay.

Kind of funny though in that if someone who is in closed beta posts something negative they are branded a troll, a liar and should not be litened to. But if they post positively there they are heralded! scophants RULE!  

I wish them luck. As a FPS MMPOG it's a wrap. Not much can beat it, well unless the the graphics stay as they are.  A year ago I thought they would have had the entire online world by the balls. I'm not so naive any longer.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy MOL (edited 06-05-2001).]

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2001, 08:24:00 AM »
StSanta, there is no open beta.

fscott, where is this thread you speak of?  I am unable to find it.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2001, 08:28:00 AM »
There will be a free 30 day trial online for those who purchase the software.

SeaWulfe

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2001, 08:36:00 AM »
50$ is hardly free Rip. ;-)

I look at it this way: You can d/l and try out AH for 2 weeks, free 8 person H2H thereafter and all the time you want to fly offline... (it's actually kind of fun to tool around sometimes)

You MUST buy and try the software for WW2Ol for whatever the going rate is (I've heard as low as 35$ and as high as 50$), if it sucks you *MIGHT* be able to return it.. depending where you purchase it from.

So I don't really look at it as free at all, but that's just me.
:-)
-SW

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2001, 08:37:00 AM »
I think he meant a free open beta test where you could download the game without buying it first. Not gonna happen. Pay your $40, and if you down't like it take it back.

fscott

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2001, 08:40:00 AM »
"There will be a free 30 day trial online for those who purchase the software."

I think of it more like the first month is 40-50$(?) and then 10$ for any of the following.  
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »

Originally posted by fscott:
I think he meant a free open beta test where you could download the game without buying it first. Not gonna happen. Pay your $40, and if you down't like it take it back.

fscott

Thks Fscott, thats what I did mean.  

Online Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2001, 09:12:00 AM »
Well, one thing is certain.

In a short time you can find out for yourself.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2001, 09:14:00 AM »
My testing of the game will be free.  ok, not totally free.  It will cost me the gas money to travel about a mile to my friend's house who already reserved his copy!  He's having his wisdom teeth out today, actually he should be finished by now, so all I have to do is make him take his pain killer, and he'll be out like a light!  Free trial evening for me tomorrow!!  
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.