Author Topic: WW2 Online... preliminary report.  (Read 2928 times)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
WW2 Online... preliminary report.
« on: June 06, 2001, 11:29:00 AM »
Short & simple.

1) worth it? yes
2) realistic fm? hard to say
3) Good framerate? yes
4) fun offline? yes
5) fun online? dunno yet

Longer and more complex.

1) The fun factor is there, and I haven't even had anything to shoot at yet since I'm in offline mode only.  I've driven a tank, flew the planes, played as a soldier. Yes, its VERY well done.  Quality workmanship abounds.  True 3D environment. Did not see any clipping at all.

2) First let me say, taking off is kudos harder in WW2 than in WB or AH.  My gawd where do I begin. Everything is there as far as engine and prop control.  Tailwheel lock, fuel mix control, to name a few of the things that other sims don't have.  The SPit engine will kill on negative g's, really good feel and atmosphere. On takeoff the prop will cause you plane to yaw to the left or right depending on aircraft.  The effect and beleivablity is the best bar none. The BEST feel I have ever felt in a ww2 sim. I could go on, but the player load is EXTENSIVE.

- Flying.  The flight is VERY VERY smooth. There is no herky jerky feel to the flight model.  I would say that its feel is between WB and AH in smoothness, whereas WB feels overly bouncy and AH feels overly jerky.  The pilot's body moves fluidly as you pull g's.

- Flight modelling.  This is tuff because I haven't flown against anyone yet.  The SPit I feels very nice, yet it feels much EASIER than AH or even WB.  If you pull back on yer stick, one wing will drop and you will go into spin. The 109E feels mediocre in complexity.  I think it may turn too well, but we will see when I go 1 on 1.  

- Sounds. Outstanding. Almost too good. And this goes into the game itself.  Very ncie atmosphere with doppler shift and all.

3) Athlon 1.5gz (overlocked), 256 RAM, Geforce 2 GTS. I'm getting 85 fps hardly ever drops even when flying with high detail at 1024x768x16.  

4) Offline is fun even without targets.

5) Can't wait to start the online mode..

If you have any specific question feel free and I will try to answer, instead of trying to find your answer over at the hectic WW2 Online board.

fscott

[ 06-06-2001: Message edited by: fscott ]

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2001, 11:39:00 AM »
Well, it does seem very easy to fly the Stuka and the 109, but my main problem is that I can't figure out how to put my views on the hat or how to read the instruments.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2001, 11:46:00 AM »
Fscott - I have an unclocked 1.2 GHz Athlon, Prophet II Pro, 256 meg ram and I get 85 FPS at 1280x1024x32bit in AH. Most of the time. Online.

I'd be interested to see how much things change when the servers go up?  ;)
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »
Just a few more neat things I've discovered...

1) The canopy actually works! Ok it's just neat, but it does add to the realism.  Hit the O key and watch as your canopy either slides back or opens up like on the 109e, and then when your flying you will hear the wind. So cool...

2) RPM settings aren't as realistic as AH.  RPM settings are economy, continuous, and maximum RPM's.

3) Flight modelling.  I can pull the stickk all the way back and no spin on the 109E, but on teh SPit, it will start to go into spin.  Very strange.

4) There will be 60 MB patch right from the get go which is supposed to ADD many new things.  The patch will be available when the servers go up later today.  Perhaps that will address many issues and perhaps fix the 109E spin prob.

5) Here is the config file for flight. It shows you some of the controls:

adjust prop up = apostrophe;
adjust prop down = semi colon;
panel light = n,left shift;
ll switch = n, left control;
hatch control = h;
canopy control = o;
gear handle = g;
mixture off = m, left shift;
mixture lean = m, left control;
mixture rich = m, right control;
fuel cock next tank = u;
deploydivebrakes = s;
main trigger = joystick one button one;
main trigger = f;
second trigger = joystick one button two;
second trigger = b;
starter on = e;
toggle wep = f8;
toggle tail lock = slash;
toggle bomb bay door = d;
deploy weapon = d;
toggle tow bar = h;
shift down = left bracket;
shift up = right bracket;
reverse = r;
cycle ammo = backspace;
stukasiren = right shift;

fscott

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2001, 11:52:00 AM »
Dowding, my refresh rate is set at 85fps. If I disable vsync, my guess I'd be getting about 150 fps.

Online will make hardly a difference in fps. When you see "jerkiness" in online play, it is attributed to warping and lost packets rather than fps issues.  I have cable modem so I won't be any good to you 56k'ers.

fscott

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2001, 11:56:00 AM »
Online will make hardly a difference in fps.

Ignorance is bliss...problem is, reality is sometime this week when the server finally gets up.

Post your FPS then.

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2001, 11:57:00 AM »
accurate report in the FM dowding. I dont know the stuka, but the 109E I've tested feels very arcadish.

OF course, is a plane lighter than teh a6m5 in AH and with better powerloading. But I still think it turns too well.

BTW The slats are wonderful  :)

I've tried the Curtiss Hawk aswell. Feels way more like I would expect from a realistic FM.

Have you tried the AT guns? and the tanks?. I think I'll be a tanker too in WWIIOL  ;).

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2001, 12:05:00 PM »
The FM is very good EXCEPT for the fact that planes seam to keep E too good when Flat Turning. Other then that, the FM is NICE  :)

Tanks, AT guns, Infantary, what can I say, never felt anything so Realistic before, not as arcadish as AH ground war.

I have a 450Mhz P3 with 128Mb, that's just 50Mhz above the "required" system, and it doesn't work very well for me in FPS, and yet, although very low FPS for me, I have had the BEST online Dogfight ever, and I'll never forget the feel of realism during that Dogfight!

Everybody who say "you'll be disapointed" are wrong.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wilbus:
The FM is very good EXCEPT for the fact that planes seam to keep E too good when Flat Turning. Other then that, the FM is NICE   :).

Have to say, I agree. The vertical moves feel simply right. For instance the hammerhead is not the long-painfully slow move I'm used to, here the nose of the plane flips upside down really fast in the hammerheads.  :)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2001, 12:09:00 PM »
Oh so some of you folks DID buy WW2 Online... heh. From reading this board I thought I would be the only one to "gamble".

Well, from the sounds of it, some are pleasntly surprised.  I guess I'm not needed since many of you have it already. Yes Wilbus, the feel is AMAZING...

I just feel really bad for the "wait and see" people who jump at any chance to ditch the game.  They gonna have to wait another week so the retailers can be restocked...

fscott

Offline R4M

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2001, 12:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by fscott:
Oh so some of you folks DID buy WW2 Online... heh. From reading this board I thought I would be the only one to "gamble".

in fact,no Fscott. I have ordered mine, but since one week or so I have a beta version of WWIIOL dted the 15 of may in my HD  ;)

I cant say how did I get it, sorry  ;)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2001, 12:32:00 PM »
Well heres alittle input from a beta tester:

The folks posting in this thread left AH for one reason or another, usually something they didn't like...and they praise WW2 Online.  

Then there are folks like me, who've  played both, but likes each sim for its particular pluses.

That's all I have to say!  :)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2001, 12:38:00 PM »
Ripsnort, I played AH for 6 months straight non-stop. I love AH. But I got burnt out and it didn't change all that much so I got tired.  There's nothing to really complain about in AH.

WW2 Online is jut very different, yet IMO it feels more realistic. Is the fm better? Dunno, all I'm is that it feels so much smoother and flying it feels great.

You guys that have WW2.  Hit outside view, V, and then hit F7 flyby mode. Listen to that awesome doppler effect! The clouds are very similar to WB effects. OMG I lvoe it already. Sorry for the cheerleading..it's more than I expected.

fscott

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2001, 12:42:00 PM »
Cheerleading is allowed in the Officers club on THIS BBS. :)

Each have their pluses and minuses, I personally could not see myself dropping one for the other, but would find a way to make room for both.  Unfortunately, due to real life, I have to make a choice.  We'll see on WW2 Online developes.  AH has come along way in 1.5 years, I can only hope the Rats bring their sim that far, that fast, that soon.

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
60mb patch?

Well, this tilts me more heavily towards not buying this game.

Massive downloads for every patch...which I was worried about before the 60 meg download was announced.

There is NO DSL, ISDN OR Cable avaliable where I live. In fact, I've never gotten a connect above 26.4, ever...I do have a 56k modem...i's phone line limited.  And I have a choice of a grand total of two ISPs for local calls.

I doubt this 60 meg download is the last enormous download.