Author Topic: Will Fighter Town Finally Kill CT?  (Read 870 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Will Fighter Town Finally Kill CT?
« on: May 09, 2005, 07:01:54 PM »
I'm not posting this to urinate on anyones parade. Since I've returned to AH , the CT has been as dead as I can ever remember. I understand why some think trying the Fighter Town ( FT)idea would be a good one. Eagler, Eskimo , and The BK's are right about one thing." Nobody's flying in here anyway, so why not?"

The CT has been the only place in AH where any night of the week you could fly in an arena which at least attempted to to recreate some of the historical aircraft matchups from WWII. FT may well take off and be the answer to fill the arena. But it will kill the original idea of the CT if it does. If that happens,,,, well thats the market place and I'll just have to live with it.

A lot has been said lately about what to do with declining CT attandance. People blame certain squads , certain setups, icon ranges , you name it . You can't just blame a squad , or squads. In CT's heyday there were many squads operating in CT. JG-3, 880FAA, VF-27, the 325th FG , just to name a few.  So don't
blame it on squads. Setups?? A setup last a week, how can that kill an arena? Settings, ie- icons, damage, lethality, and that are adjustable and you would think we could find a place that everybody could agree.

Attitudes are what has killed the CT in my humble opinon. CT'rs are their own worse enemy. Too many of us find every possible thing to complain about. We bash each other, the setups, the CT staff , there are people who actually seem unable to post or reply to anything on this BBS in a positive manner.  You can debate without throwing temper tanturms , name calling, and insults.

The Airwar during WWII was never fair. At one time or another each side held a numerical superiority , or a technical superiority. To me thats always been the attraction of the CT. To get just a little taste of what fighting the WWII airwar was like. Even if it's just a simulated taste.

Yeah I know the matchups are never as historical as they should have been been .  However the CT staff has a limited ammount of tools available to them. Boycotting the CT because there is something you don't like for a week doesnt help. It all evens out. One weeks setup may very well be an Allied advantage, fight through it . A setup with an Axis advantage is right around the corner.

While I don't want to see FT fail , I sure as hell don't want it to kill the CT as a historical setup arena. I started on-line sims in 1991 flying Red Baron on the Sierra network , went from there to Air Warrior DOS, then Warbirds, and finally AH back in 2001. The most fun I've had during all that time has been the AH CT hands down. I sure hate to see it die.

If FT kills CT , the CT'rs can look into the mirror for whom to blame. It's not the so called lemmings in the MA refusing to fly here that have killed CT. It's all of us , the ones who have made flying in the CT a pain in the A** for each other and anybody else who shows up that are to blame. In my opinon the CT is on the ropes gentlemen. If we get a chance to salvage it we damn well better do it. It's time quit throwing fits , and grow up.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline plank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2005, 07:11:45 PM »
Well said, very well said. I've never had fun in any arena except the CT. I was ready to not sign up when my free two weeks was approaching an end. Lucky for me, the MA went down and I decided to see what this CT thing was all about and never looked back.

Anything I can do to help, I'm here and willing.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2005, 07:12:49 PM »
huh?

talk about the dramatic .. LOL

how about fighter town is just another scenerio played in CT, maybe one of the better ones - you know, one that draws more than 6 ppl before 2300 EST

put it in the rotation

give it a try, if not we'll never know

need CM input on this idea as they are the key holders to the setups in CT
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2005, 07:22:49 PM »
Im not opposed to using the CT as a test bed for it. I wouldnt want to replace the CT though. ToD will do that.

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 07:29:29 PM »
I'm for any new map that promotes better game play whether the map is historically accurate or not.  Since AH2 the CT maps have been lacking.  But if it's going to get play time in the CT I would hope that the plane sets are historically matched up and not some 109 v 109 situation.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 07:32:55 PM by soda72 »

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2005, 07:41:55 PM »
The Furball Arena will draw 97% of its players from the MA; I don’t think it will compete much with the CT.

It could even help the CT:
I bet that 90% of the MA players have never spent any real time outside of the MA, yet many verbalize that they want something different.  If the Furball Arena becomes even a modest hit, many might realize that there is great fun outside of the MA; some might even realize that you don’t need hundreds of players to have fun.  After going back and forth between the MA and FA, some might actually look at the numbers overall and notice the CT.  I think that most players enter the MA instantly without looking elsewhere; it’s become a habit.

eskimo

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2005, 07:44:21 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler

give it a try, if not we'll never know

I agree with you Eagler. Give it a try. I'm not knocking the idea at all. If it draws big numbers, which it very well may do... Great idea!

If nobody flies any of the other setups ,,,, FT may be the wave drowns out the CT. Unless the guys that do like the historical matchups can find a way to start getting some numbers in here again.

Eskimo what you said about players finding something to enjoy besides MA is a good point I didnt consider. Thanks.:)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 07:47:48 PM by Shifty »

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2005, 07:45:19 PM »
the use of the CT would be a TEST

if that popu;ar HT would probably dedicate reources to the idea

plank
one advan like planesets would be is that one side would not whine about the others planes )
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2005, 08:14:55 PM »
I am not opposed to testing out FT in the CT, I too have very much the same opinion as Shifty and would much rather see the CT stay the way that it is, setup-wise.  But I understand that the numbers have dropped to levels that require some type of change because continuing along the same path seems almost pointless.

But I do hope the staffers and people advocating FT understand that there were at least two other tests that have been brought up well before FT and would hope they would get their chance and in order.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline plank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2005, 08:27:19 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
the use of the CT would be a TEST

if that popu;ar HT would probably dedicate reources to the idea

plank
one advan like planesets would be is that one side would not whine about the others planes )

People will still whine about planes no matter what. I just wouldn't fly that arena no matter what. It's THE reason I don't fly the MA, I like the universe we live in, not bizzaro world :)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2005, 11:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by TheBug
But I do hope the staffers and people advocating FT understand that there were at least two other tests that have been brought up well before FT and would hope they would get their chance and in order.

I am hoping that is what happens in this case Bug. I hope that some of the things I am looking at for the long term will have a place to happen instead of a fighter arena with nothing else to do but fly under 8k and hope you get more than one burst off before getting vulched. Just my thoughts on the matter of a FT setup.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2005, 06:50:50 AM »
Originally posted by TheBug

Yeah I'd like to see the Rolling Plane Set get a chance too.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2005, 08:31:43 AM »
Id much rather see a Axis vs Allies CT with a rolling planeset and a MA then a MA, FT and CT.

Tex

Offline plank

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2005, 09:37:21 AM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy
Id much rather see a Axis vs Allies CT with a rolling planeset and a MA then a MA, FT and CT.

Tex

I wouldn't mind a rolling planeset so long as the map changed and the older aircraft were disabled as time went on since they become pretty much useless. Although I still prefer a semi-historic matchup to any of that.

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2005, 02:49:07 PM »
I also would like to see this tested. I'm not sure a agree 100% with all of DipSticks Specs (in another thread) but a place to just go and fight when you want to would be nice.

On the CT I can tell you from my own point of view it's just numbers. An arena that has 10 people in it during prime time EST is just not going to attract a lot of attention. Maybe the CT should do aomethings along the lines of the SEA. Announce the map and plane sets. Try to get some squads to participate in certain time zones.

I was very interested int he CT when I started AH but it was a disappointment. If I want to fly with/against 10 people I will go to the DA.

I'd love to fly early war matchups. I also know that a lot of MA player will not. They just feel they are at a distinct disadvantage in those planes.