Author Topic: KOTH altitude enforcment  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
KOTH altitude enforcment
« on: May 16, 2005, 11:46:59 AM »
It's been a while since I flew in KOTH, but I have seen some complaints about altitude limit violations. I have a suggestion that maybe could help clarify who is violating and also deter the violators from continuing the practice.

Edit the terrain used to incorporate several dozen 88mm guns placed all around the bottom of the bowl. Set the low limit firing altitude of the guns to 12K (or whatever the KOTH limit is).

That way, anyone going above the ceiling altitude will be instantly fired upon by MANY 88mm puffy ack which will 1. let everyone know that the player violated the altitude limit and may inflict serious damage to that player's aircraft (as we all know how 88mm tends to be so nasty in AH)

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 08:15:24 PM »
I like it!:aok

I wonder if the terrain team can support it...   I don't think it's settable by a hosting CM...

I'll have to read the CM Setup guide and play with a few settings to see...

Offline Valkyrie

• Copper Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »
Change the altititude back to 8k or maybe no alt cap once engaged. BigMax said he wanted to not restrict the type of fight we could fight. This is suppose to be about fighting, and I think that no alt cap though it would allow for running would make it more interesting. Like you said this is a vast furball and we do need more options in alt.

vlkyrie1

Offline Jish102

• Copper Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 02:12:48 PM »
In my opinion 6k is the perfect alt for KoTH

And still with the alt cap at 6k there were still many cherry pickers, but deffinatly not as bad as the 8k alt cap was

There were way too many complaints about cherry pickers with the alt cap at 8k, let alone what it would be like with no alt cap, so I say leave it at 6k from now on
MA: Irish
71 Sqn

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 05:50:02 PM »
Originally posted by Jish102
In my opinion 6k is the perfect alt for KoTH

And still with the alt cap at 6k there were still many cherry pickers, but deffinatly not as bad as the 8k alt cap was

There were way too many complaints about cherry pickers with the alt cap at 8k, let alone what it would be like with no alt cap, so I say leave it at 6k from now on

I second thy motion, and btw who won last night? I woke up at midnight, from having to work all day long.  hate I missed it!

6K alt is most excellent choice!!!!
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Wind

• Zinc Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 05:57:35 PM »
If the CMs put in a 200mph wind shear at 6,001 feet and up, I figure we'd know pretty quick who violated the ceiling.   :rolleyes: :lol

W~
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 06:00:01 PM by Wind »

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 09:09:15 PM »
Wind shear doesn't work.  I accidently went to 7k when we were still seperating before fight was called on.  I immediatly dropped to 5.5k before fight was on.  So what I am saying is the wind doesn't work.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 09:19:24 PM »
Originally posted by MwDogg
Wind shear doesn't work.  I accidently went to 7k when we were still seperating before fight was called on.  I immediatly dropped to 5.5k before fight was on.  So what I am saying is the wind doesn't work.

not trying to pick on you Dogg, but if you went above the alt cap ( if it was 6k ) you should have bailed regardless if FIGHT ON was called or not,

as for Wind Shear or Wind Speed, everytime I have encountered it, it will take you up and in a hurry at that. maybe the Wind shear level was still at 8k and not whatever alt you guys was calling the alt cap.

if you break the alt cap barrier and are able to get your nose down instantly then you have a good chance of not being sucked to the stratosphere, but if you do not get your nose pointed below the horizon you can be assured you are going for a ride straight up!
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Jish102

• Copper Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 09:57:21 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
and btw who won last night?

ManeTMP won it last night, well fought victory
MA: Irish
71 Sqn

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 10:47:47 PM »
A casual two cents on the topic.
You always have to think about the boundry we set and how it limits your available maneuvers.
You don't fly around at 10 feet altitude and expect to have the full range of maneuvers at hand. You limit your maneuvers yourself by flying that low.
Similar to the radar circle. You can't fly at the edge of it and have every maneuver at hand. You limit your turns to one direction only, toward the center of the circle, by flying at the edge.
Same thing applies to the altitude cap. You fly at 5,999' with a 6,000 cap you limit your own maneuvering by deceiding to fly that close to the cap.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 01:52:32 AM »
Originally posted by Jish102
ManeTMP won it last night, well fought victory

Awesome, congrats Mr. ManeTMP

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 06:35:57 AM »
Unfort. at this time, the CM's are not able to adjust what alt the 88's can start firing.  I have emailed Skuzzy about it, and am waiting his response.

One thing I'll go post in the CM Terrain forum is if we can make a KOTH terrain that is 3k under sea lvl.  My logic is that 88's shoot from 3k up, if we start at 3k under, that would be 6k alt, the alt cap for KOTH.

Having watched almost every round of this past KOTH in CMI mode, I have to say there WAS alot less b/z than in the usual KOTH.  I liked the 6k cap, and feel it needs to stay 6k.

Post your opinions yes or no on 6k, so fuzeman and I can make a decision on it.  But it SEEMS like the 6k is going to stay, but it's open to debate.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Valkyrie

• Copper Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 04:41:53 PM »
You all say you like every kind of fight but you take away the bnz. BNZ cant happen with this 6k top alt cap and a 5k cruise cap. If you want that 6k cap your either unskillful in the bnz or a dweeb who wants to do nothing except turn fight. To lower the cap would be an injustice of grave propotion to those of us who fly exclusively in the bnz. If you cant handel a Bnz fight dont come to koth. Either the cruise alt limit comes down 3k and the 6k remains or the 5k cruise remains and we go back to the old 8k cap. Fights in the vertical were a lot better with the 8k zoom cap. I respected the alt cap this month I seriously doubt I will do so again next month if i do show up. And if I do someone will have to watch and possibly eject me because I have zero respect for it. Its and idiotic rule that must be changed for any decent fight to remain above the "Arcade Level". Either you like ACM at its finest or you don't. And if Fuzeman and Wmlute have thier way you wont have any real ACM as it will all be Arcade play. Get out your quarters.

My 25 cents for those who won't like it

Vlkyrie1

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 05:05:35 PM »
well there is one opinion,

I done said I prefer the 6k alt cap,  and I do not see where one would not be able to use the bnZ tactic if one had to fly with 6k alt cap.  Unless he needs a 3k  leeway to extend in the vertical ever time he pounced on 2 or 3 guys mixing it up.......if you can't  fly BnZ style with a limited alt cap, then you might want to brush up on your BnZ technique a bit more...........

TC
The Damned

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
KOTH altitude enforcment
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 05:07:59 PM »
further more, if you want to come into this forum for KOTH and blantantly say you will break the rules if they are set against your wishes, be best if you did not show up at all.......we do not want that type of player in KOTH.....to much of a childish whine......want some cheese?

TC
The Damned