Author Topic: Gun convergence - gravity  (Read 753 times)

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
Gun convergence - gravity
« on: May 22, 2005, 11:46:00 AM »
I read a post here that states gun convergence works up down also as well as in the horizontal plane, i.e., if your target is closer than the convergence distance, you should aim a little below the target.

I have been unable to prove this offline using the target. I set the convergence distance to 600 yards and fired at the target set at .target 200

While the guns did not converge in the horizontal plane, they were at the exact level as the piper.

This was in the spit 9. It may be different on other planes as I haven't checked those

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 11:50:02 AM »
I have never seen any proof of vertical convergence claims.  Assume that your guns are firing straight out.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2005, 01:36:27 PM »
"Gunsight convergence has been changed so that your bullets will strike high when the range is less than the convergence setting."
That is from the 2.01 ReadMe file. I'll let you deceide.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2005, 01:55:08 PM »
It has to a misprint as the opposite can be proven offline.

I set the convergence in a spit9  at 650 yards for both the 20mm cannons and the 50 cal.

I took the spit to 5 k headed directly north and put it on auto pilot and wep. I waited for the plane to get completely level and set .target 100. I shot cannons. There were two distinct impact points both level with the piper. I shot the 50 cals. Again, two distinct impact points, both level with piper. I set .target 0 (to clear off the holes), then .target 200. Again, cannons and 50 cal gave two distinct points, both level with the piper.

At target 300, there was one oblong area of impact, level with the piper. At distances 400, 500, and 600, the pattern became tighter but the level remained constant with the piper.

I don't know what the notes say, but this test can be easily reproduced offline and, IMO, indicates there is no vertical convergence.

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2005, 02:05:23 PM »
BTW, then that should be posted at the bug forum.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2005, 04:15:40 PM »
There never was verticle convergence. Just some bullet drop from the heavier slower moving rounds. The .50's for instance can go out a few miles because they have a flat trajectory.

I'd suppose IF (using a pony as an example) you wanted all the bullets to end up at the same point in space, with regard to bullet drop, you might want to aim the '50's at 300 or so and the '20's to maybe 400. But you give up a little horizontal convergence in the process. By the same token a lil spread aint such a bad thing either. :)

Somehow I get the feeling you're expeccting to get a snipers accuracy using a grenade. If you look again at the target, and just like the old M-60 machine guns from the war, you will see a pattern emerge that covers a large area.

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2005, 04:49:01 PM »
For some extrange reason search engine is not working for me, in any case, try searching about gun harmonization in the aircraft and vehicles forum (any date), it has been discused there a lot in the past.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 06:33:17 PM »
I beleive the read me file is true.

When I'm firing at a con from dead 6, and am under the distance at which my convergence is set at, if I dont aim lower I will miss with most or all of my rounds that are fired.

I dont think this makes a whole lot of difference until you come well inside the distance at which you have your convergence set at.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 06:43:16 PM »
1st, instead of using auto pilot, try using SHIFT X ( auto angle )

as fuzeman noted, there were some changes in 2.01 readme file

only differences I ever noted ( pre 2.01 release ) was cannon rounds had a slight drop over machine gun rounds. the 30 mm Cannon had an even bigger drop. for the most part cannon rds ( 20 mm ) dropped slightly if all cannon guns and machine guns was converged at same distance, so if you set the 50's 303's etc at say 350, you would want to set the cannons at 400 to make all hit/converge at the same distance. If all were set to same convergence the 20mm usually would fall a ring to  a ring and 1/2 lower than the machine guns. Again, this was all tested before the 2.01 release and and was tested using Auto Angle ( SHIFT X ) verses using Auto pilot/flight
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 06:46:20 PM »
using autopilot you are flying with a slight nose-up atitude verses flying with Auto Angle where you have the piper set dead on the target!
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2005, 08:19:26 PM »
Well, one would expect if convergence is set at 650 yards for 20 mm cannons, they should hit above the piper (especially if the plane is pointed slightly up whille on auto pilot) when fired at 100 and 200 yards. That doesn't happen. The hits land level with the piper. Try it offline in a spit9 - its what happens.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2005, 08:56:09 PM »
Originally posted by MANDO
BTW, then that should be posted in the bug forum.

GOOD POINT  MANDO!!!!  if infact this is a bug,  maybe Skuzzy/Pyro or Hitech will drop us a bone ( the answer )

BTW< what is your callsign/gameid  in-game? I like to know who I am talking with :)

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2005, 09:18:01 PM »
BirdTW

And not to be all secret agent - its Etch. I'm just back to play the game and furball till i die - i.e., blow off steam and make stuff explode in an acceptable manner :D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2005, 09:29:34 PM by BTW »

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2005, 10:00:41 PM »
Originally posted by BTW
BirdTW

And not to be all secret agent - its Etch.  

good to see you back you ole warthog :D

will look for ya up in the arenas Bro  ~S~

Offline CPorky

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 05:23:20 AM »
This is an interesting thread, as far as I knew the gravity drop wasn't modeled or wasn't modeled properly.

If it is modeled, I'll likely place my convergence back at 650 for my P38 to allow me to pull less G on a wildly manuvering target that is beneath my nose.

That makes sense, right?