Author Topic: Gunnery and resolution  (Read 621 times)

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
Gunnery and resolution
« on: May 22, 2005, 02:08:06 PM »
Has anyone who is really good at gunnery (like in the 20% hits on mostly fighters), ever experiment to see if video resolution affects hit percentage?

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
Gunnery and resolution
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 02:25:37 PM »
What really really affects hit% is FR and cnx quality.

Offline Colt44

• Silver Member
FR affects hits?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2005, 06:27:30 PM »
I have a Monitor that only allows a refresh rate of about 65 Hertz...would that affect my hit %?

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
Suggestion
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 02:56:54 AM »
Try this for yourself.  Go to an arena like the DA or H2H.   Adjust your  Video details sliders left and right and test on separate sorties.  If you see a difference in the number of kills or amount of damage inflicted, then I congratulate  you:aok.  Hit% doesn't concern me as much as the amount of damage.

Although, this may vary from machine or connection, my FPS dump the further to the left I place my sliders, and my ability to inflict damage does also.  

Now, from a programming standpoint, there maybe no such thing as rubber bullets.   However, if your machine setup is like mine, the eye candy lever seems to provide targets with shields:cool:
(This is bad unless you are a jedi and use the force):D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Gunnery and resolution
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 06:16:52 AM »
BTW

I was lucky enough to be standing behind Drex as he prepared to fly in the 2 vs 2 competition at the 2002 AH con. (which he won btw)

First thing he did was switch his resolution down from 1224 to 800x600.

Granted it wasn't as pretty, but the planes were larger, easier to see, easier to hit.

But don't take my word for it, try it yourself.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Gunnery and resolution
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 09:42:17 AM »
haha Drex = gamer!

I bet he used to turn up his gamma at night too.  phhhbbbbt

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
Gunnery and resolution
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 09:47:22 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
haha Drex = gamer!

I bet he used to turn up his gamma at night too.  phhhbbbbt

-- Todd/Leviathn

and you didnt ?...  whistles quietly :D
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Gunnery and resolution
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2005, 09:52:49 AM »
Nah, I was a squinter.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
Gunnery and resolution
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2005, 12:36:17 PM »
I play in 800x600, thats why I was asking. Even with my reading glasses, it hard for me to read the font in the higher resolutions.

What I was worried about, is whether the program used a different manner to detect the hit when the program was played in lower resolutions. It would be involved to explain why I think resolution could affect how the program calculates a hit. It would be a lot simpler if HTC said whether resolution affects hits or not.

Also mip mapping, transitions etc.

None of this really matters if one just plays it as a shoot em up arcade game. If fact, I'm starting to think thats the funest way to play:eek:  But if one starts trying to move from spray and pray to shooting accurately, it would be helpful to know the things that affect hits other than aim. I am confident there are other things at play.