Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
BSE
« on: November 27, 2000, 10:43:00 AM »
160 cows on a farm in Northern Germany where mad cow disease was
found in one animal last week are to be slaughtered. That is the
entire stock of farmer Peter Lorenzen.  
The government has also declared that all feed containing ground
up animals will be banned from Wednesday.  
A second test on the dead cow confirmed the disease yesterday
although the farmer has no idea how it became infected, but it's
discovery has caused shock in the nation that thought it was BSE
free.

I'm shocked  
to eat, or not to eat again steaks & Burgers ??? what do you US Citizien think
about, when reading such horror news ?

Gh0stFT
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
BSE
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2000, 10:52:00 AM »
I think it affects consumers will to purchase beef in general.  I've curbed my diet to more  turkey and chicken.

Hey, they can  take all that beef, churn it into a McDonalds hamburger, and sell it to the Americans!

FYI: Try this is you excercise.

Go without Junk Food for 30 days (i.e. no Fast food,like McDonalds)...then, about 2 hours before your excercise routine, eat at McDonalds.  Then work out.  You'll understand why I only eat fast food when absolutely necessary.  

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
BSE
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2000, 11:54:00 AM »
My uncle had a neighbor that died from eating mad-cow tainted beef when in Holland.

After hearing the story if it effects... I'm glad my wife has had me on a poultry and fish diet since early last year.  I think I'd risk saminila over mad-cow anytime.

AKDejaVu

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
BSE
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2000, 01:05:00 PM »

Originally posted by AKDejaVu:
My uncle had a neighbor that died from eating mad-cow tainted beef when in Holland.

oh my god  

i'm done with meat ! enough, back to veggie.
From 94 to 98 i was a veggie, no meat, only fish. Then started again with meat.
Dejavu tried to translate "poultry", but still
have no idea what it is ?
What with Chicken, still eating ?

greets
veggieboy Gh0stFT  

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
BSE
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2000, 01:22:00 PM »
Hiya Ghost...

Poultry = chicken, turky... big birds basically.

AKDejaVu

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
BSE
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2000, 01:38:00 PM »
Looking forward to cheaper steak prices amid the hysteria.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
BSE
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2000, 01:49:00 PM »

Originally posted by Fatty:
Looking forward to cheaper steak prices amid the hysteria.

As St.Satan would say.."You opportunistic Capilist PIG!"

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
BSE
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2000, 03:27:00 PM »
Unfortunately those that are dying from CJD (Mad cow disease) have had it in their system for over ten years... so if you've eaten beef in the past then there is always a minute chance of you having it.  The saddest case I heard was when a 20 something girl died of it in England.  She had been a veggie for about 12 years or so and must have contracted it before she'd turned veggie    

What has surprised me is that the EU have only just ruled that animal feed containing meat should be banned in Europe.  Why didn't they impose this before when it was discovered in Britain years ago?  And why didn't they test all the countries before at the same time as Britain?  Surely this would have helped reduce the problem in all parts of Europe.  

Nexx

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 11-27-2000).]
NEXX

LJK Raubvogel

BSE
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2000, 04:28:00 PM »
What does Europe do differently that allows this disease to spread? I've never heard of any cases in the US. Are there different feeding standards or something?

------------------
LJK_Raubvogel
LuftJägerKorps

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
BSE
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2000, 04:30:00 PM »
Hmmmm... Not this crap again.

A couple of years ago this stuff all but destroyed British beef industry. The whole thing was based on never actually proved link between BSE and CJD.

The "epidemic" all newspapers and TV stations were on about was 20odd (however tragic) cases out of 60 million population. You are likelier to get killed by a meteorite than die of CJD etc...

Looks like now Germany is the next target for mass consumer panic and shedload of "scientists" who can't get noticed by any other means coming out of the woodwork with "I'd told you so..." stuff . Sad.

------------------
lynx
13 Sqn RAF

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
BSE
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2000, 06:00:00 PM »
I'm a Europhile, but the double standards enforced within the EU disgust me. No wonder so many people distrust Europe.

In France, BSE is called JCB, because that's what they used to hide the evidence. And that's not a joke...

I have friends who are sons and daughters of farmers (and ex-farmers).

Lynx - to blame the scientists for the BSE problem (at least in terms of the hysteria created) is to miss the point entirely. The problem is that the majority of the public haven't a clue how science works, that it isn't an absolute and that the best you can ever get is a comunity consensus on an issue. Nothing is set in stone.

If you are going to blame anyone, blame the goverment and the rest of the official apparatus that hid the truth for political (which stemmed from economic) reasons.

Ghosth - perhaps now your country might actually come to realise what happened to the beef industry in this country when exports were banned. Healthy herds destroyed, livelihoods lost, farms bankrupted and alot of unemployment. I wouldn't wish it on any country - but I bet there's a lot more whining about from the French and German producers (which will probably be taken heed of by their respective governments).

And meanwhile the British government abides by rules that make it illegal to place a ban on German and French beef imports, due to lack of evidence. Yet 5 years ago, that's exactly what France and Germany did.

War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
BSE
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2000, 06:44:00 AM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
I think it affects consumers will to purchase beef in general.  I've curbed my diet to more  turkey and chicken.

Hum... the only trouble is the incubation time of the ESB (Yes in french we reverse order  ) is greater than the whole life of a Chicken/Turkey ...

The fact that they don't get sick doesn't mean they are free of ESB ... but more that we eat them before they can be ill !

Actually the only "safe" "meat" is fish ...

What does Europe do differently that allows this disease to spread? I've never heard of any cases in the US. Are there different feeding standards or something?
Yes in Europe with didn't have as many room as in USA (just compare the surface of Texas to the surface of France  ) so to produce as many meat as USA we use an more "intensive" technique where you can use "extensive" method (I dont know how translating this terms in English)

In France, BSE is called JCB,
Never heard of JCB   but ESB Encephalite Spongiforme Bovine or (for human) Maladie de Creutzfeldt-Jacob

Offline Gh0stFT

• Silver Member
BSE
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2000, 07:23:00 AM »

Originally posted by straffo:
so to produce as many meat as USA we use an more
"intensive" technique where you can use "extensive" method

A cow is a natural vegetarian. But we give them
feed containing ground up animals, letting them eat there own race.
(animal waste) How to call this "canibalism" ?  

So far i know, Chickens ar no mammals their DNA is different,
and can't be infected with the BSE.

And Dowding, im Gh0stFT not Ghosth  

greets
Gh0stFT

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
BSE
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2000, 08:43:00 AM »

Originally posted by Gh0stFT:
A cow is a natural vegetarian. But we give them feed containing ground up animals, letting them eat there own race.
(animal waste) How to call this "canibalism" ?   (Image removed from quote.)
[/B]
Stupidity?

So far i know, Chickens ar no mammals their DNA is different,and can't be infected with the BSE.

Perhaps but as far as I know we ignore if the chicken can be a vector or not of the BSE...

If we do a parallel with the AIDS at first it was stated it was an homosexual only disease but we all know now that's not this simple ...

TheWobble

BSE
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2000, 08:48:00 AM »
they also feed the cows chicken toejam from the chicken farms...my god thats gross.  How are you gonna make good food from chincken toejam?! ITS toejam!!  I think im gonna go fishing.