Author Topic: WBIII Beta is out!  (Read 5251 times)

Offline joness

• Zinc Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« on: March 14, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »
ftp://lists.ient.com/pub/WarBirds/WBIII

Enjoy  

joness

Nath-BDP

WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2001, 05:22:00 PM »
nvmind

[This message has been edited by Nath-BDP (edited 03-14-2001).]

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2001, 05:23:00 PM »
 Good boy Joness. Now run off to master "MG" for the biscuit reward for a job well done.

-Westy

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2001, 05:46:00 PM »
Aside from him not posting it in the wrong forumn, I see nothing wrong with that post.

Thanks for the link.

J_A_B

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2001, 05:57:00 PM »
 If you knew 'who' he is you'd know 'why' he posted that here JAB   It's not a biggy. I had already down loaded it. It's nice. Better than before. However definately nothing for Hotseat to light up a victory cigar over. The graphics are not any 'leap' by far - contrarty to what has been touted for so long from the team there. And the sys specs are a hog in comparison to AH. Nope. WB III, even given it's beat release, is not going to be grabbing HTC's crwon any time soon.
 To use someone elses' screen shots as an example (it aint worht my ftp space and these do fine)
 http://agw.dogfighter.com/agw//Forum3/HTML/018934.html

It is, at best, on par with AH. One good positive is the MAC guys can see 3D now and not feel like they're paying the same for less.

If someone needs to save $5/mo this could be an option.

-Westy

Offline Wicked

• Zinc Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2001, 06:15:00 PM »
Westy,

I'm at work so I haven't downloaded or seen it yet, but I would like to correct you on making a statement about what you saw.

I am by far not a cheerleader for iEN and I do fly AH these days more than I do WB, but I still like both.  This release of WBIII is a BETA and as cautioned by them, has many features and effects purposely disables so that they can load test it properly.  As time goes on they will turn more and more features on.

So I think it would be seriously unfair to judge this very first beta release to the current version of AH, just as it was unfair to judge the first version of AH to then WB.

I seriously hope that WBIII raises the bar for online combat sims.  I for one, know I will be the better for it.  

------------------
1st Lt. Wicked
XO,487th FS "Lil' Bastards"
352nd FG "Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney"
352ndfightergroup.com

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2001, 06:27:00 PM »
Hehe, no offense, Westy bud, but you have become the HTC cheerleader extraordinaire   Everytime ANYONE mentions WB here you go nuts.

You telling me that doesn't look good for an initial beta release? A release that, like AH, is bound to get better with every update over the beta cycle?

I give HTC kudos when I feel they're deserved, and iEN kudos when I feel they're deserved. In this case, they deserve some kudos. WB3 looks to have a lot of potential.

Spitboy -SW-

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2001, 06:32:00 PM »
Will hold off on Kudos till i see if any FM changes and connect issuses have been addressed. If not at least there planes are as purdy as ours.

Dog out............

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2001, 06:47:00 PM »
 And you must be the Ying to my Yang Spitboy    

YES, they do get kudos for the work they did. You're screen shot looks very, very nice. What are the settings and yous sys if I can ask.

Now, back on topic (gets into cream and burgundy sweater wuth the gold letters HTC on the front, pleated skirt and sassy pom-poms)....

How do you figure I went nuts? I didn't rant, rave ot trash WB III. Don;t lump me in with your pet MAC boy MG. I gave an honest first impression.  I've been trying it offline for about an hour and I'm just going to put it away till penidng some changes. It's definately underbaked. The chicken is still pink inside.

YMM, of course.

I honestly would feel guilty if I worte all my thoughts on what I think of WB III. I also have no doubt if I gave a true nit picky synopsis of all that I found wrong we'd end up having the WB's junk yard dog team here pronto. Snapping at my heals and looking for a fresh bloody t.

All that I have found right in WB III I've already had (and more) here in AH for quite some time.  WB III is not bad. It's not that great either. <shoulder shrug>

Wicked, I understand that this release is a true beta product. IMO, it does not live up to the hype that HS's been making it out to be. THIS software is what they have been playing/testing with.  That is my 100% honest opinion of course.

Sure I'm an AH fan, chearleader, whatever. But I'm not dumb, brand blind nor looking to have Pyro's love child. HTC gets $30/mo from me, I get an outstanding deal. It works well. I like all the folks at HTC.  I____ well, no need to mention the folks at iEN    

Anyway, I prefer Fenway Franks. Spitboy prefers Colonial. They're both hot dogs. I don't feel threatened because his favorite is coming out with a new improved product on par with what I like. I was given a taste test of the actual product. I did not like how it tastes. Now the other tasters are going to string me up for being heretical?

If I thought WB III was a better bargain or I got more value for my money? It's simple. I'd become a WB III subscriber. Same went for WB 2.77. I'm not a customer of WB 2.77 and I do not see anthing that makes me go "wow!", "holy toejam", "would you look at that!" , "hey HiTech when can we have xxxxx (fill in the blank)".  I just don't see it getting there. There are alot of ambiguos and thinly hinted at promises of more ot come. What that stuff is I have not clue.

-Westy

[This message has been edited by Westy (edited 03-14-2001).]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2001, 06:47:00 PM »
I got cracked up when I read that thread, and read that none of the links go anywhere. I'm not a big internet genius, but when I add a movie, film, etc. to my squad's webpage. You can bet, even with my limited experience, I check my link before I go posting it somewhere.

It's just something you do.  

Who was it that found where the file was anyway?

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2001, 07:10:00 PM »

How do you figure I went nuts? I didn't rant, rave ot trash WB III. Don;t lump me in with your pet MAC boy MG.

Don't lump me in with MG, either, please. If you knew the history, you'd know that I've known MG a long time and have worked with him on a few projects. However, I've also pointed out to him in public on AGW that I think his slamming of HTC is way overboard and not justified.

Your first reply set the combative tone for this thread at the outset. I direct you to the AH 1.06 released thread on AGW, where AGW denizens showed a lot more tact, IMO, when provided with info on developments in the genre. Cause that's really what it's all about - we all love flight sims.

I don't feel threatened because his favorite is coming out with a new improved product on par with what I like.

Again, don't put opinions in my mouth   WB is by no means my favorite. I haven't flown WB in at least 4 months. I merely said I think it looks good for a first-look beta and shows promise. I like to give people credit when I feel they deserve it.

Spitboy -SW-

Offline Sancho

• Silver Member
      • http://www.56thfightergroup.com
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2001, 07:12:00 PM »
It is a beautiful screenshot.  Competition is good.  

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2001, 07:39:00 PM »
I just got out of a offline session with wb3. Unfortunately my P2 333 is just under min specs.  Everything else is at min spec.

Still, I could get around ok.  I like the terrain,  Nice fuzzy feel to it from a distance.  The planes look good.  Im using the hires cokpits and was disappointed, they look like 2.7 but understand these are still being developed.

I didnt like the way I had to load my 8 views into memory.  Unfortunately, the tracers and hitflashes still look like 2.7.  The smoke and flame look alot like EAW.

I am going to spend more time with it, but until I upgrade I wont torture myself online
with it.

AH does appear finally to at least have a neighborhood competitor with WB3s.  My take is AH v1.6 is still quite a bit advanced along developement lines and overall user interface options, but WB3s use of custom skins and modular design allowing for community aid in developement (adding GVs   still makes WB3 extremely viable in the long haul if these things come to fruition.

WTG I guess for the folks at iEN (considering how long this has taken).  With some work WB3 (and an PC upgrade) just might be worth an account for this AH afficianado.

Until then,
Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 03-14-2001).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2001, 07:39:00 PM »
Cool Screen shot!  Have to wander over to have a look see! Competition is good! Will keep HTC on their toes. They are already, but they need to stay that way.

Thanks for the look joness!

Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
WBIII Beta is out!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2001, 07:40:00 PM »
Graphics look nice...but that's to be expected.  Tracers still look odd, but will likely be fixed.  From what it looks like they're using a whole lot more polygons than AH does--hence the higher requirements.

Sounds are about what can be expected.  Somewhat better than the AH default sounds, but nothing incredible, quite similar to the previous release..  Flightsims these days seem to skimp on the sounds--probably expect community to make better ones anyway.

Cockpits....basically the same as WB2, except seem to have added 3D support.  

FM....didn't get to fly around much due to throttle problems, but seems like a cross between WB2 and AH--overall feels like AH, but still has that "mushy" feeling from WB2.

Damage model...lord knows.

Interface--reeks of "beta".  They definately have a lot more work in this area.

Seems like a good release, but unquestionably not a finished product.  Brings WB's technology up to that of AH, and possibly a hair beyond.  I still like AH better.

J_A_B