Author Topic: 1/2 year evaluation: Ki-84  (Read 2399 times)

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
1/2 year evaluation: Ki-84
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2005, 03:59:34 PM »
Originally posted by Soda
The firepower/ammunition "weakness" is more perceived than actual in my mind.  I'd agree that ballistically they are a bit weak but otherwise I think they are pretty much average in terms of ammunition duration, impact and total firepower potential.

Yeah Soda, I can agree with that. Guns remind me of 109 20mms which I dislike.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2005, 04:09:17 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos

Please don't see this as an attack.  I just think you wrong.  I can't count the number of 38s I killed because they thought they could go vertical with a KI on them.  You are right about flying slow though.  The KI can virtualy stop in mid air, wait for the overshoot, wep on and you can go straight up in a matter of seconds.  I took of a CV last night with 75% fuel.  Went straight up using about 1/4 or less of the CV deck.

If a P-38 pilot lost a vertical fight to a Ki, the P-38 pilot wasn't all that good to begin with.  I'm sure in the right hands the Ki-84 could be a fight but from my experience in fighting the Ki-84, I don't consider it to be a threat at all.  But that's just my experience in fighting the Ki-84 so YMMV.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2005, 04:20:22 PM »
Originally posted by Soda
The high speed handling/aerodynamic-fragility is the bane of the Ki84. The speed intolerance of the Ki-84 is the real issue and how it conflicts with the average persons engagement profile.  Most people in speed-inferior aircraft use the "climb high, dive in for extra speed, chase down an opponent and force them to turn-fight" profile for this type of aircraft. That's a dangerous approach in the Ki84 as it tends to shed parts easily at speed and the handling becomes very heavy. The Ki84 can also be easily frustrated by diving away, taking away the maneuvering advantage it may have and making a pretty easy escape.  The Spit V simply has far better handling over the entire speed range of most aircraft.

Yup, I almost gave up on this plane because I kept ripping part off it. You have to be gentle with it. Know what speed it will perform the best at.  I did have to learn not to chase planes in a dive. Stay up and be patient.

The firepower/ammunition "weakness" is more perceived than actual in my mind.  I'd agree that ballistically they are a bit weak but otherwise I think they are pretty much average in terms of ammunition duration, impact and total firepower potential.  Only other thing to add is the quick cycle time on the WEP which allows you to run it on a whim and not worry about being caught without it when you really need it.

Once you are used to the ballistics the guns are quite effective. Much like LW planes the ballistics take time and practice. WEP is great, burn it up and it comes right back.

BTW: Thanks Soda, w/o your writeup I would probably have given up on this plane.

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2005, 05:16:13 PM »
With all the respect Pellik, I think you just have not flown the KI a lot.  You said you only flew it a few minutes and the repetition got to you?  It can out turn a spitV but only has a slight turn advantage agaist the 38?  The 38 can go vertical at 90mph? so? KI84 can go vertical at 70mph.  If anything can kill a good 38 pilot, it is the KI84.  What kind of tricks does the spitV have that make it more interesting?

Please don't see this as an attack.  I just think you wrong.  I can't count the number of 38s I killed because they thought they could go vertical with a KI on them.  You are right about flying slow though.  The KI can virtualy stop in mid air, wait for the overshoot, wep on and you can go straight up in a matter of seconds.  I took of a CV last night with 75% fuel.  Went straight up using about 1/4 or less of the CV deck.

I've put some time in the KI, I just don't fly it much now because of the repitition. In stall fights between the KI and the 38 there are two aspects which the 38 can use to easily gain angles. First the P38J (what I fly) can sustain level flight as low as 50mph. Second the KI takes its time to get it's nose down when it stalls nose up. The 38 can just keep pointing up until 0mph   and do a clean fast hammerhead. And while yes the KI can go verticle at 70mph, it won't recover cleanly from the verticle at those speeds.

Neither the 38 nor the KI-84 turn as fast as a spitV. Fortunately their supperior verticle performance allow them to use stall fighting tactics to "out turn" the spit reguardless. I turnfight spitVs in my 38, you turnfight them in your 84.

I can't tell you that much about spitV tricks, it's just not my plane. I can say the 38 proves much more interesting to me on account of it's much better medium speed handling. It's higher speed flap deployment allows more variation on the merge. And it's guns package means you don't have to follow some spittard through 20 turns to get close enough to shoot.

-p.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2005, 05:22:30 PM »
I like how P-38 pilots always post the same stuff in every aircraft thread:

"Blah blah blah blah blah P-38 is great blah blah blah blah blah P-38 easily wins blah blah blah blah blah blah blah P-38 is the best ever blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah."

All the while trying to sound so reasonable, but always reaching the same conclusion that the P-38 is the bestest fighter ever and mocking the skill of anybody who loses in one.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2005, 05:43:40 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak

"Blah blah blah blah blah P-38 is great blah blah blah blah blah P-38 easily wins blah blah blah blah blah blah blah P-38 is the best ever blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah."

All the while trying to sound so reasonable, but always reaching the same conclusion that the P-38 is the bestest fighter ever and mocking the skill of anybody who loses in one.

The P38 is the standard for AH stall fighters. If you want to talk about the effectiveness of a stall fighter without mentioning the 38 you're not going to quantify it's usefulness.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2005, 05:48:15 PM »
I hate it.  The plane sucks.  Don't fly it unless you want to waste your time.  Its useles against 38s and SpitVs.

TO THE DA!!!!!!

Its not that bad Dedalos, catch me in the MA some night and Ill show you what I mean:aok

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2005, 08:39:24 PM »
Slash..

Think "reverse psychology"..!

Offline SkyLab

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2005, 08:42:23 PM »
I hate it.  The plane sucks.  Don't fly it unless you want to waste your time.  Its useles against 38s and SpitVs.

dedalos who you kidding? (I think he wants to keep the KI a secret)

I have seen you land plenty of kills in a plane that "sucks". lol

KI-84 is a good plane. How do I know?

Because I stink and I manage to get kills with it.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2005, 09:18:04 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
Slash..

Think "reverse psychology"..!

doh!   God Im easy:(

:D

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2005, 09:21:43 PM »
Skylab!!

Read  Slash27!!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2005, 11:32:05 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak

Hmmm...who says the P-38 is the best fighter in this thread?  I just said from my experience, I don't consider the Ki-84 to be a major threat, YMMV.  Don't recall saying the P-38 is better in anyway and pellik just pointed out what the P-38 can do at low speeds the Ki-84 can't.

Why is it whenever you see the word P-38, you get your panties all in a bunch?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2005, 12:39:51 AM »
O OOOOOOOOO!!  Fight fight Fight ...

:D
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2005, 07:45:08 AM »
Ok.
P38 Sucks and so does the Ki84 :D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2005, 09:04:11 AM »
:lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.