Author Topic: 1/2 year evaluation: Ki-84  (Read 2400 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
1/2 year evaluation: Ki-84
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2005, 09:08:19 AM »
I think some people confuse their skills and experience with the actual abillities of a plane.  You guve the plane too mach credit and the pilot too little.  You guys have mastered the 38.  There is nothing anyone can throw at you that you wont be able to counter and win the fight in a P38.  However, I think, you could probably do the same in any other plane anyway.  I am not saing there is anything wrong witht he P38.  Just saing that you have a lot more to do with the outcome of the fight than the p38 itself.

Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2005, 09:23:18 AM »
Fly the mossie ya bunch of girls!:D
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2005, 10:53:48 AM »
Originally posted by dedalos
I hate it.  The plane sucks.  Don't fly it unless you want to waste your time.  Its useles against 38s and SpitVs.

LOL!!! What are you smoking? And does Frank know you stole it from him? :P

When the Ki84 came out, and I had test flown it, I thought "THANK GOD!" finally something to kill those pesky P38s in. It used to be that I could hold my own in a 109F4 or G2 against a P38L, but it was a hard fight. Then with AH2's uber flappage it just got worse. And the only P38 pilots I saw always did the same tired old routine (instantly go vertical, reposition on the downside). So once I started flying the Ki84 I could zoom with the best of them, and wound up shooting down most P38s that tried the "tired and true" manuever they always use. Results? I see way less p38 drivers now. LOL!

Ki84 outflies spits. Outflies 38s. It's a fun fight vs a 51D (but have only had a few of those, can't tell which dominates). It's slower, but it accelerates in a dive like a DREAM. I've found the magical "break things off" point to be just short of 500 TAS (but more than 450, for sure).

Ammo is great. But then I'm relatively conservative in my shots.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2005, 12:03:15 PM »
Outflies Spits? When I'm in a KI84, the worst nightmare is a Spit, When I'm in a Spit, well, I see an opponent that will stay and fight untill I kill him :D
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2005, 12:18:17 PM »
Originally posted by Angus
Outflies Spits? When I'm in a KI84, the worst nightmare is a Spit, When I'm in a Spit, well, I see an opponent that will stay and fight untill I kill him :D

A spit will give nightmares to any plane simply because of the stile of fight people get suckered into.  Fly the Ki84 and a few other planes right and all the spit can do is try to dodge bullets.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2005, 12:20:23 PM »
Originally posted by Krusty

Ki84 outflies spits. Outflies 38s. It's a fun fight vs a 51D (but have only had a few of those, can't tell which dominates). It's slower, but it accelerates in a dive like a DREAM. I've found the magical "break things off" point to be just short of 500 TAS (but more than 450, for sure).

Ammo is great. But then I'm relatively conservative in my shots.

I think it can take enything US made including the 51, but that does not mean it is going to win everysingle time.  It has the ability to kill a 51, the rest is up to you.

If you want a good fight with a 51, find GrmRpr or TankMan

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2005, 04:31:32 PM »
Originally posted by Angus

When I see a spit I'm not worried at all. Think of it this way, a KI can beat a spit slow(150 or less) or you have more speed vs a spit9(and a ton vs spit5) to rope them or at least get an alt advantage off the merge. As always, pilots a factor, but all things equal I find spit only has a narrow window where it has the advantage. The thing is, that window is where you're most likely be fighting at(150-200 range in a TnB fight).
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline TheThang

• Copper Member

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2005, 09:35:38 PM »
THang, that article is rather.. um.. "gushing".. and the author clearly believed everything he was typing, but it's not all correct. For example he says it was faster than all allied planes, including the p51 and p47 at all except the highest alts (I know this isn't right, so I checked it out). That and the dubious 40,000 ceiling on the ki84 make the article suspect, detail-wise.

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2005, 10:50:53 PM »
There is a way to beat any other plane in any kind of fight when you're in an 84... and it's easy to do if you have some talent. Best pure dogfighter in the game.
Army of Muppets

Offline Mitsu

• Gold Member
      • Himitsu no blog (Mitsu's secret blog - written by Japanese)
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2005, 11:28:09 AM »
When Ki-84-I-Otsu (20mm*4 150rds each ver) is out, I will be back.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2005, 11:51:56 AM »
Most things have already been said but Im gonna chip in.

Awsome plane. Really great one. One of the best we have. BUT its not a easy plane to fly. While there are harder planes its still not a dweeb friendly plane to fly.

Since you cant dive very well in it and you have to trim manually when you do its not something the dweebs want. The dweebs want the "if all fails dive to the deck and run for home" option,  the "if all fails turn till you puke" option or the "no matter what ho".

The turn till you puke crowed either takes a Zekke or a SpitV they wount fly the Frank because they can dive in a SpitV and dont see any benefits over the Zekke (as they cant use the vertical). The drop like a stone and feel crowed obviously go for lalas, runstangs and doras. For the HOers the gun load out aint cannonized enough so they go for the nikki. This imho is why you dont see any mass usage of this great plane.

Reason I dont fly it as much as I could is that Im currently focusing on planes that will be in ToD and learning them one by one PLUS that the Frank is a bit cursed for me.

The curse, pilot wounds and engine oil hits. I dont know why but I tend to get either a pilot wound or a engine oil hit on like 20% of the hits I take, if not more.  Find it a bit frustrating actually even more frustrating then the paper wings of the spit. In the spit when I loose my wing I die, done deal. ;)

Tex

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2005, 01:11:50 AM »
If I'm in Ki84, my worst nightmare be a "good pilot" in a P-38 or a Spit, not A P-38 or A Spit.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2005, 01:22:31 AM »
Had 4 head to head fights with Dedelos in his Ki84 and me in my 38G.  I got lucky on the first two and he clobbered me on the last two.

Good fun all round.  He should have had me on the first one as well.  Too much E in that Ki-84 for my 38G to hang with.  Thankfully he missed the shot as I stalled out first.

Not sure how some of the good 38L sticks would do though with that extra power the L has.

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2005, 08:49:32 AM »
Originally posted by Guppy35
Had 4 head to head fights with Dedelos in his Ki84 and me in my 38G.  I got lucky on the first two and he clobbered me on the last two.

Good fun all round.  He should have had me on the first one as well.  Too much E in that Ki-84 for my 38G to hang with.  Thankfully he missed the shot as I stalled out first.

Not sure how some of the good 38L sticks would do though with that extra power the L has.

Dan/CorkyJr

L does not stand a chance (given equal pilots).  It does not respond like the G.  You did not get lucky last night.  These fights are won by the guy that makes the less mistakes.  Its not luck you flew better than me on the first two.  Also, on the last two I changed tactiks.  I came at 300 or less, instead of the 350 or more on the first 2.