Author Topic: ISO Fighter Ace trainer  (Read 1075 times)

Offline maoiwowie

• Zinc Member
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« on: June 06, 2005, 03:11:30 PM »
Ok...i am in my first week of the free trial and have quickly realized that i am nothing more than cannon fodder ( im sure everyone had a Delightful time shooting this clay pigeon down ); although i did manage to get some kills however ugly they were. I have come to understand the basics of trading PE for KE and vice versa but have a difficult time applying this rule to ACM. Having started out with just a mouse, then to a stick, and now the pedals, i am ready; however i need to learn how to better use my rudders and throttle during ACM, when to lead turn, when to lag turn, the list goes on...

Regards,

Dennis
Dlite

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 04:16:39 PM »
Your best bet would be to go to the training arena instead of the Main Arena. There is usually somebody in there that can help. If there is not a trainer hang around and somebody will usually show up .

They can help you with setup, ACM, and about anything else you may have problems with or questions abount.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 04:25:45 PM »
Yup, TA is the place to be. Also, even if it's explained to you well, it'll still just take time and practice(and getting killed) over and over before you start to notice anything. Main thing is to remember EVERYONE went through it, and not to get discouraged.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 09:25:17 PM »
what they said.

I flew against you last night. You did ok.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 07:44:02 AM »
Hey Dlite

Think you have to remember is you are flying against people who have been doing this for 4 - 15 years.

Learning curve is high and tight, but your on the right path. Split your time between the MA & the TA.  When you do fly in main, film your sorties, so you can play them back later & see your mistakes.

Keep hooking up with any trainer you can in the TA, also some of the guys who hang in there are just as good (or better) than the trainers.

Hang in there, this is going to take some time to master. But it is SO worth it.

Offline maoiwowie

• Zinc Member
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 12:47:40 PM »
Yes...im not sure i would call it flying for me yet. The conversation with my girlfriend last night went like this:

GF: Hey is that a new game you are playing? are you having fun?
Dlite: (grunt) Yes, this is fun
GF: Are you flying a plane?
Dlite: Silence...
GF: Well are you winning?
Dlite: (Turns angrily) Do you know what a clay pidgeon is!?!

Ok i will be in training everyday...and when i do play MA...i will be in my NIKI as a bishop. Look forward to the merge!

Cheers,
Dennis
Dlite

Offline jthemenway

• Zinc Member
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 02:02:37 PM »
Also recommend take 5-10 minutes and practice your gunnery offline against the drones before going into the MA.

Nothing more frustrating than to get into a position to shoot and realize that you arn't hitting anything. This will help you as you try and extend your shooting range beyond 200.

It's not the same as the MA with people trying to evade, but at least you will get used to the site picture for the plane you are flying.

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 02:11:03 PM »
convergence settings help to ...

I recomend startin with the setting were you fire the most from .
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 05:55:01 PM »
Originally posted by maoiwowie
Yes...im not sure i would call it flying for me yet. The conversation with my girlfriend last night went like this:

GF: Hey is that a new game you are playing? are you having fun?
Dlite: (grunt) Yes, this is fun
GF: Are you flying a plane?
Dlite: Silence...
GF: Well are you winning?
Dlite: (Turns angrily) Do you know what a clay pidgeon is!?!

Ok i will be in training everyday...and when i do play MA...i will be in my NIKI as a bishop. Look forward to the merge!

Cheers,
Dennis
Dlite

LOL...I spit Dr. Pepper when I read that. Your learning Dlite. Thats the first step. I spent litterally 1 month in the MA and didn't kill one plane with a shot. I got a few proxy kills...but never "Downed" a plane. That was the first month I flew in here. I was a Hot Shot in the previous sim I had played. Got to AH and found that I was TRULY a clay pidgeon as well.

Don't let it get ya down. Just hang in there...Train...practice in the TA and DA and jump in.....Dieing in this game is nothing. It just aloows you a NEW Shiney Plane.:lol
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 06:02:39 PM »
maoiwowie

When it comes to deploying ACMs with Energy in mind.

*Vertical manouver stores Energy

For example Immelman. Half loop with roll.

The Immelman stores energy as you reverse 180 degrees. You still burn some energy as you in fact pull of a manouver but the horizontal movement stores energy for you.

*All manouvers burn energy

For example Flat turn.

Reversing 180 degrees through a flat turn will burn energy but doesnt store any away.

Meaning 2 planes that have equal energy one does an Immelman and one a flat turn then the one who did an Immelman will always have more E left.

Another example of a Energy saving ACM is the High YoYo. Once again you have vertical movement and you store energy. The fact that you move vertically will result in you slowing down quite a lont and hence your able to pull a very tight turn at the top.

Just examples but as said the training arena is your place to learn.

Tex

Offline maoiwowie

• Zinc Member
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 12:52:05 PM »
I want to apologize to some of my fellow Bishops for not calling the "6" or sounding a heads up; as this has led to at least a few angry comrades...i know you guys have been watching my back as i am thinking about naming my first born "Check6". I will try to be more alert, but really most of the time im just trying to stay off the hard deck.

The energy, Kinetic and Potential concepts i do get...i just dont know when to go vertical when to flat turn. How to not get in the habit of reacting to your opponent as opposed to having your opponent react to you. How to guage your opponents E state. After the horizontal merge...what am i going to do next?

Cheers,

Dennis

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 01:13:19 PM »
i start my turn ussually around 600 to 400 on the merge  . alot depends on the plane  im fighting against too .

part of the secret of gaining the Adv. at the merge is to get up into the vertical loop 1st and keeping an eye on them so you can manuver for the kill . if the oppenent goes for the ho shot they ussually wont get the adv and have to run.

also Dont worrie about the ck 6 calls .. it comes as ur situation awareness improves
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 05:56:26 PM »
Yes, let them come up yer 6 until they're about 600 before you reverse on them. It surprises the heck outa them :)

Well, you've seen me do it enough times now so you should be able to let them in to around 1k before going after them.
Just make sure you watch them commit before you commit. If they don't level off and extend until they get up some gumption and actually come to fight ya.

Offline SixWhiskey

• Zinc Member
Re: ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2005, 01:53:18 PM »
Originally posted by maoiwowie
Ok...i am in my first week of the free trial and have quickly realized that i am nothing more than cannon fodder ( im sure everyone had a Delightful time shooting this clay pigeon down ); although i did manage to get some kills however ugly they were. I have come to understand the basics of trading PE for KE and vice versa but have a difficult time applying this rule to ACM. Having started out with just a mouse, then to a stick, and now the pedals, i am ready; however i need to learn how to better use my rudders and throttle during ACM, when to lead turn, when to lag turn, the list goes on...

Regards,

Dennis
Dlite

There are some *good* pilots in here.  I've been flyin since the '70s, including some time in an A6 and have had a Navy pilot tell me, and this is a quote, "You're a pretty good stick".

And my K/D is 1/lost count.  I'm on week two and get shot down constantly.

The one thing that nobody mentions is that you get shot down more when fighting alone.  Tag teaming and sticking with the furball yields better results.  An assist is better than the parachute.

ACM.  Some "rookie" things to avoid.  

Do not climb to your target.  If they are higher, you are starting with a penalty.  Listening to the stall horn and bullets hitting your crate at the same time is not fun.

There is no shame in extending.  If you're losing, push that stick forward, and dive away.  Don't wait until you're all out of energy, either.  

Defensive BFM in this game doesn't work nearly as well as it does in real life.  Most anyone can follow you through all those split S's, yo yos, Immelmans, scissors, barrel rolls (totally inefective) and breaks. (Plus a few things that don't have a name.) Extending is your best bet for escape.  Air shows just don't work.

There are really three stages to an engagement:

1.  Get behind the target with speed and low angle-off.
2.  Close range.
3.  Keep range.

Step 3 is critical.  Don't overshoot, don't let them get away.  And wait until you're in close and have the situation under control before you open fire, because once the firing starts, the air show will begin.  

Boomers skip step 3 and take a snapshot.  If you're aim is good, that is is an option to explore.  

Out of all this, the most important thing, in my mind, is working with others.  Your chances of survival go up when there are green icons around you.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
ISO Fighter Ace trainer
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2005, 02:30:37 PM »
A very good thing to do, that I never did and am paying for it, is get into a squad. Fly with it for a while before joining. See who would take on the task of training you if you joined. Make sure they are a competent pilot.

Once you join and learn most of the basics and are getting kills now and again, pick someone to buddy up with; let them know you want to fly as a wingman. Not constantly, but whenever you're going out for some serious fighting, ie fast base capture. Use the .wingman GameID command to highlight them and learn the basics of wingman fighting. Train with that person until both of you are able to protect each other.

Last week, I'm sad to say, 4 of the guys in my squad (including me) couldn't beat a pair of winging FW190D-9s because we were so disorganized. They made about 7 kills each before returning home.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.