Author Topic: sim ace history  (Read 1825 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
sim ace history
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2005, 02:50:50 AM »
I first flew in AW in 1988, was a dweeb at first like most, but got to be good later on.  During the peak of my talent, I felt that I could go one-on-one with anyone in the game and be about equal.  (Of course, that's my perspective! :) )

My handle was then (and still is) "Brooke", and my player number was 5965.  After a bit, I did all of my flying in scenarios instead of the regular arenas.  I dropped out of on-line flying about 1999, and have recently started to get back into it here as of about mid 2004.

One problem is that I can't remember when my peak flying years were.  Was it 1990?  1993?  The weird thing is that, while I'm missing GEnie logs for 1990 into 1991, I have a bunch of the others, and my name and tail number are nowhere in there.  Creepy!  I flew *a lot* at some point, like 4 hours a day.  I'm guessing it then had to be 1990 or 1st part of 1991 until I got solely into scenarios or being a trainer in the Air Warrior Training Academy.

Anyway, the players I remember fighting more frequently who were very good are as follows.  I mean no disrespect to others who were awesome pilots.  We're dealing with my faulty memory of 15 years ago, and many excellent pilots were on my side or were in their peaks when I was already mostly in scenarios and out of the arenas, so they aren't in the list.  In no particular order:  Airmigan, Death Wish, Wild Thing, Phoenix, Bushwacker, B-Man, Escargot . . .  Actually, there were a lot of very, very good pilots over the years.  HiTech and Pyro were both very good, but I don't remember fighting them much.  Same with Killer, Caligula, Stiletto, Anvil, Drum, Twist, and a bunch of others.

Of those, I've seen Wild Thing in Aces High once (the guy I remember fighting a lot back when I was new and unskilled, probably in 1990 or so), and of course there are HiTech and Pyro.  I think all of them have the same handles in AH as in AW.  Airmigan says he might fly in the next scenario.

There are some other old-time Air Warrior pilots around.  There is this thread where some of them have said "hello":

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128754

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
sim ace history
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2005, 02:55:30 AM »
Originally posted by BTW
I miss half time and hit bubbles. I miss being able to hold a typed conversation in the middle of a dog fight. I miss flying with a mouse. I miss atari. I miss two smoke stack factories.  I miss kill macros. I miss 4 digit credit card bills. I miss the look of horror on my wife's face after seeing a 4 digit credit card bill.
I miss "2000 out, 1500, 1000,  IN!" I miss bailing from 25k.
I miss signing on to Geni before 6pm just to see who the rich people are.

I miss most of the players - except wild thing. I always hated Wild Thing (in a good way) .

But most of the time I just miss - still. Cant hit the side of a barn:p

Hmm.  Who were you in AW?  "BTW" doesn't ring a bell.  It sounds like you and I might be closer to being contemporaries in AW.

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
Re: sim ace history
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2005, 04:39:15 AM »
Originally posted by SkyRock I would like to find out who were the "old" aces of AW and AH and continuing into AHII.  Just the people who were there should reply to this.  Basically I want to know who were the badarses.  Some of these guys still play, so where appropriate, please give the handle they fly under now.  I have only been playing 1 1/2 years so I dont know squat.  By the way, when I say "aces" I mean the best dogfighters! :)
Skychimp told me you've been playing for almost 9 years.:confused:

Offline BTW

• Silver Member
sim ace history
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2005, 08:24:12 AM »
I played a little in 1992. I remember Stiletto. That guy was amazing in a p38. The original (not to be confused with the one written about on this board frequently) Vossman helped a lot. Ghostrider was my trainer. I forget my tail number.

On Chris I got a cool tail number - 1911 (well cool before 9-11) so I kept that even after they switched to handles. I remember Wild Thing had a handle that started with an "E" for awhile though I can't remember it. I have a film on a floppy somewhere of me chasing him from A land to C land and shooting him down in the ack of a cv. But mostly (in fact probably every other time) he killed me. He was vicious in a zeke. I got pretty good in half time then things slid with relaxed real time, and went completely to pot in in FR :D

Now in Aces High, I mostly just get shot down, though I'm getting a little better.

I sure do miss those hit bubbles.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
sim ace history
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2005, 11:06:06 AM »
Only been around since late 99, but the first stick I remember from back then is Jekyll, who spent time to teach me the basics of dogfight ACM.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: sim ace history
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2005, 12:37:34 PM »
Originally posted by jetb123
Skychimp told me you've been playing for almost 9 years.:confused:
lmao!  No, I found aces high watching discovery wings or History channel.  It was the august before last so I gues I'm closer to 2 years but definitely not 9!  You have to make sure SkyChimp gets his daily banana or his memory goes to Pot!:D

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
sim ace history
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2005, 12:56:22 PM »
what was your handle before skyrock?
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline SkyChimp

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
sim ace history
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2005, 01:10:16 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
This resume is about 5 years old

Ewwww your tdale :eek:

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
sim ace history
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2005, 01:10:31 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
what was your handle before skyrock?

I was the imfamous drunk, 031598!   numbers dweeb!  or as everyone else in the arena called me #'s , numbers idiot, get a real name, 013, 035, 0351... whatever ur name is dweeb, but my friends called me my real name......  Mark!:)

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
sim ace history
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2005, 04:37:20 PM »
Originally posted by Brooke
I first flew in AW in 1988, was a dweeb at first like most, but got to be good later on.  During the peak of my talent, I felt that I could go one-on-one with anyone in the game and be about equal.  (Of course, that's my perspective! :) )

But you wrote the bible of online sim combat, "How to fly and fight in Air Warrior".  That alone qualifies you for Ace status.  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline TheManx

• Copper Member
      • http://4wingonline.com
sim ace history
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2005, 06:10:09 PM »
I'll add ^Mule(Vexer), Rullr, 10-0, Gball, Rper, Tear, Sachs, Vet, no1/4...hell...there are too many.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
sim ace history
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2005, 06:12:18 PM »
Why, thank you, Ack-Ack! :)

I'm thinking that, one of these days, if I get up to speed enough in Aces High, I should adapt it to Aces High.  Currently, though, most of my on-line flying and effort is centered around scenarios.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
sim ace history
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2005, 08:07:22 PM »
Hard Rock flew here for awhile...no clue if he still does. To me he was the "original spitdweeb":)....I've never seen Rocketman or Big-T up. I'm drawing a mental block on the really good 190 driver (late AW-dos) then early AW on AOL (93-96)...but he was just amazing. There was also a phenominal A-26 driver...cobia on steroids...but then the A-26 was actually a great bird in AW. Obviously Lev was there as well...Jase did fly here....unforunately my memory just doesnt go back as far as I do....

One guy who I always enjoyed who I would put in the "semi-ace" range is the guy who introduced me to AH back in 1999...havent seen him in a few years but hope he's alive and swatting the little white ball in the Carolina's somewhere...that would be Moss...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
sim ace history
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2005, 08:29:45 PM »
Originally posted by humble
Hard Rock flew here for awhile...no clue if he still does. To me he was the "original spitdweeb":)....

HR was my (friendly) arch nemisis in AW-DOS, he flew here right before AHII went live, so its been a while.

I'm drawing a mental block on the really good 190 driver (late AW-dos) then early AW on AOL (93-96)...but he was just amazing.
That was Killer I believe, he was awsome in the 190. My greatest single kill in AW-DOS was a 1 v 1 kill of Killer, both of us in 190's and co-alt/e. I won in great part because he underestimated me at the merge and never got the advantage back, but I still look at that as a well earned victory.

There was also a phenominal A-26 driver...cobia on steroids...but then the A-26 was actually a great bird in AW.

DeadDuck flew the A26 a lot as a fighter, both gunned and ungunned. I used to love to go back to the Halftime arena and out turn Spits and even Zeke's with the A26...drove the Halftime guys nuts. :)

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
sim ace history
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2005, 08:51:18 PM »
Have to add Manx to the list!

One of the few that I lost to more than not! {S}

VAMPR and MURDR were always tough..but always higher...along with SHawk ....

Iron1 aka...oops, promised not to tell...was tough too.