Author Topic: sim ace history  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Stegahorse

• Copper Member
sim ace history
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2005, 09:40:41 PM »
I started AW1 in the beginner arena. Just as I finished my 10,000 points, AW2 came out. I think it was '97, but age obscures exact date.

I enetered the AW2 arena a complete newby and recieved an invite about 90 minutes into that first session. The Squadron name was and names like Viper,Tctoc, TKO greeted me. They were a great bunch and had me up to speed in about 2 months. As time pregressed, people left the squad, new people came in. I eventually had the honor to lead for a time. The only dissapointment from was that I was the one left to turn out the lights and lock the doors.

I applied to AWTC and was accepted. THe next great adventure began and I had the pleasure to serve the AW community as a trainer and as a Trainer/night manager. Many a pilot got the lecture about patience and practice. They also got to hone their shooting skills as they shot me down, alot! I think back to that time when one could "SEE" the light bulbs suddenly get brighter as the ideas imparted suddenly make sense to the students!
That is what I miss the most from AW.

Any roads, I was invited to Fly with the Damned. There I met TC, Ren,Snowman,Doc,Wind,Fool,Drano,Jordi, and about 100 others.
Then EA became involved with AW and that is another story. The choices were Warbirds and a new game, Aces High. We decided AH was about as close as we could get to the AW experience.
The Damned went through many squad designations until HTC allowed a change that let us use Damned Air Group as out name.

Most of those I met when I first joined the Damned are still around. They're not fliing much, but they keep in touch. Many have gone onto other things in life but, by inlarge, they remember AW with reverence.
The thing the Damned have taught me most is that it ain't the number of kills, or who you can/cannot kill that is important, it is the people you meet and the fun you have that is the most important. AH and all its players, especially The Damned have filled that dance card very fully.
As always, Damned if you do, no fun if you don't!!!!
I thought I was important until I got Cancer and had to go to a cancer clinic.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
sim ace history
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2005, 09:51:59 PM »
Originally posted by humble
There was also a phenominal A-26 driver...cobia on steroids...but then the A-26 was actually a great bird in AW.

Probably Rabid (Pyro's brother).
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
sim ace history
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2005, 11:46:38 PM »
Originally posted by humble
Hard Rock flew here for awhile...no clue if he still does. To me he was the "original spitdweeb":)....I've never seen Rocketman or Big-T up. I'm drawing a mental block on the really good 190 driver (late AW-dos) then early AW on AOL (93-96)...but he was just amazing. There was also a phenominal A-26 driver...cobia on steroids...but then the A-26 was actually a great bird in AW. Obviously Lev was there as well...Jase did fly here....unforunately my memory just doesnt go back as far as I do....

One guy who I always enjoyed who I would put in the "semi-ace" range is the guy who introduced me to AH back in 1999...havent seen him in a few years but hope he's alive and swatting the little white ball in the Carolina's somewhere...that would be Moss...

Trust me Moss is still around.  He spams the Nomad  mail list regularly.  He did fly for a bit in AH a while back

Dan/CorkyJr
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline eh

• Copper Member
sim ace history
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2005, 12:58:07 AM »
The ones that I remember, from AW, who are still in Aces High: whels, coors, filth (that bastid shot me down tonight, the bastidy bastid), brooke (who wrote the best acm manual ever), and others: s-fox, shi, and others that I can't remember. It all depended on which arena you flew in I think. I believe that Phoenix is still alive and well in Warbirds.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
sim ace history
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2005, 01:05:23 AM »
I've been talking to HR over in the bigweek.awscenarios newsgroup (on the news.bigweek.org news server).  He says he might come back to play in scenarios.  When the next one comes along, I'm going to try my best to get other folks over there to participate, too.

DeadDuck, well, he's holding out and refuses to fly anything anymore, although I keep poking at him.

Also, eh, thanks for the compliment!

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
sim ace history
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2005, 01:25:52 AM »
some of you may remember me from warbirds. I've had alot of fun fights with many. WB to AH currently not playing but I will play again. Come fly the friendly skies!!!

;)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
sim ace history
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2005, 01:26:36 AM »
hehehe..eh..i was gonna say hi after that but was too busy :)

~AoM~

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
sim ace history
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2005, 02:04:48 AM »
Dam aw been around since 88? wow! I started aw in 2000 i think...flew as tj101.. then jaxxo...sucked supremely for a year with no training..met Dh in warbirds who taught me alot..Man i had more fun as a newb just enjoying the game lol(memories) The funny thing is how long u can play and still learn everyday..keeps me interested. :)

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
sim ace history
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2005, 02:14:26 AM »
I remember ya senna, howdy

started playing WB back in '97 i think, was in VF-33, 367th in wb2 and 550th Tigertails in wb3

Been killin Pacer for almost a decade now  :aok
and i think ive bagged that guy who posted above me a few times too :D
But im a Jabo pilot at heart, no ace here
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 02:21:24 AM by Cooley »
Cooleyof 367th

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
sim ace history
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2005, 02:26:15 AM »
From my days in AW these are the names that i could come up with.

Murdr
Nylon he is in h2h
Ruaml
deadduck

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
sim ace history
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2005, 02:31:01 AM »
From my days in AW these are the names that i could come up with.

Murdr
Nylon he is in h2h
Ruaml
deadduck
PK1 great stick
coors
shawk
DEll
Viper
Steve best 51 pilot ever in aw
sunz great 109 guy

Offline senna

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
sim ace history
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2005, 02:50:39 AM »
Heya cooley. :)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
sim ace history
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2005, 01:23:04 PM »
Deadduck was the vader driver....

There is another 190 stick I'm drawing a blank on....

Glad to here Moss is around and kicking....please pass on a hello if you happen to think of it...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
sim ace history
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2005, 01:36:16 PM »
I started playing AW4W in September of '96.  Back then I went by the name DeadF, then later UberM, +Uber, and +Dead.  Much later on, I assumed such identities as Cilk and Logs.  I mostly flew Full Realism in either FR Big Pac or FR Fighter Town.

I came to Aces High in very late beta; I didn't stick around for AWMV.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
sim ace history
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2005, 03:28:04 PM »
Originally posted by Brooke

DeadDuck, well, he's holding out and refuses to fly anything anymore, although I keep poking at him.

Brooke...

The last time I talked to DD about coming here, he told me the graphics were too realistic and they caused motion sickness. While I understand, the thought of DD tossin' on his keyboard is a bit humorous. :D

humble...

DD was ok. But, he was made awesome because he had Wolfy gunning for him. Rabid flew it solo and would beat up spits and take their lunch money. :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."