Author Topic: O'club  (Read 11736 times)

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
O'club
« Reply #240 on: June 14, 2005, 02:11:25 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
I'm pretty sure the O-club got nuked because I was fast approaching 20k of posts (not counting the 7,000 that Skuzzy lost in the BBS change over in 2002). :D

j/k.:D

Oh, so it was YOU!:D
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #241 on: June 14, 2005, 02:11:39 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
The hand wringing reminds me of a Grateful Dead concert I went to in Berkeley.

I don't like the GD and didn't have tickets, but it was fun as hell to wander around the hills above the campus watching all the folks.

...anyway, at one point I witnessed a group of hippies (maybe 15 in all) surrounded by 3 security dudes.  The hippies wanted in, but had no tickets.  This group was on their 2nd or 3rd attempt at crashing the gates and their leader, a 5'11" guy weighing maybe 98 pounds was trying to rally his troops for another assault on the stadium.   His tearful plea, he was actually crying, went like this, "if we all hold hands and walk down there together, they just have to let us in".

All the, "your community and your game will wither and die without us o'clubbers", reminds me of that hippie.

ps.  when you buy the "magic" cookies from a chick with a beard, you know you are in for a good time.

:rofl

You never cease to amaze me, and always amuse me ... you are a classic.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #242 on: June 14, 2005, 02:12:16 PM »
Give to all BBS member moderation right in the O'club.

According to Laz when all people have weapon all people are more polite , let see if it work IRL :)

Offline CrzyMonk

• Copper Member
O'club
« Reply #243 on: June 14, 2005, 02:14:26 PM »

I don't like the GD and didn't have tickets, but it was fun as hell to wander around the hills above the campus watching all the folks.

SIZE]

When reading these things watching people beeotch slap each other over absolutely nothing, it is worth it when someone actually posts something funny as hellll!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salute Furious, that is, in the imortal words of Tommy Boy, AWESOME!

• Platinum Member
O'club
« Reply #244 on: June 14, 2005, 02:15:27 PM »
Originally posted by straffo
Give to all BBS member moderation right in the O'club.

According to Laz when all people have weapon all people are more polite , let see if it work IRL :)

The O'Club was real life??????????:eek:

No one told me.:(

LOL Straffo.:D
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
O'club
« Reply #245 on: June 14, 2005, 02:16:23 PM »
The O'Club was the ONLY reason I was still regularly visiting the HTC website.  Which in turn, got me to check out the news and updates on AcesHigh.  Without the O-Club, I will probably rarely if ever visit here.  I guess it's a business decision that has to be made on HTC's part.  

Sorry to see thing go ....

Terror

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
O'club
« Reply #246 on: June 14, 2005, 02:20:42 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
20k7,000 2002

:D
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
O'club
« Reply #247 on: June 14, 2005, 02:23:55 PM »
gee skyprancer...  You agree with karnak that nothing I ever said offended you?  Glad to hear it.

MT... I will miss the banter with your wife.

I guess what it amounts to is that I really don't have any suggestions because....

I never seen anything on the board that offended me... I guess some of the pics might have come close but they had allready been deleted before I seen em I guess.

lazs

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #248 on: June 14, 2005, 02:24:54 PM »
The hand wringing reminds me of a Grateful Dead concert I went to in Berkeley.

...anyway, at one point I witnessed a group of hippies (maybe 15 in all) surrounded by 3 security dudes.  The hippies wanted in, but had no tickets.  This group was on their 2nd or 3rd attempt at crashing the gates and their leader, a 5'11" guy weighing maybe 98 pounds was trying to rally his troops for another assault on the stadium.   His tearful plea, he was actually crying, went like this, "if we all hold hands and walk down there together, they just have to let us in".

All the, "your community and your game will wither and die without us o'clubbers", reminds me of that hippie.

ps.  when you buy the "magic" cookies from a chick with a beard, you know you are in for a good time.

hehe

Last GD concert I went to I was surrounded by about 200 Hells Angels. NOt a wimper among 'em.

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
O'club
« Reply #249 on: June 14, 2005, 02:24:54 PM »
Originally posted by Schaden
Anyone who actually WANTS to be a moderator should be banned from taking on the job.

IMHO moderation is a job and responsibility, and noone can make you or me to take a responsibility we don't want.

Look at the oldest "remote human communication" rules, FIDO policy. I wish there was a way to sum up all possible solutions to problems that can happen on public forums like this one :( Fido is a "strange combination of anarchy and totalitarism", and that's why it's still alive, regardless to new problems that appeared when gating "echoes" to Usenet.

• Platinum Member
The Aces High Community
« Reply #250 on: June 14, 2005, 02:25:36 PM »
What does it REALLY consist of?

The players, the people who really play the game?

The people who design terrain?

The people who create skins?

The people who design scenarios?

The people who host scenarios?

HTC?

The people who organize other events?

The people who organize official or semi official RL gatherings?

The people who volunteer to train or otherwise help out?

How many of the above regularly, or even rarely, inhabit the O'Club?

How many of them will just leave because the O'Club is not there if HTC doesn't reopen it?

I'm not saying the O'Club is totally irrelevant. It serves some valuable purposes. I was there, I enjoyed it, I learned, I was part of both the good and the bad. I would miss it if it never returned. But I wouldn't leave the game over it. It has its merits, it has its place, but I don't think it is the community, or the tie that binds the community.

SaVaGe

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
O'club
« Reply #251 on: June 14, 2005, 02:33:42 PM »
Virgil why don't you let other people say what they think on the topic? Posting page of page of the same one thought over and over really isn't enlightening anyone.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
O'club
« Reply #252 on: June 14, 2005, 02:35:35 PM »
Warning opinion alert...  But HTC asked for feedback and this post is still unlocked, so here goes.

Community does make the game, but the O-Club was not the game. There was more "community" in the H2H forums than there was in the HTC O-club. In my worthless opinion, most of the o-club posters were ex-players who liked trolling, arguing, being tards, and enjoyed the place as a generic, fairly rowdy chat room. The O-club had almost nothing to do with the game.

The O-club quit being "the community" when toad quit posting his toad stories, when the last ah cartoon was posted, and when the book of dweeb quit being updated with o-club posts. After that, it was a mixture of interesting but completely off-topic discussions and outright idiocy. That isn't the AH community, that's a lateral displacement from an AOL chat room.

Anyone who wants to spend time as part of the AH community needs to give something back to the community, something more than trolls and retarded "my schlong is bigger than yours" posts. Come up with a scenario, or volunteer to run one. Too big of a project? Volunteer to make ads for the scenario. Or just volunteer to help with the scoring. Or anything. Make a skin, terrain tile, or ground object. You can do all of those things and never pay a dime because of the H2H arenas and forum. That's "community", not a bunch of guys who used to play the game sitting around at work or at home drinking beer in their dirty underwear, wondering how retarded they can make their posts before people really get mad or skuzzy has to lock the post (or kill the forum). Don't gripe about the o-club forum being the "community", because it hasn't been about the game or the game community for several years.

If you don't contribute something to "the community", then frankly you're a leech and ought to be happy with what you're given. I wrote a couple articles a few years ago and back then I felt like a fully contributing community participant, but in the last years I'm just another low-time player. I found the o-club entertaining but it's over the top to pretend that it represented more than a wart on "the community's" butt. I haven't seen a positive community contribution from the HTC o-club forum in years. The community avoided that place and posted in the real community forums like the screenshot/films forum, the gameplay/feedback forum, even the H2H forum where the unfunded part of the community hangs out.

I'll caveat that by saying some of the "real AH community" (ie. current players who contribute more than just idiotic forum threads) DID hang out in the O-Club, but they were the exception, not the rule.  If you need help identifying who these people are, just search for posts by them on the whole BBS.  If they are regular posters in other forums, chances are they actually contribute to the game and community.  If they have 5000 O-club posts and almost nothing elsewhere, then the community and the game probably won't miss them much.  And if they are non-subscribers that still consider themselves part of the community and are upset that the o-club is gone, prove it by showing up in H2H occasionally and contributing a bit.  If you're too lazy to play a little H2H or even participate in the dueling ladder, then you're not really here for the game eh?

In my opinion.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
O'club
« Reply #253 on: June 14, 2005, 02:36:39 PM »
Originally posted by Saintaw
:D

LOL!!!:lol

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
O'club
« Reply #254 on: June 14, 2005, 02:37:43 PM »
The O'Club just needs a disclaimer:

"Personal attacks will be tolerated and complaints of personal attacks will be ignored by HTC. Enter at your own risk"