Author Topic: O'club  (Read 11393 times)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #285 on: June 14, 2005, 10:17:40 PM »
there is a problem though with keeping the moderators "anonymous"

if the edit someone's post, it will say "last edited by XXXX"

just like when you see skuzzy edit someone's post.

i don't know enough about bulletin boards to know if there is a work around for that.

if the moderators are anonymous, they would have to sumbit for review any mod's they have done, for due process, in case of a complaint about them. if there is no proof who did the mod, then there will be un-trust by the regular members. there will be complaints of "phantom" modifications to posts, with no way to track the truth.

if member moderators become a reality, and the "edited by" is turned off, my suggestion is there has to be a hidden forum for moderators, where they must show what the did, when, and why. without a way to track and moniter the moderators, i only see problems.

of course if this hidden mod forum is voluntary there is a chance someone could secertly mod a post / thread with no way to track them.

quite a pandora's box. anonymous moderators, how do you control them?

oh well hopefully a helpful thought
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #286 on: June 14, 2005, 10:24:34 PM »
Or the moderators could be assigned moderating accounts named "Skuzzy2, Skuzzy3, Skuzzy4, Skuzzy5,   ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #287 on: June 14, 2005, 10:27:45 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Or the moderators could be assigned moderating accounts named "Skuzzy2, Skuzzy3, Skuzzy4, Skuzzy5,   ;)
lol true

also thought of a "rule" for the moderators.

if one of their own posts gets "moderated" they get a warning.

second offense, they are banned from being a moderator. you can not have mod's going off the handle, and doing / enciting the very thing they are there to stop

sorry man i type incoherent sometimes. i had to re-write that sentence 4 times LMAO
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #288 on: June 14, 2005, 10:50:52 PM »
You would want to have a frontal lobotomy first before volunteering to become a moderator in that O'Club.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
O'club
« Reply #289 on: June 14, 2005, 10:59:19 PM »
Ignored: Shark88, B17Skull12, rpm, rrtg, SOB, deSelys, Pongo, Frogm4n, NUKE, Nash, type_char, capt. apathy, xrtoronto, Shane, AKS\/\/ulfe, Airhead, SirLoin, LePaul, TweetyBird, Urchin, Thrawn, Bodhi, MiniD, Furious, Hitech, Superfly, Natedog, Nilsen, Midnight Target, Moot, Lasz, Drunky, JB42, JB88, God, Ghandi, Allah, Serenity, Peace, Compassion, My Last Date, Getting Some, Common Sense, Dignity

I feel dirty for posting in this thread but I felt it necessary.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 11:02:13 PM by Drunky »
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Wolf14

• Silver Member
O'club
« Reply #290 on: June 14, 2005, 11:04:19 PM »
I'd like to see it come back or have a way to access it for looking back at some things.

There is a test there that berkely did about what looks good to a person and I was looking for the link to it for somebody here at work.

It wasnt all bad. There was useful things that would pop up in there from time to time.

:(

Offline joowenn

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
O'club
« Reply #291 on: June 14, 2005, 11:50:15 PM »
hello my name is joowen and I am an alcoholic.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 11:58:09 PM by joowenn »

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
O'club
« Reply #292 on: June 15, 2005, 12:00:59 AM »
I'd say with more moderators it can be salvaged.

More moderators and more SELF-MODERATION.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #293 on: June 15, 2005, 12:25:00 AM »
No Moderators.

We'll self police. Everybody's physical address is on file... if yer sig included a link to yer real name, address and phone number I betcha the atmoshere would be real civil. :D

We can raise the bounty fer a hit if (when) necessary.. tho I suspect some would do it fer free.

*wallah*

Problem solved.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
O'club
« Reply #294 on: June 15, 2005, 12:38:34 AM »
Originally posted by Drunky
I feel dirty for posting in this thread but I felt it necessary.

Heh, I never noticed in the tiny sig typing.  That's pretty neat, I've always wanted to be on a list.  Now I'm somebody!
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
O'club
« Reply #295 on: June 15, 2005, 12:47:52 AM »
Hello all,

Logged in today for the first time in three days and found I couldn't access the O'Club posts - I thought at first that I'd be banned and immediately pannicked that I finally said something so over the top that Skuzzy decided Seagoon had to go. So in one sense finding this thread was a relief...

I don't have time to post much, as I'm away on business at our denoms GA, but, let me say that I really enjoyed the O'Club, it was a place where I could meet individuals I'd never normally bump into and get answers and input to questions on any number of topics. While I hadn't been posting for long, I was also pleasantly surprised at the willingness of many of the members to show real comraderie. The O'Club was the one forum that really wasn't anonymous and impersonal. Good or bad, you really got the feeling you were getting to meet and converse with real people with their hopes, worldviews, aspirations, struggles, and so on. They ceased to simply be icons, and became real people with jobs, families, successes, failures, and heartaches.

Plus, I seldom end up snorting coffee through my nose because of something I read in the other forums, the O'Club - for all of its failings and irritations, was some of the funniest and just plain old entertaining reading I've encountered. I hope it comes back if only because I'll miss the interaction, even with the people I disagreed with.

There are some great people playing this game, and to tell the truth, I would never have found that out without the O'Club.

I hope that nothing I've posted contributed to the suspension, if I did, then HTC, please accept my sincere apologies, and please feel free to give me direction, public or private in how I can improve my participation in future.

BTW - as to being a mod, I am honored by your votes of confidence, but I already (im)moderate one list, and I must confess I wouldn't have a clue how to deal with this one. There have GOT to be better choices out there.

I'd send out a general salute and thank you to the people I've enjoyed reading and typing to, but it would take too long. I want to thank Storch and Toad for their particular kindness in assisting me directly and to all of you. Please keep in touch via email, especially if we are already talking, and if I can ever help anyone else out from the community, get in touch. I hope HTC figures out a way to put the O'Club back.

Gotta get back to reading for tomorrow.

to you all.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
O'club
« Reply #296 on: June 15, 2005, 01:08:30 AM »
So I fly 2500km, be w/out a computer for 5 days and when I get next to one I find out that o'club is closed?

damn...  :(

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
O'club
« Reply #297 on: June 15, 2005, 02:05:13 AM »
Originally posted by Staga
So I fly 2500km, be w/out a computer for 5 days and when I get next to one I find out that o'club is closed?

damn...  :(

you are probably one of the reasons it's closed.

I think HTC should open a sissy'Club for such people.

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
O'club
« Reply #298 on: June 15, 2005, 02:39:04 AM »
Originally posted by Dowding
That's a shame, I've had some good discussions in there over the years. But it is not the place it was back in 2000, and neither is the crowd to a large extent.

Vulcan summed it up quite well - I was only hanging around for ToD.

all

What Dowding, and Vulcan said... I always went to a new News, Announcements, & Information post first before even opening the O'Club....

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline deSelys

• Gold Member
O'club
« Reply #299 on: June 15, 2005, 02:52:47 AM »
Originally posted by NUKE
you are probably one of the reasons it's closed.

I think HTC should open a sissy'Club for such people.

LOL Nuke you're a classic. If Staga was one of the reason, you're responsible for a double share...
Current ID: Romanov

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye... then it's just a game to find the eye

'I AM DID NOTHING WRONG' - Famous last forum words by legoman