Author Topic: Need someone's opinion  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Need someone's opinion
« on: June 14, 2005, 05:38:04 PM »
How should I go about doing this? in this picture below I used tiles, but had to get rid of transitions because they messed up the islands. But without transitions the coral looks, well like crap.

I was thinking I could have transitions and just place tiles for the coral and make the island out of objects like I did for Ford Island, If I do this though I need help with AC3D... I absolutely suck with that thing. How can I make it with that? start with a square and make everything except where the island will be invisible? and then if I manage to figure that out, how do I give textures to it so its not just a solid white object sitting on the coral?

I miss the AH1 tile transitions:(

(those are the tiles originally made by squirrel for AH1, but modified so they would work in this complicated AH2 setup)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 03:32:33 PM »
I re-skinned some of the ground objects and it looks better, now in order to put an airfield on it I have to build it in the OE... How do you get a texture to show up in the OE? I dont know how I got it to work when I was doing Ford Island.

(I know the coral looks like cut up squares still, I havent started fixing that yet)

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 04:22:31 PM »
Hi Raptor!

I don't know how you did it, but I like it, teh shapes look very irregular, they are custom tiles obviously, but anyway so far looks nice.
Diamax

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 04:24:15 PM »
Beside the corral looking squareish I think the small island looks a bit too triangle to me. The big island is perfect.
Diamax

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 05:35:43 PM »

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2005, 02:26:42 PM »
Was that an actuall real setup?!
And one more thing.
I think it would be nice if you could make some waves, you know on the beach. Pretty sure I've seen waves in one terrain long ago, in the original AH, but I forgot who made those waves, but they were looking really nice.
Diamax

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2005, 09:29:49 PM »
I dont think its possible to have waves.. I mean using AC3D I think someone could make waves and place em in the game but they couldnt move, and I absolutely suck with AC3D.

How can I get an object to appear in the OE with a different texture than the default one?
For example I load rdrfacg1 in the OE, it shows the default grass texture for it.
But say I use that to make part of Midway and want to get the image of that section of island to load instead, so I would know where I was placing what. How would I do this?

Offline Diamax

• Copper Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2005, 11:09:36 PM »
Well someone made waves, long ago, cuz I've seen them, was something like animated textures I think, not sure though.
About your question, sorry I couldn't help.
I don't even know what AC3D is, but I believe is some 3D editing program, right?
OE, never opened it... so that's another mistery...
Diamax

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2005, 06:03:31 AM »
Originally posted by Raptor01
...How can I get an object to appear in the OE with a different texture than the default one?
For example I load rdrfacg1 in the OE, it shows the default grass texture for it.
But say I use that to make part of Midway and want to get the image of that section of island to load instead, so I would know where I was placing what. How would I do this?
Replace RADFAC.BMP and RADFAC_a.txt. You could create a new object in the OE (rdrfg0), but simply replacing these two files in your texsrc folder serves the same purpose.
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2005, 06:08:36 AM »
Raptor! You just might be my hero on this subject. :)

I figured out how to remove the transitions. Now all I need to do is recreate them the way I want them...

« Last Edit: June 19, 2005, 07:23:43 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2005, 01:35:52 PM »
I was talking with zmeg in AH and he didnt know how to make textures show up in the OE either, then I was thinking how I got it to work before and I got it.
Make a square object in AC3D the same size as whatever Im trying to give a texture in the OE and give it the texture in AC3D. Save it and import it to the OE, close the OE and open it back and anything that uses that texture in the OE will have it (such as city ground, airfield ground etc.)

removing transitions all you need to do it make the plb000#._a file solid black.

Offline kanttori

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 32
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2005, 02:17:12 PM »
NHawk: Absolytely great looking rocks on your picture! Is that texture made by yourself?  :aok
Lentorykmentti 3 - Finnish Aces High Virtual Flight Regiment

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2005, 06:18:23 PM »
Originally posted by Raptor01
I was talking with zmeg in AH and he didnt know how to make textures show up in the OE either, then I was thinking how I got it to work before and I got it.
Make a square object in AC3D the same size as whatever Im trying to give a texture in the OE and give it the texture in AC3D. Save it and import it to the OE, close the OE and open it back and anything that uses that texture in the OE will have it (such as city ground, airfield ground etc.)

Yup, works like a charm, thanks Rap.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 05:13:01 AM »
Originally posted by kanttori
NHawk: Absolytely great looking rocks on your picture! Is that texture made by yourself?  :aok
Yes, it is. I've been a photorealistic or near photorealistic enthusiast since I started messing with the TE about 4 years ago.

Unfortunately I started taking these textures into a different direction when I couldn't remove the current transitions. I was going to use the OE to create some mountain ranges. But there seems to be a size problem/limitation with AC3D and I haven't had any luck with it. That's why you can see some of the seams in the picture. I'll be restoring them back to their original state when I get the time.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 01:19:07 PM by NHawk »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Need someone's opinion
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 08:43:34 AM »
Those are beautiful NHawk.:aok
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001