Author Topic: The Lord of the Rings....  (Read 5165 times)

Offline Qnm

• Copper Member
      • http://no-such.net/WORK
The Lord of the Rings....
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2001, 09:22:00 PM »
more of what LUPO posted here: http://fan.theonering.net/rolozo/images.php?collection=howe

most of them > 1280x1024

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Qnm ]

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2001, 11:00:00 PM »
In an attempt to answer Charon's and others questions, here's what I've been able to gather on the Arwen, and Eowyn question.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD SO DON'T READ THE FOLLOWING IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ A COUPLE OF DETAILS ABOUT THE MOVIE.

Arwen takes the place of her brother, Glorfindel as previously stated during the Flight to the Ford.  I have to say that I was really taken aback by this and thought that this was a negative change especially in the light of Liv Tyler playing the role.

Several things have actually changed my mind on this.

#1 Peter Jackson really thought that it was going to be really difficult for audiences to buy the deeper love story behind Aragorn and Arwen on screen based just a very fleeting glimpse of Arwen in "1st" book. This is especially important in the light that one of the main reasons Aragorn wants to re-establish his rightful throne is based on his love for Arwen.  With that in mind they thought it was necessary to give Arwen a little bit of time so that audiences will develop an emotional attachment with Arwen as well as an emotional connection with Aragorn's motivation as well since this love story has a central part to play.  This makes a lot sense to me.  I think it actually works out well as well that Arwen in the movie really just takes the place of Glorfindel, her brother anyway.  It is conceivable that she could have easily been the rider that carries Frodo across the Ford vs. Glorfindel.

#2 From accounts I've read by Tolkien enthusiasts worried about the same thing, Liv Tyler actually plays the role of Arwen quite well.  Of course I haven't seen the performance but I have to say that seeing even the short line she has in the trailer she delivers convincingly and I have to say even for a brief second I was seeing Arwen alive on screen and not Liv Tyler.  The jury is still out for me I guess but at this point I think my fears have been relieved.

BTW- Arwen isn't a part of the Fellowship so don't worry about that.  And Eowyn is still in the story- played by Miranda Otto.

Tango, 1st Lt.
412th FS Braunco Mustangs
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2001, 11:06:00 PM »
Ammo:

Just looking at the site posted by Qnm.  Actually I think that's Frodo and Sam in the Land of Mordor marching along with one of the orc battalions.

Tango, 1st Lt.
412th FS Bronco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2001, 11:15:00 PM »
I waded through all the books in the early 70's.  All I got was a headache, and a strange sexual attraction to the word elves.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2001, 11:49:00 PM »
Eowyn will be played by Miranda Otto... Who was the wife of Pvt. Bell in 'the Thin Red Line'... which is the only place I remember her from.

http://www.theonering.net/movie/cast/otto.html

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2001, 11:50:00 PM »
oh... dtango just said that... hehe...

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2001, 11:56:00 PM »
Glorfindel is no relation to Arwen. He is just a Noldor lord with a common name that has been hanging out at elronds house since the the fall of Lindon.  Arwens brothers are the twins Elohir and Elohan or something like that. Removing Glorfindel from the story is no big deal really.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2001, 02:45:00 AM »
You guys are waiting? You haven't had to put up with LOTR pleebs running round town, setting up set in your favourite fishing spots, having hundreds of zit-ridden-teenage-boys trying to get into bars or clubs cos Liv Tylers there.

Me, I'm off to the movie care of Toshiba on 20/12/01  :)  oh and thats GMT+12 so I'll beat yas to it. They are showing on the 19th here but Peter-freaking-Jackson has booked out EVERY theater in town.

Any you boys watched Frighteners or Meet the Feebles? Good insight into his mindset  :D

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2001, 05:00:00 AM »
Glorfindel is no relation to Arwen. He is just a Noldor lord with a common name
Oh boy - what's an uncommon name then?  :D

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2001, 05:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by dtango:
Ammo:

Just looking at the site posted by Qnm.  Actually I think that's Frodo and Sam in the Land of Mordor marching along with one of the orc battalions.

Tango, 1st Lt.
412th FS Bronco Mustangs

Oh your right! First glance I thought it was the march in Rohan to Saruman's tower.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2001, 06:23:00 AM »
A few links maybe you know, maybe you dont.  www.theonering.net  and www.lordoftherings.net

Evidently Tom Bombadil is completely ommited due to film making stuff. Also I believe that the Barrow wights and the barrow downs are also ommited. However everything I have seen or read is great. The movie is well within the original story line. Somehow Peter Jacksons idea of what an Orc looks like was not close to the picture I had painted in my mind. But I imagin after watching this movie,  everything will look different for me in my mind in regards to this story :)  I have read the 3 book set 9 times since 1991.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2001, 06:56:00 AM »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2001, 07:21:00 AM »
listening to the unabridged CD now (16 CD's)

good, (like Tom Clancy better :)), hope movie moves alittle faster pace

wonder if it'll break the new records set by Harry Potter.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2001, 08:47:00 AM »
Aw, thanks for correcting the info on Arwen, Glorfindel, et. al. Pongo!  My bad for dissemenating misinformation!

My wife gave me the BBC audio version (13 tapes) for a gift earlier this year.  I enjoyed that audio series very much actually.

Tango, 1st Lt.
412th FS Braunco Mustangs

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2001, 09:47:00 AM »
I remember listening to the BBC series on FM radio back in the early 70's. This is one movie I will gladly stand in line to see. I must have read the 3 book set at least a dozen times. I have fond memories of laying in bed in my college dorm and deciding to blow off a class because I was at a good part.