Author Topic: The Lord of the Rings....  (Read 5162 times)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
The Lord of the Rings....
« on: December 05, 2001, 04:45:00 PM »
I'm getting more and more stoked and anticipating the opening of FOTR on 12/19!

For you Tolkien fans out there, here is a great site to visit:

www3.tolkienonline.com

I have to say I had been really worried about Peter Jackson really trashing LOTR with a film adaptation at worst or doing a mediocre job with the epic at best.  The jury is still out but from what I can tell thus far from early film reviews it appears I can set my fears at ease.

(1) It appears long time fans who have seen early screenings have not been disappointed whatsoever.

(2) It appears for the general movie viewer that the majority of Tolkien virgin film critics have given it glowing praises to the tune of things like:

This review is coming to you from a Tolkien-free zone. I went in to Peter Jackson’s movie—the first of a trilogy—with no preconceptions. I came out, three hours later, sorry I’d have to wait a year to see what happens next in Frodo Baggins’s battle against the Dark Lord, Sauron, and thinking a trip to the bookstore to pick up “The Two Towers” might be in order.

David Ansen - Newsweek  

I've certainly had my doubts but the early indications are that we are in for a good show for Tolkien and non-Tolkien fans alike with the upcoming movies.
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2001, 04:50:00 PM »
I don't know that I've been this excited to see a new release in some time.  The more previews I see, the more stoked I get.

AKDejaVu

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2001, 04:59:00 PM »
It has been a long long time since this amount of stoke-age has been felt by me.

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2001, 05:01:00 PM »
Man I know what you mean guys!

Here are couple more quotes:

I may have never turned a page of Tolkien, but I know enchantment when I see it.

Lisa Shwarzbaum - Entertainment Weekly

In marked contrast, Jackson’s Ring cycle generates the kind of epic cinema excitement, encountered in the films of Abel Gance (Napoleon), Akira Kurosawa (The Seven Samurai, Ran), David Lean (Lawrence Of Arabia), Stanley Kubrick (2001: A Space Odyssey), and arguably last seen on the American screen in Coppola's Apocalypse Now; it certainly far surpasses the standards of popular epics like Braveheart or Gladiator, the Oscar-winners of 1995 and 2000, respectively. What the trilogy's first installment shares with all those seminal movies is not just expansive breadth, but complex and engaging characters, genuine movie magic via state-of-the-art effects, and, most important of all, a moral and emotional significance, which are terribly missing from other event movies such as Titanic, Star Wars, and Pearl Harbor.

Emanuel Levy - Screen Daily

Heck I've even bought into the fact that the changes they did make to Arwen/Liv Tyler having an expanded role work and that she actually is just sublime in the role!

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: dtango ]
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
      • http://users.senet.com.au/~shanga
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »
Its nice to have had such an anticipated film made so close to home for a change. Its a 4 or so hour flight for me to get there and a whole day for my US friends  ;).

That jibe aside, I cant wait for LOTR. The last movie I got this excited about was SW Episode 1, and that turned out to be quite a dissapointment(especially since i went to the midnight premiere on a work nite). Everything i've seed for LOTR looks so sweet and to think its only 20 days away to an Australian release. I'll be on holiday in Darwin, but I know what i'll be doing that day  :).

or the hounds with bees in their mouth, so when they bark they shoot bees at you

Offline Serapis

• Copper Member
      • http://www.keithreid.com
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2001, 05:28:00 PM »
I hope Jackson delivers.

<WARNING: serious Geek/Nerdom ahead!!!>

I'm not bothered by the occasional plate mail seen in the trailer, but I am a bit worried about the glimpse where Arwen seems to take the place of Glorfindel at the Rivendell Fjord, when Frodo is chased by the Nazgul. I hope this is only an isolated incident and that she doesn't become a full member of the party. That would be a bit too much.

Charon

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Charon ]

Offline Serapis

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2001, 05:29:00 PM »
Must have posted at the same time dtango, whats the deal with Arwen?

Charon

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2001, 05:46:00 PM »
you should read "bored of the rings' a satire of lord of the rings , and much better i think

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2001, 06:00:00 PM »
I am waiting for it, I want to see it as soon as possible, though I know that I will not get a chance to see it in a movie, will need to watch it on video. Still I want it.

To understand what is Tolkien for me you need to imagine how it was to live in a Soviet Union. We could not get it in English, only books which were "Approved" were printed, and it took ages... Hobbit was published quit early, in 60x or 70x, but Lord of the rings was published only in 1982, first book, then in 1985 second, and last one was published in the 1987. Translation was terrible, very loosly based on real book, and even for it we waited for AGES.

I really want to see this movie.

Fariz

Offline Goth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2001, 06:03:00 PM »
Coming from a total Tolkein freak, yes I too hold reservations about the Arwen deal....by the way, it's Glorfindal at the river not Legolas. I have a feeling, however, that Arwen will not be a regular member of the troop, but she will replace others like Eowyn. I just hope that Jackson does not bastardize this and turn it into the fantasy Pearl Harbor.    :eek:

Also, as a side note, I am not the pasty faced Goth....Goth, my call sign, is short for Gothmog who was Lord of the Balrogs. We the Nazgul have taken our squad names from these books.
  ;)

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Goth ]

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2001, 06:26:00 PM »
Hunh.

It's been a loooooong long time.. 40 years?

The Trilogy was forced upon me by a girlfriend; I was a SF nut (Heinlein, Niven, Saberhagen..) and these Bagginsis were a hoot! Seemed like half the time Tolkien was tappin human racial/gene memories or something..

..or it could have been the mushrooms.

(hang wonders if he can find some more mushrooms before the movie gets released)

Was talkin to some folks out here about the books... they all drew a blank look, (one dude said 'those were pretty thick books right??') most had seen the animated cartoon thing some years back.

When they asked if I'd read 'em I said... "well.. dough! yah! Hell; I'm from the west coast... everybody knows they won't let you leave till yah read it."
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline LUPO

• Copper Member
      • http://www.stefanodeluca.it
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2001, 06:33:00 PM »
  :D

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2001, 06:45:00 PM »
that looks like the epic run of merry and pippin with grishnash. Awesome rendition.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Serapis

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2001, 07:11:00 PM »
by the way, it's Glorfindal at the river not Legolas

Goth

Yeah, I just noticed and changed it  :) Time for a reread I suppose. I was actually thinking, though, that she might somehow end up replacing Leoglas, or otherwise joining the party which would be a deal killer for me.

From what I can tell at the various sites she will perhaps fill in for a number of Elven sub characters including Glorfindal. I suppose that wouldn't be so bad, but having her be a "warrior" certainly changes her basic character (and there's already Eowyn for the warrior princess angle).

Charon

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2001, 07:40:00 PM »
She doestn replace legolas. Just glorifindal. I dont know if they swapped Eoewn as well. Wouldnt make much sence if the did. might substitute her brothers for her in the last book though.