Author Topic: The Lord of the Rings....  (Read 5163 times)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
The Lord of the Rings....
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
this is the one I'mlistening to now:

The Fellowship of the Ring
by J. R. R. Tolkien, Rob Inglis (Reader)

I just finished listening to "The Hobbit" by the same reader so I went with this one over the BBC audio.
I'm sure the movie will be fantastic. A great escape for all.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2001, 10:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by -lynx-:
Oh boy - what's an uncommon name then?   :D

Just a reference to the other Glorfindel in the Sillmarion and died fighting a Balrog in the sack of Gondolin in the first Age. Never figured out if it was the same guy come back for round two or what.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2001, 10:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by -ammo-:

Evidently Tom Bombadil is completely ommited due to film making stuff.

If you think about how many different characters there are in the books, and how confusing it can be just when reading them, it makes sense that they would need to remove characters that don't play directly into the main story to prevent the movie from becoming twice as confusing.  For each of us who has read the books, there will be 15 people going to see the movie who haven't, and without knowing who the characters are, I could see how it would turn people off to have that kind of confusion... especially across 3 films in two years.

Think of what happened to Dune... Lynch tried to include everything, and it ended up being 4 and a half hours long... so then the studio chopped it up, and essentially ruined it.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2001, 11:19:00 AM »
i dont know how you guy remember this. i got obsessed by the trilogy when i was 9 years old (13 years ago now) and read the whole thing in 1 week, stayed up till like midnight every night reading it. but now i cant remember a damned thing other than golumn and bilbo and frodo and gandolf.. mabye something about a eagle man? and the black horsemen but tahts about all i remember lol. you guys know the river names and suff thats pretty wild.

anyways im really looking forward to the movie  :)

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2001, 11:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by Zigrat:
i dont know how you guy remember this. i got obsessed by the trilogy when i was 9 years old (13 years ago now) and read the whole thing in 1 week, stayed up till like midnight every night reading it. but now i cant remember a damned thing other than golumn and bilbo and frodo and gandolf.. mabye something about a eagle man? and the black horsemen but tahts about all i remember lol. you guys know the river names and suff thats pretty wild.

anyways im really looking forward to the movie   :)

dude! ditto 100%.

same thing - i remember walking down the street and reading at the same time. i loved that series. same thing happened with the dark tower series later and of course imagica, everville, etc from barker...

i remember nothing about lotr now except the guys in black that went and stabbed some pillows or something while the good guys escaped...i dont know.

that is wild that you guys are that geeky - i feel better about my chess habit now.  ;)

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2001, 11:28:00 AM »
Never quite understood why JRRT put Bombadil in the book anyway. I guess it was just to tie it all together with his Middle Earth history. I think he wrote the Ode to Tom Bombadil before the trilogy.

Offline Kratzer

• Gold Member
      • http://www.luftjagerkorps.com/
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
I think just to make it interesting... the books are very episodic, with distinct adventures and characters within those adventures.  It was just one of the early trials of the journey.

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2001, 11:44:00 AM »
I'm just glad I'll finally be able to tell people that I'm "sneakin!" and have them know what the hell I'm talking about   :D

Offline LUPO

• Copper Member
      • http://www.stefanodeluca.it
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2001, 11:52:00 AM »
Just looking at the site posted by Qnm. Actually I think that's Frodo and Sam in the Land of Mordor marching along with one of the orc battalions.

Tango, 1st Lt.
412th FS Bronco Mustangs

Of course it is!   :)
Happy to discover that a lot of my virtual fellows of AH are also Tolkien fans!!!
I know that many of the names of the saga changed in italian translation. It's nice to read hear the english ones...
Long life to the Hobbits!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by mrfish:

that is wild that you guys are that geeky - i feel better about my chess habit now.   ;)

is that chess or chest  :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2001, 02:10:00 PM »
Always kinda felt that being a LOTR fan was akin to being able to quote from "Monty Pythons Holy Grail". Both will accelerate your climb towards Dweebish Nerdiness.  

Glad to see there is plenty of competition here for the  Alpha Nerd position.

:cool:

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2001, 02:15:00 PM »
Guys.
If you havent read LOTR since you were 9 years old. Its time to crack it again.
I think many people on this board have minds that love detail and that is the trap that Tolkien sets. You cant even dent LOTR with one reading.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2001, 02:34:00 PM »
Always kinda felt that being a LOTR fan was akin to being able to quote from "Monty Pythons Holy Grail". Both will accelerate your climb towards Dweebish Nerdiness.

Glad to see there is plenty of competition here for the Alpha Nerd position.

Its not really an official nerd topic until Skuzzy joins in.

Of course, the ultimate in nerd conversations would be either "Magic the Gathering" or "Dungeons and Dragons" stories.  I haven't seen people go there yet... so there is still hope. :D

AKDejaVu

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2001, 04:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kratzer:

If you think about how many different characters there are in the books, and how confusing it can be just when reading them, it makes sense that they would need to remove characters that don't play directly into the main story to prevent the movie from becoming twice as confusing.  For each of us who has read the books, there will be 15 people going to see the movie who haven't, and without knowing who the characters are, I could see how it would turn people off to have that kind of confusion... especially across 3 films in two years.

Think of what happened to Dune... Lynch tried to include everything, and it ended up being 4 and a half hours long... so then the studio chopped it up, and essentially ruined it.

Yea thats true. To include every character adn every event would be near impossible in the theatre. And Tom was not a *key* character for sure.

I was deployed to desert storm when I first read the books, and then every deployment thereafter I read them again. They never siezed to capture my imagination, each and every time. I just read the set again in July of this year
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
« Reply #44 on: December 06, 2001, 05:03:00 PM »
BTW, if you like LoR (which obviously every right-thinking human does  ;)), try Dennis McKeirnen's Iron Tower trilogy.

Some say it is too much a take-off on LoR, but I found the books to be very enjoyable, fast-moving and different enough to be interesting.