Author Topic: A gun question for those that know better...  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
A gun question for those that know better...
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2005, 12:53:38 PM »
Originally posted by Scooter

Get a full size toy revolver with a 4 inch bbl and try to carry it for a day.. a week

Unless the person in question allready has a CC, this is some very bad advise.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2005, 01:56:38 PM »

The best carry gun at this time. STI make's some of the best guns on the market with a wide range of size. Their are $

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2005, 02:24:51 PM »
scooter is making a good point.   You need to pick up a 340pd with 5 rounds of 125 grain HP in it... it weighs like a cell phone..

The universal reaction to that gun when I hand it to someone is "Is this a real gun?"

it is 12 oz. and small with wood grips it is even smaller and more slippery.. it will fit in your front pocket and be no more trouble than if it were a cell phone... basicaly... if you can carry a cell phone in your front pocket you can carry the 340pd..  

It is "hammerless" so you could even fire it from the pocket...  you may or may not be able to do that with a self loader but it would be hopelessly jammed after the first round.. with the PD... if won't be jammed... your clothes will be on fire but... the gun won't be jammed.

lazs

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2005, 08:17:32 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
scooter is making a good point.   You need to pick up a 340pd with 5 rounds of 125 grain HP in it... it weighs like a cell phone..
It is "hammerless" so you could even fire it from the pocket...  you may or may not be able to do that with a self loader but it would be hopelessly jammed after the first round.. with the PD... if won't be jammed... your clothes will be on fire but... the gun won't be jammed.

lazs

LOL! That puts a whole new spin on the term "hot-pants"
(rim shot)

It's funny, in the midst of poo-pooing wheelguns as a bad choice I was thinking the only possible exceptions being some of the hammerless .357s like the 340PD.

The bigger problem with them is price. The cheapest I've seen any of the airlights new was $600 which is well into what I term "permanent doghouse" pricing for me. I have no idea how much the Kel-Tec Scooter recommended goes for, but I'd be willing to bet it would be roughly half that.

Of course, you often get what you pay for.

- SEAGOON

(Who saved $50 by buying a .380 Browning BDA instead of a Sig P230 and has regretted his decision ever since)

Oh, and Curval, no and neither do I have a CCP.
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2005, 10:26:52 PM »
The 357 is a crap round favored by those who watch too much tv.  

"I gots me a .357 MAG-A-NUM, I can shoot right through a car engine"

(when was the last time a car engine attacked you?)

I thought all the .357 fans converted to .44 Magnum after they watched the Dirty Harry movies?

Revolvers suck.  Slow shooting, too much recoil, not very accurate, tend to blow the topstrap off, hard and slow to reload, they do jam, and girls dont dig revolver shooters like they do auto pistols shooters.

Autos hold lots more ammo so you can kill more bad guys.  They reload quicker, absorb recoil and just look so dang much cooler when you pose in front of your harley.  Thats why auto guys get more girls.

Face it, there is a reason virtually every military and police force in the world has switched to autos.  Revolvers suck.

heheheheheheheheheh

The truth is out there, and sometimes it hurts.

dago
man of many autos   :)
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

storch

« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2005, 10:40:36 PM »
Originally posted by Dago

I thought all the .357 fans converted to .44 Magnum after they watched the Dirty Harry movies?

Revolvers suck.  Slow shooting, too much recoil, not very accurate, tend to blow the topstrap off, hard and slow to reload, they do jam, and girls dont dig revolver shooters like they do auto pistols shooters.

Autos hold lots more ammo so you can kill more bad guys.  They reload quicker, absorb recoil and just look so dang much cooler when you pose in front of your harley.  Thats why auto guys get more girls.

Face it, there is a reason virtually every military and police force in the world has switched to autos.  Revolvers suck.

heheheheheheheheheh

dago

er... I think that the reason why police departments switched to autos aad something to do with magazine capacity and ease in reloading.  

slow shooting?  hmmm the world champion speed shooter uses a... hmmm.

inaccurate?  perhaps in your hands.

but that's ok I like autos too I just don't carry one.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2005, 11:03:02 PM »
Heh, Dago they only invented auto-loaders cause some of yall werent quite bright enuff to figure out how to reload a revolver, and yall kept throwin the dang things away when ya ran outta ammo.  I know, I seen them movies where the guy runs outta rounds and throws the gun.  Thats ok though.  If you think your auto-loader makes you better somehow, I wont interfere with your therapy.  Some men need such things to make them feel less insecure I hear.  If its workin, then I'll give ya a Salute and wish you well.  

:cool:

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2005, 11:14:50 PM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
Heh, Dago they only invented auto-loaders cause some of yall werent quite bright enuff to figure out how to reload a revolver, and yall kept throwin the dang things away when ya ran outta ammo. ...  

Nope, that's Chow Yun Fat you're thinking of and he throws away pistols when the mag is empty. Also in the too stupid to find the magazine release is Keanu Reeves from the Matrix series.   :D

But hey, they dump their guns with such panache you just gotta love them anyway.

- SEAGOON
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2005, 11:40:19 PM »

heheheheheheheheheh

dago

"absorb recoil"?  Wow.  We talking shotguns here?

"Slow Shooting"?  Just as slow as the dipchit shooting it is going.  

"not very accurate"?  only as inaccurate as the same dipchit is able to shoot it.

You have proven to the AH community you know nothing.  Thanks.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2005, 04:24:24 AM »
Hmmmmmmmm... a troll that has caught a few allready and hasn`t been muzzled yet.
How refreshing. May be some hope yet.

Besides that everyone knows that your only cool if you hold the semi-auto sideways and you never stand in front of your Harley when about to be engaged in a gun fight. Custom paint is just too expensive these days. :)
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2005, 08:33:29 AM »
the reason most police forces went to semi autos was because they had to allow women and small italian men on the forces..

It is difficult to get good with a .357 for a lot of people.  A lot of cops don't like guns so only train when they really have to these days... self loaders are great for this..

Training now consists of 15 weak rounds in a mag and standing 5 feet from the target... the object is to see how quickly you can empty the gun... if you get caught with your eyes closed and head turned... you have to do it again.

The average gunfight lasted 1.7 rounds when the .357 was standard police issue..  with the plastic self shuckers now in vouge... it has risen to more than 5 rounds per fight.   worse... the police lose more fights now than 20 years ago.

I like 44 mags and 45's but that is because they are easier to reload the ammo and they are more versitile but the .357 is still the king of the people stoppers and the king of paper punchers.

A self loader that is close to the accuracy of a .357 runs double the price... past 50 yards... there really aren't any... none you could carry anyway.

The 340pd is very expensive and you won't enjoy shooting it.  I can barely stand shooting 5 rounds out of it but.... it is the lightest most effective carry gun available today.

lazs

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2005, 08:40:14 AM »

heheheheheheheheheh

dago

:rolleyes:

So much wrong with all of that there's no need to dignify any of it with an actual reply. The two "smilies" say it all.

:rolleyes:
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2005, 08:41:47 AM »
When I had to qualify for MCOLES when I worked at the Michigan National Bank Cash Vault, we had to go through the same training a police officer did.

When I first started, I had a J-Frame S&W .38 Special.  I never once had a problem qualifying with it.  Then along came the POS Beretta Cougar .40 we carried.  I had 3 stovepipes in 50 rounds and went back to same J-Frame.  Everyone else "dealt with" their own issues with that Beretta.  

I wished I could have carried my USP .45 instead.  But, the S&W never once failed to fire.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2005, 09:39:13 AM »
Revolvers suck... - Dago

Training now consists of 15 weak rounds in a mag and standing 5 feet from the target... the object is to see how quickly you can empty the gun... if you get caught with your eyes closed and head turned... you have to do it again. - Lazs

A lot of crap is being slung in this thread.  Revolvers are preferred by a lot of people who carry concealed guns for protection day in, day out, because you know they are more likely to work even if you neglect them.

The police training comment - you're crank yankin' there Lazs.  :D  You'd be impressed with police training in Florida.  Qualification at the range is one thing... we no longer shoot further than 50 feet when qualifying with handguns... but "qualifying" is only a part of our firearm training.  There is a ****load of scenario based shooting, building search and tactical and combat stuff that we do.  We also shoot up thousands $$$ of dollars in simunitions every year too.  Training has never been better.  Muscle memory is drilled right into these hard heads until they can do what they have to do on auto pilot, without thinking.  The people I work with are very competent, and they train the same way at the academy.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 09:41:59 AM by Gunthr »
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2005, 01:00:19 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Besides that everyone knows that your only cool if you hold the semi-auto sideways and you never stand in front of your Harley when about to be engaged in a gun fight. Custom paint is just too expensive these days. :)

Semi-Auto? Come now Jackal, we all know its called a "Gat"  and one does not merely hold it sideways one "busts a cap" whilst aiming at the rear of ones opposition. Expressions of how the target is in fact a female dog who seems to have wanted this to happen are also appropriate.

Booyah Homie J,

SEEGZ