Author Topic: A gun question for those that know better...  (Read 2544 times)

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
A gun question for those that know better...
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2005, 04:07:57 AM »
It pays off to wear a jacket at summertime so everyone THINKS youre packing even if you don't.

Won't that be a better guarantee of staying out of trouble than a perp that gets your cc as a surprise?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2005, 08:27:46 AM »
When I was younger and living in the bay area I used to go to a range there and every time I went there were cops there practicing for some police pistol competition..  I used to have a lot of fun shooting with those guys...They were very good shots.

I have never seen any cop (of the maybe couple hundred that use the range out at work)... I have never seen any one of em come out and shoot unless he was forced to.   I have shot with the instructors when things were slow and I goaded em into it but that is about it.

Things are different... at least in my area.

SOA... why don't you get into reloading?

lazs

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2005, 09:17:18 AM »
Originally posted by Siaf__csf
It pays off to wear a jacket at summertime so everyone THINKS youre packing even if you don't.

Won't that be a better guarantee of staying out of trouble than a perp that gets your cc as a surprise?

Yea, that would work great here in Texas...........for robbers, muggers, etc.
  You would allready be dead of heat exhaustion. The wallet would would be easy to take.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2005, 10:00:24 AM »
SOA,

If you are into Cowboy competition why don't you use one of the repro pistol caliber rifles. Getting one in .357, 44, or 45 LC would fit the bill for competition and be much easier on ammo costs I'd imagine. I also second Laz's suggestion for reloading. I know getting components might be a bit more of a problem there more than the mainland but you should still be able to get them cheaper than ammo. Is there a source for cast bullets there?
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2005, 01:10:48 PM »
Actually I fully intend to get into reloading.  While I've owned guns and been a shooter most of my life, I just got bit by this bug a few months ago.  Most of my guns arent useable in CAS type competitions.  My .30-30 Winchester is the only gun I could even remotely have considered "cowboy."  Because its a modern "rifle" caliber gun and way too powerful for CAS use, I was looking at buying one of the .38/.357/.45LC guns.  Problem is, used ones are difficult to find here, as the market is limited, and new ones are outrageously expensive.  I can send mine off and have it rebarreled and setup for shooting .38-55s for around $200.  The nice thing is, the .45 LCs I shoot in my revolver, the .38-55s I want to have my rifle rebuilt to use, and the 12 ga. shotgun shells all take very well to black powder.  Its just a matter of buying the various setups I need for reloading 3 different kinds of shells.  I just have to find reloading equipment that works for all 3 that works with black powder.  No electricity or static buildup is allowed on black powder reloading equipment.

As for getting the lead, no worries.  We ship enough of that in already for the guys who are reloading now that adding mine on is no problem.  I can buy the bullets pre-formed or buy lead and cast my own.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2005, 01:54:20 PM »
I would go with pyrodex rather than black. More stable, cleaner burning, non corrosive and a bit easier to load. You still get the smoke but not nearly as an intense odor. I think the pyrodex would be compatible with most modern loading equipment.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2005, 02:09:14 PM »
when I was casting bullets I used to get all the free wheel weights I wanted.

lazs

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2005, 02:13:05 PM »
Springfiled rifles that fire the minie-ball setup. I think those things are like .69 caliber? Huge
most likey 58 cals..still a big shot...a ounce of lead:)..shot my brothers springfield a few times..accurate as hell...it impressed me at the gun range..i nailed a 500 yard ding target every shot...i could hardly see the target..just heard the nice metal ding when i hit it..500 yards dont seem that far till your at a real shooting range tring to see that far...hehe.target was proubly the size of a big dog...but it was so far out my site would allmost cover it up..lol

the cowboy matches look fun..i got a colt dragoon i take out once and a while...my buddy who went to the police acadamy and works for the fbi in a federal building when out shooting with me...i took my erfurt 1914 artillery luger and my dragoon..he brung out his custom kimber 45<~~what he carries at work...and a m1 grand...we sat out there shooting and checking out each others guns...i let him shoot my colt dragoon..at 70 yards he was nailing the target...he looked at me amazed...he said..i have shot allmost everything besides black powder pistols..he swears his custom kimber doesnt even match how accurate mine was...he now owns 3 black powder pistols including a dragoon..lol...sure are slower to load..but there fun..best to get extra cilinders and preload them..they even have conversion cilinders to convert the colt dragoon into 45 cartrige

i like new and old firearms...best to try them all to see what you like...357 is a good round...i shot a few of them..last one i shot was a ruger 4inch barrel..it shot good.. lots of power too..any one like that cz pistol? shoots like a 7.62 by 25 i believe?..simple..looks like a good auto to carry..cheap and reliable i hear... cost only about 150bucks at the most

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2005, 02:19:18 PM »
I would go with pyrodex rather than black. More stable, cleaner burning, non corrosive and a bit easier to load.
ummm i got pyrodex...its ok..but i think it stinks twice as much as goex black powder...pyrodex smells more like rotten eggs..tons of sulfer i reckon..lol..we have goex and pyrodex at the range last month..the pyrodex produced so much smoke we had to wait to keep shooting..the goex seemed to make less smoke and didnt stink half as bad...i swear by goex powders..double f and triple f..goex makes a non corrosive powder too

as for loading..i couldnt tell a diffrence when smashing the ball down...as for cleaning..umm doesnt matter what powder you use..you should clean it after shooting that night..with soap and hot water...oil them up..then blast a cap or 2 threw the nipples.cleans them up like new:)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 02:39:34 PM by hyena426 »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2005, 02:26:56 PM »
after about 50 yards you want to go to a revolver round in most cases.  I have a Kimber 45 that will shoot with my 44 mags out to 50 yards but much more than that and the front sight isn't even tall enough to make up for the trajectory.   There are exceptions...  The 357 sig shoots pretty flat but I haven't shot one that was very accurate yet.

lazs

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2005, 04:09:18 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
I would go with pyrodex rather than black. More stable, cleaner burning, non corrosive and a bit easier to load. You still get the smoke but not nearly as an intense odor. I think the pyrodex would be compatible with most modern loading equipment.

I'm using Pyrodex now, altho all the other BP guys here use Goex.  Pyrodex is actually more corrosive than true black powder.  I use it because it is the cheapest, and most commonly available.  If I adjust all my loads for Pyrodex, I can be assured of getting it anywhere I go and never having to change my load because of different combustability.  Goex is only available here through the fella in my club.  None of the stores carry it.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2005, 05:26:48 PM »
Hyena,

I said cleaner burning as in my rifle I can get more shots before having to swab the barrel when shooting pyrodex than black. I use a percussion cap 45 and 50 cal. rifle for hunting. Avg. powder charge is 100 grains for the 45 and 120 for the 50.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2005, 05:54:06 PM »
awww..i see..you using patch and ball or mini ball mav?....ya that sounds about right..my brother uses 120 grains of double f in his 58 cal springfeild..thing is pretty accurate for a old gun:) i run about 50 grains in my dragoon..i shot a old can of food with it last week..put a nice hole in the front..and blew a fist size hole out the back..it really throws it out there with 50 grains in that pistol..but i wouldnt recomend that kinda load for anything smaller than a dragoon or walker

Goex is only available here through the fella in my club. None of the stores carry it.
ya i know,,after 9-11 they changed the rules and you have to jump threw hoops and have a fire safe to get real black powder:( lucky i found a cowboy shooter ammo and gun seller about 30miles from me that has the licence to carry real black powder and its only 10bucks a pound!!:)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2005, 10:00:41 PM »
Hyena,

I use a greatly reduced load for patch and ball. For hunting I use a conical bullet, solid not a minie. The .45 is about 250 gr. and the 50 is 350 gr I think. I tried to use the sabot's but didn't get good accuracy with them. Since the rifling is engraved on loading fouling is an issue for follow up shots. Using black I get 2 maybe 3 shots before having to swab out the bore. With pyrodex I'd get 6 to 8 shots.  Pyro is harder to ignite but I like it better than black.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
Author Unknown

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #89 on: July 01, 2005, 09:24:55 AM »
I like to shoot stuff.