Author Topic: cratered  (Read 1252 times)

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
cratered
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2005, 11:12:07 AM »
Originally posted by jetb123
Wrong.. I have been flying in TT on the Baltic map i think, and i see loads of Stukas and Ju88s

Yeah, I fly there a lot too and all I see are lancs and 24's. And we are speaking more for base bombing. Not killing tanks. How often do you see 88's screamin in to take out FHs?
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
cratered
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2005, 11:23:08 AM »
Back in the old says of AH, you could actually cause "real" craters.  Planes would lose landing gear or clip wingtips on them and find themselves unable to take off.  So basically you're suggesting that HTC add in a feature that they already removed because it didn't work.

Why didn't it work?  Simple.  One guy in a P-47 could dive in and drop one bomb exactly in front of every spawn point at a base.  Some players actually specialized in this.  Thus if you attempted to roll in anything, be it a fighter or a bomber, you could not avoid running into the crater and ruining your plane.  Thus one plane could essentially defeat an entire base without dropping fuel, fighter hangars, bomber hangars, or whatever.  That leads to some really crappy gameplay.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
cratered
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2005, 09:31:35 AM »
Originally posted by TheCage
Apparently you don't know your aircraft history to well.   The Luftwaffe's more versatile aircraft the Junkers Ju-88 originated in 1936, and remained in production for the entire war.   16,000 of these aircraft were built from 1939-1945, built in numerous versions.  In this constant evolution in which the Junkers passed from it's intital role of fast bomber to that of night fighter, reconnaissance plane, dive-bomber, ground attack aircraft, and finally torpedo bomber, the basic structure remained virtually the same.    As for the last time I saw one do it, try the Military Channel when the did a piece on the Ju-88, where they clearly showed it doing dive bombing runs.

Apparently you don't know where you are, lol.  In the game!!!  When was the last time you saw 88s dive bomb in the game? :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
cratered
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2005, 10:07:26 AM »
What Lev said, and HT said himself it was a ***** to manage of in terms of bandwidth/synchronization.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
cratered
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2005, 01:54:02 PM »
Apparently you don't know where you are, lol. In the game!!! When was the last time you saw 88s dive bomb in the game?

The last time I saw it was when I was flying one :aok .  But I won't argue the point as that would be uselss.   I agree about dive bombing with the 17 and 24s, just not with lumping in the Ju-88s.   Many cry about realism then lump in planes that could actually do what they are complaining about.   While AH does not have time delay fueses or parabombs, it also a well known fact that B-17s, B24s, and B-25s did do low level bombing down on the deck.   But like I said I agree with dive bombing with the B24s, B17s and Lancs or any other bomber that was not able to to it.   I was just pointing out that the Ju-88 was fully able to dive bomb in RL and in this game. :D

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
cratered
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2005, 02:41:52 PM »
The last time I saw it was when I was flying one :aok .  But I won't argue the point as that would be uselss.   I agree about dive bombing with the 17 and 24s, just not with lumping in the Ju-88s.   Many cry about realism then lump in planes that could actually do what they are complaining about.   While AH does not have time delay fueses or parabombs, it also a well known fact that B-17s, B24s, and B-25s did do low level bombing down on the deck.   But like I said I agree with dive bombing with the B24s, B17s and Lancs or any other bomber that was not able to to it.   I was just pointing out that the Ju-88 was fully able to dive bomb in RL and in this game. :D

I am pointing the same thing, lol.  Even though 88s could do it, the choice is LANCs, 24s, 17s, and 26s.
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
cratered
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2005, 03:52:32 PM »
...While AH does not have time delay fueses or parabombs, it also a well known fact that B-17s, B24s, and B-25s did do low level bombing down on the deck...

And the losses for those bombers were generally so great (and the results so poor) when performing as a low level bomber that such operations were suspended or very rare.
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline AmRaaM

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
cratered
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2005, 07:58:11 PM »
short timers on the craters would solve the 'one plane' chocking off an entire base, bigger the bomb the longer the repair delay, smaller the bomb the shorter....

Offline TheCage

• Copper Member
cratered
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2005, 10:02:05 PM »
You are correct Blammo in the European theater, how ever they were very successfull in the pacific.   Even in Alaska:) .   Bombers in the Pacific use delayed fused bombs, and parabombs.   Would be nice if they had that here.  In Alaska it was weather that force the bombers to come in at low level.  Most days you were down on the deck because of cloud cover.  But NOE bombing is nothing new, many use to do that in Air Warrior.   Fly to the target on the deck, then pop up to 600 or 700 feet, then pop into the bomb site and bombs away.   Was a great way to shut down a base quickly.    If people in this game can do it, more power to them.   As for cratering the runways, yes it works, but to many game the game and bomb the spawn points which ruin it for every one else.   If the spawn point areas were bomb proof, then I would agree.