Author Topic: .40 Handguns, need advice  (Read 1791 times)

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
.40 Handguns, need advice
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2005, 10:08:30 AM »
With all of the weight that you’ve lost, do you think that you can handle such a big gun?

eskimo

Offline derelict

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2005, 10:24:57 AM »
Originally posted by rpm
My favorite pistol I've ever owned was a Ruger .41 Mag Blackhawk. Accurate, uber deadly, classic looks and fun to shoot.

I knew a guy from Ohio that hunted deer with one of those and said it was better than anything else he had ever used.  Had never heard of it before or since that one time/year.  How common are they and how expensive is the ammo?  Whats the recoil like (compared to a .45 / .44 mag / .357 mag?  Was wanting to get something for deer in the next few years and this may be the way to go.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2005, 10:31:52 AM »
I am confindent you would be happy with the SIG P226 in .40.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2005, 10:36:35 AM »
41 Magnum recoil is usually about 2/3 of the way from 357 to 44.

There is not much choice in bullets for the 41, and even less choice in factory ammo. Everyone I know with a 41 (BOTH of them:D) rolls their own.

Loaded ammo for any of the hunting class Magnums is around $1 a round here. Finding 41 is like finding uranium. There just ain't none. Expect to special order it unless you just find a place that just happens to carry it, or will stock it for you.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2005, 10:38:30 AM »
Derelict,

Recoil and especially felt recoil is a factor of the fit of the weapon to the shoter. The grip has a dramatic impact on it depending on what it is made of and how it fits your hand. I think the old S&W square grip is about a poor design in a hadgun as you can get. The round but pachmeyers make my 2.75" model 66 positively tame with mangum loads. The same with the 6" model 28 and pachmeyers.

There is a rather definite defference in the .357 vs the .44. The .45 in ACP (auto) has less recoil IMO than the .357 does.

This is an area where it is best to go to soem range that will let you shoot different models of handguns and decide on your own which you really like to shoot.

As far as deer are concerned a .357 is a bit light but doable for closer range hunting. Use solids or hard cast hollow points with a heaqvy for caliber slug like the 158 gr. in a semi wadcutter design.

It depends on the range. For Western deer you will be taking long shots and I think the Thompson Contenders in a rifle caliber are the way to go. If you are shooting under 100 yards, a GOOD revolver in any magnum from .357 through .44 will do. IF you can hit inside a 6" to 8" target reliably at that range. You have a duty to the animal to dispatch it cleanly and minimize a chance of losing it.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2005, 10:38:36 AM »
If you want a 40 Short & Weak, I'd suggest a Sig or an H&K. Yes, they are more expensive, but the tend to be FAR more reliable and more accurate out of the box. Gunsmithing to fix a goofy acting gun can get REAL expensive.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2005, 12:01:19 PM »
H+K .40 USP no other choices.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2005, 12:05:19 PM »
I got a stainless beretta .40.  I like it for a couple of reasons.  It's big enough that it doesn't twist in my hand like smaller autos do.  It's reliable enough for me, since I've never had a mis-fire or mis-feed even with the beat up 9mm berettas I qualify with in the military.  My practice with the .40 directly crosses over to the weapon I have to qual with in the USAF.   It field-strips and cleans easily and quickly without tools.

Downsides - it's a bit heavy if you hang it on a crummy belt, and I've heard that there is a part or two that may break if heavily used or abused.  I haven't had mine break and I try not to abuse it, so YMMV.

On a plus side, from a generic spade holster I can rapidly draw from a "hands up" stance, fire without aiming, and bounce/hit a tin can at 25 ft so you might say I'm comfortable handling it.  It's safe enough that we carry them loaded, off safe, and ready to fire whenever we carry at work.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2005, 12:25:19 PM »
Ok so here is what I'm thinking so far.

Beretta 96 Stainless
Sig P226 & Family
HK USP

What about the Sig Pro?

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2005, 01:15:35 PM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Ok so here is what I'm thinking so far.

Beretta 96 Stainless
Sig P226 & Family
HK USP

What about the Sig Pro?

Here's a good forum to ask about sigs.

Offline derelict

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2005, 02:23:15 PM »
Owned a Ruger .44 Mag Super Blackhawk for a year back in the 80's.  Loved that gun.  Had to give it back  :(

I've hunted upon occasion with the old man's S&W .44 mag and didn't like it, even with the pacmire(sp?) grips.  Too short a barrel, and threw the rounds everywhere.  Never hunted with a .357 though the one person I know that does says it just aint enough unless you get really close and hit really well.  Shot a friends Colt 45 a few times at the range back in late '90's..  Was a sweet gun, but I don't think it would take down a deer without a really well placed shot.

I'd kinda figured that the .41 was a rare bird.  But this dude from Ohio just raved about it like it was the cat's meow :)  I'd be reloading myself so that wouldn't bother me much about the ammo cost.  And it sound's like it should do well on PA Whitetail...may have to see if I can find one.  Thanks.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2005, 02:52:06 PM »
For my money, even though I dont own one, I'd go with a Sig.  I know several guys that have them.  Everyone who owns one swears by it, and I trust the word of guys who depend on guns every day.

While I love my Para .40, I don't recommend it for someone who doesn't have a bit of tinkerer/gunsmith in them.  It comes a bit rough on the feed ramp from the factory (at least with the loads I shoot), and needs to be broken down and have some "cleaning up" done on the lip of the ramp.  It does have a great feel in the hand though, and Para's safety system is great.  

Taurus is also a great gun, very solid and very reliable, and again a great safety system.  I dont own any shell chuckers in this brand, but I've shot a few.  They handle recoil well.  A bit awkward in my hand, but I think the newer ones have fixed that.

Kimber was suggested, and they do incredible things with the .45.  I'm sure they make a good .40 as well.  I know a couple of guys with Kimber's, but they are hardcore competition nuts too.  I do know their guns will take alot of abuse and still function.

However.

I would NOT recommend any modified 1911s.  There are plenty out there with modified triggers, lighter springs, whatever.  This gun is VERY good for what it was designed for.  Killing people in combat situations.  A new one (read "stock") is ok, and they are fun to shoot in target/competition situations.  I would never suggest it as a carry gun for anyone unfamiliar with it.  Used ones, buyer beware.

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2005, 02:55:27 PM »
Grun,
It looks you have your mind set on the bigger calibers. Since you've set target shooting as your main (if not only) choice, get a .22. Ammo is so much cheaper! You'll be able to get in about 20X more practice for the $ compared. You'll not get as tired shooting it.
If you're not experienced with shooting handguns, you might develop some bad habits early on that will affect your shooting well in the long run.
With a .22, you'll learn to develop the skills necessary for consistent shot to shot placement. No flinching, no rushing the shot, more prone to actually use proper breathing, trigger squeeeeeze, developing a good grip, sight picture,  no shock from the muzzle blast, no unpleasant felt recoil, etc.
If after all that and you wish to pursue it, then you'll be in good standing to shoot the larger calibers well.

But no matter what gun you decide on, make sure you try it first as what's good for others might not be good for you.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2005, 02:57:26 PM »
Oh yeah, I really like my Sig P220-45. :)
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Martlet

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2005, 03:16:27 PM »
Originally posted by SaburoS
Grun,
It looks you have your mind set on the bigger calibers. Since you've set target shooting as your main (if not only) choice, get a .22. Ammo is so much cheaper! You'll be able to get in about 20X more practice for the $ compared. You'll not get as tired shooting it.
If you're not experienced with shooting handguns, you might develop some bad habits early on that will affect your shooting well in the long run.
With a .22, you'll learn to develop the skills necessary for consistent shot to shot placement. No flinching, no rushing the shot, more prone to actually use proper breathing, trigger squeeeeeze, developing a good grip, sight picture,  no shock from the muzzle blast, no unpleasant felt recoil, etc.
If after all that and you wish to pursue it, then you'll be in good standing to shoot the larger calibers well.

But no matter what gun you decide on, make sure you try it first as what's good for others might not be good for you.

A .22 is an excellent target pistol.  I've heard good things about the Mosquito.