Author Topic: .40 Handguns, need advice  (Read 1793 times)

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
.40 Handguns, need advice
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2005, 12:17:06 AM »
If you're just going to shoot targets, you can easily narrow down your choices:

Autos: .22 or .45 (I own a .40 and would not recommend one for target shooting for numerous reasons)

Revolvers: .22 or .357 (don't listen to lazs)

The .40 is a nice comprimise gun between a 9mm and a .45, but it doesn't have the target support that a .45 or a .22 does. Those two calibers are pretty much the standard for autos.

The .22 and .357 revolvers are even better for target in that they have better accuracy than the autos do. The .357 is nice because you can shoot .38 out of it all day. Both calibers of revolver also have alot of support in the target shooting community... though the .44 would be there too.

The .40 is great if you're actually looking for a concealable weapon. But when it comes to shooting paper, there's just alot of better options out there.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2005, 08:45:46 AM »
mini... he said he doesn't like revolvers.

I vote for a Kimber in .45 and something like the sig in 9 mm... two guns... the 9 mm stuff is dirt cheap by the thousand and the 45 is fun to shoot and accurate.   A single gun in .40 is not a wise move in my opinion.  You can buy a .460 rowlands kit ror the kimber too.  You can also get a 22 conversion kit for it.

Everything maverick said is right on the money in this thread.

For revolvers... I like the 44 mag.  If it had never been invented I might own a .41 but there is less than no point in that now... the brass would get mixed up with my 44 brass and so would the slugs... just a mess for no reason... anything the .41 can do the 44 does better..

44 vs 45 colt?  the 45 colt is a good round loaded real hot.  Less pressure for the same energy... maybe a little finicky in the accuracy dept and not as versitile in my opinion... again.. if they had no 44 mag I would have a hot 45 colt but not now.

The cz or.... witness.... you can get one cheap.  I have one in .45 with a conversion kit for 22.. you can get kits for 9 mm or .357 sig or .40 or whatever... it takes like 10 seconds to switch over to another caliber.

Most semi autos have 22 conversion kits available but the eaa witness is probly the fastest and easiest and simplest to use.

lazs

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2005, 08:47:14 AM »
SigSauer p229 is a good auto. I had one a few years ago, loved shooting it. I was told that it had more "knock down" power than a .45. It has a hammer kinda like a revolver.

Here's what mine looked like after I had to polish the slide after it accidentally slid down the road...

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2005, 08:49:53 AM »
Oh yeah, the p229 is a .40 cal. btw...

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2005, 12:14:35 PM »
i have yet to shoot any 45 cal..that is bettr then the H&K Tactical

wow..it shoots like a Rollys Royce driving

Smooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooth

seems to me if you do a lot of target shooting..maybe a 9mm is bettr..ammo seems ot be much less when buying bulk

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2005, 02:28:35 PM »
green... have you shot an off the shelf Kimber .45?  A Dan Wesson revolver in 44?

I like the HK but...  the Kimber and DW are nicer.

lazs

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
      • http://walden.mo.net/~aedwards
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2005, 03:06:28 PM »
For a target pistol that is extremely reliable and easy to use, get a Glock 17 (standard size 9mm).  It is everything you need for a simple range pistol to shoot continuously.

Essentially:
Easy to load (especially with the included loader)
Very easy to shoot
Very easy to control
Very accurate
Very easy to clean (Field strips to 4 parts)
Very easy to maintain (clean after every 1000 rnds or so)
Cheap Ammo (9mm)

Overall the best weapon made for everyday range shooting.

I would NOT recommend :

SIG, HK, or any pure dual action pistols.

Terror

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2005, 03:17:58 PM »
I don't think you'll regret buying a Sig P226.  Btw, if it makes you feel any better about your choice, this is the company's line on the gun.

The SIG SAUER P226, available in 9mm, .357 SIG and .40 S&W calibers, is the chosen sidearm for the U.S. Navy SEALs, Federal agents, and numerous law enforcement agencies, such as the Ohio State Highway Patrol, Texas Department of Public Safety and the Michigan State Police.

Professionals appreciate two of the pistol's many safety features: the decocking lever and the patented automatic firing pin safety block. These eliminate the need for an external manual safety and allow the pistol to be ready for use at any moment - a critical need in modern law enforcement. Exceptional ergonomics and balance make these pistols easy to carry, with better ballistic performance and accuracy.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2005, 03:23:05 PM »
I wanted a 226 for a time, but then the 10 round mag thing came around, see no point in a High cap 9 if you cant have high cap mags.

No doubt it is a fine firearm, like all sigs.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2005, 03:27:58 PM »
Originally posted by Terror
For a target pistol that is extremely reliable and easy to use, get a Glock 17 (standard size 9mm).  It is everything you need for a simple range pistol to shoot continuously.

Essentially:
Easy to load (especially with the included loader)
Very easy to shoot
Very easy to control
Very accurate
Very easy to clean (Field strips to 4 parts)
Very easy to maintain (clean after every 1000 rnds or so)
Cheap Ammo (9mm)

Overall the best weapon made for everyday range shooting.

I would NOT recommend :

SIG, HK, or any pure dual action pistols.

Terror

What exactly is a pure dual action pistol? Do you mean double action?

Sigs and I am fairly sure HKs, are only double action is the hammer is down, and only for the first ****.

You can order them as double action only, were every shot is double action, but I can only see this for police forces that require it.

your glock is no better or worse then any firearm you listed.

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2005, 04:26:39 PM »
I shoot ipsc for the past 5 years so i do fire more rounds in one practice then most people shoot all year. I see and have shot many different brands and calibers. I have a sig 229 in 9mm and is know collecting dust. Sig is a great weapon but their not a target shooting pistol. My practice days are mostly with steel from 10 yards to 35 yards. I shoot a glock 34c it a full size with the compensator. Some people say that the compensator doesn't do any good with factory ammo that's because they have never shot one. At $600 you cant go wrong and after you get better you can get almost any aftermarket part for it 1/2 the cost. Do yourself a favor if its for plinking at the range get a glock.. I also shoot a sti trojin in 38 super its a nice gun better than a glock but it was also 2k. Its not that much better!

Offline FX1

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2005, 04:27:42 PM »
sorry the sig is a 226

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2005, 06:39:19 PM »
I dont like the feel of glocks in my hand, especially since they added the molded in finger grooves. That is pretty much a deal breaker on most Glocks I have tried so far.

Sig and Beretta feel much better in my hand, they fit better.

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2005, 12:49:07 AM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
What exactly is a pure dual action pistol? Do you mean double action?

Sigs and I am fairly sure HKs, are only double action is the hammer is down, and only for the first ****.

You can order them as double action only, were every shot is double action, but I can only see this for police forces that require it.

your glock is no better or worse then any firearm you listed.

Yes, a pure dual (double) action pistol is a pistol that can only be fired dual (double) action.  They are the hardest guns to be consistently accurate.

The problem I have with SIG (and HK) is the design is restrictive on how high you can hold the weapon, thus making the "flip" of the recoil harder to control.  Why get a firearm that from the start is more difficult to control and hence more difficult to get back on target and fire accurately on the subsequent shot.  (Unless you want to take 3-5 seconds between shots.)  I have fired both SIGS and GLOCKS in competition and the Glocks are just plain easier to shoot quickly and accurately.  (I am not saying the a SIG cannot be shot well.  It just takes ALOT more work and practice to do it.)  In my opinion, only a revolver could out pace a Glock in competition.  And then only when the round count is kept to no more than 6 shots between reloads.

Terror

PS.  A 1911 in 9mm is pretty good in competition too, but seem to have more malfunctions than Glocks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 12:57:42 AM by Terror »

Offline Terror

• Nickel Member
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2005, 12:56:44 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
I dont like the feel of glocks in my hand, especially since they added the molded in finger grooves. That is pretty much a deal breaker on most Glocks I have tried so far.

Sig and Beretta feel much better in my hand, they fit better.

If "feel" is a major concern, then the best "feeling" gun I have shot, is the Springfield Armory XD series of pistols.  They feel very nice in the hand.  And they come close to performing as good as a Glock.  Of course, after breaking one down, they are about as close to a Glock that a product can come with out getting every patent lawyer in the country involved.

Terror