Author Topic: WW2OL a whole new game for many... patch 111 released.  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Jekyll

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.bigpond.net.au/phoenix
WW2OL a whole new game for many... patch 111 released.
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2001, 04:15:00 AM »
So Westy, now you're NOT saying that WW2OL gunnery is 'Warbirdized', with rounds disappearing after an arbitrary distance?

Geez, make up your mind, will ya?  ;)

I seem to recall having the same conversation with you years ago, when you said AW had a much more refined gunnery and flight model than Warbirds  :)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2001, 05:55:00 AM »
20mm rounds just doesnt dissapear, those self-destructs  :D

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2001, 08:47:00 AM »
Spitboy,  I should NOT need another 128mb. 245cas 2 sdram is pretty good. Windoes can;t use more than 512 anyway and in fact I bet alot of folks playing games like WW2O with more are experiencing CTD's because of that.   I'm actually buying another 128mb (EdgeMicro has a good deal) because until I began readin the problems folkks had with WW2O I'd not realised how cheap RAM was now. (pc memory, not the player<G> ).  However my MB (Abit BH6 ver1) only handles 384mb so I'll be topped out with another 128. I'm aware that in a year I'll need a new mb/cpu/vid card anyway to keep pace with any new games or existing games advances but this PII600e (which overlnoodles nicely to 800 but I have not needed to boost it back up to that to date) runs everything I've tossed on it very well. Except for WW2O. WB-III, AH, Op Flashpoint, Halflife, the Rogue Spear games...all smooth and run nice. WW2O may have the gameplay potential but it certainly lacks even Panzer Elite quality graphics, which is a couple of years old at least.

As for other effects on FPS? From my reading I definately agree that there is some link to the net code that effects fps. Intentional and intended to be some kind of smoothing code or gameplay equalizer between players who have PIII 500's and 1GHZ machines? Only they know.
 Keep up the good work at the O-club. It's a nice island refuge from the StFirst and WW2O boards. Although the WW2O boards dreck are meeting the iron fist right now. That was WELL past overdue there.

Jekyll, I never, ever said AW had a better gunnery model than WB's. I did say, in 1997?, the graphics, gameplay and scenarios etc were far better.  I'd swear you're playing word games. My point is the gunnery in WW2O is the way it is for gameplay and not realism.
 That's my simple opinion and neutral observation and delviered straight to the point so you can undertsnad it better. I'm standing by it till I see otherwise.

Westy

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2001, 10:05:00 AM »
Hey, lighten up Francis, I was just telling ya what you could do on the cheap to improve your FPS   :)

Sad fact: all the new games coming out this summer forward will most likely need a LOT of RAM, and more will always equal better. A P3600 with TNT2 and 256 is quickly sliding down below "mid-range" on the computer scale. I note that you have to tweak your comp for Max Performance in AH's DX8a beta, and keep in mind AH's engine was launched a year ago and features 1/2 the viewable units as WW2OL, and a fraction of the people online. It does not seem a stretch to me that it should require more box.

Of the games you mention, none come near to the demands WW2OL puts on a box. Even WB3 - you're basically flying it offline with an uncomplete object model. Rogue Spear and RB6, well, those are years old and can't really handle more than 16 people in one arena. Op Flashpoint was an early demo, offline, again, or with only a handful. Gotta compare apples to apples, I think.

Point being, you can fault WW2OL for a lot of things - it surely deserves it. Including the fact that the recommended spec box chugs in the air. But you'd better get used to the hefty system specs, and folks need to stop thinking of boxes in the 600-800 range as "high end".

Not a slam on you, just a trend I've noticed. I see many people on the WW2OL boards expressing outrage that WW2OL won't run on their Presario K-6 350 with 128RAM and 8 meg shared video. I mean, c'mon folks! That box was high-end about 5 years ago.

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Spitboy ]

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2001, 11:28:00 AM »
Originally posted by Westy MOL:
"i have a 1ghz athlon oc to 1.2 ghz with 512 megs of ram (just upgraded)"

CC. Twice the recommended system. I can see whay it would work better for you.

-Westy

[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

I have a PIII/500 with 192 MB RAM and a 16MB vid card, so I'm right around recommended minimum (in other words, not enough).  I am putting in another 512 MB and a 32 MB vid card - probably in the next day or two.  BUT, I can tell you that the patch made the game playable for me.  Not great, mind you, still bumpy, but as long as I stay on the ground its a hoot.  So, the patch does help even low end systems.  With more RAM I expect to have a decent game.  And its certain that there will be other things coming out in the next 6 months to a year theat will need that much RAM, too, so I fugure its just bowing to the inevitable.

- Yoj

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2001, 11:40:00 AM »
Originally posted by Westy MOL:
Windoes can;t use more than 512 anyway and in fact I bet alot of folks playing games like WW2O with more are experiencing CTD's because of that.  

Westy

Just a clarification on this because it seems to be misconstrued so often.  Actually, Windows can't use more than 256 MB of RAM space.  However, that limit does not apply to programs running in Windows.  All that says is that the operating system will never take up more than 256 Meg, and its generally a lot less.  So if you have 1 gig of RAM, you are guaranteed to have 768 Meg of it available for applications.  The idea that whatever Windows can't see is wasted is simply wrong.

- Yoj

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »
Francis?   :)  hee heee hee.

I'm not as charged up about it as some of my more animated posts towards others may sound so sorry if it spilled over into my post back to you SB. I've actually have all the tweaks posted pronted or saved. Most I already do or knew about ever since AW taught me how to struggle managing difficult hardware, an abysmal OS and an uncooperative program   ;)
  I've been telling the crowd of AW's at BigWeek for over a year that they who had slow Pent II's that they weren't going to be able to hack it in this onine world for long. That thier systems were not going to cut it for AH, WB III or WW@O for long if at all. So I do know I'm on borrowed time (a year) as far as a PIII600(800overclocked) goes but WW2O is going to have to meet me (and from reading the boards alot of others too) half way first by just living up to the sys specs they advertised first.

Rgr Yoj, We'll see. It'll take more major tweaks on CRS part and watching the gameplay flesh out.  Will have to see when it goes pay too, as to what happens to the player base (over all character and behavior, not so much the numbers). Right now it is "a frag fest with a WWII equipment theme" as one usenet author coined it the other day.

Westy

*was doing a usenet search on WW2O this am and this made my stomache churn. NO game needs these types   :(

"Subject: Attention all Neo Nazis!!!!
Newsgroups: alt.politics.white-power
Date: 2001-06-17 05:12:13 PST

You are needed in WW2ONLINE!!!!!!  Help the Axis forces CRUSH
the Jew loving Allies with the Blitzkrieg or in our case Racekrieg.
 Be infantry, drive Panzers, fly Stukas or ME109's, drive trucks
or halftracks carrying fellow Nazi troops to the front, or man
field artillery including the FLAK 88!!!!!!
SiegHeil!!! www.wwiionline.com      
Heil Hitler!!!!!!!!!
-=<DesertFox>=- "

[ 06-18-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2001, 12:06:00 PM »
Heh I've seen one DesertFox in AH's HeadToHead game. He was acting really correct way then so maybe not same person.

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2001, 12:57:00 PM »
Oy. Yep, I've long harassed the Rats for not having suitable game policing tools. It's the biggest failing of WW2OL right now, IMO. That sort of thing will kill WW2OL faster than bad FPS or unstable servers.

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2001, 01:29:00 PM »
hmm, i like what westy said.

i bet that if we were all at con (btw, who is gonna go?) that having a couple cases or bottles to share amongst us while sitting in the con room, we would get along much better.

plus, i'd love to see Toad squirt out of his nose after Creamo flames R4M.

Offline Yoj

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2001, 02:21:00 PM »
Westy -

Frag fest?  Interesting.  I have heard nothing of that.  Only once has anyone from my team shot at me (he missed), and I have not heard it mentioned.

I know what you mean about CRS making more moves.  The fact that its fun does not mean they are anywhere near their promise.  They will have to continue with improvements in play quality and features to keep me in the long run.  And I see no way it will ever replace AH (or any top-end flight sim).  I don't see it as the same kind of game.

Finally, I too find the Neo-Nasty recruitment distasteful and disturbing.  However, I doubt it would be even slightly tolerated by the bulk of the players, should it become noticed.  And, unfortunately, what they do outside of the game can't be helped (though revoking their access to all forms of communication not available in 1945 would be a nice thing).

Yoj

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #56 on: June 18, 2001, 03:48:00 PM »
Frag fest? Interesting. I have heard nothing of that. Only once has anyone from my team shot at me (he missed), and I have not heard it mentioned.

Kills in Quake are tracked as "frags".  It doesn't mean friendlies were shooting friendlies in this particular usage.  It just means people were really only running around shooting at the enemy.. as opposed to anything actually simulating combat.  Commando was not a real-life combat movie.

AKDejaVu

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2001, 07:59:00 AM »
Rgr Spitboy. I hope (for onlien gaming sake at least) they can tackle the issue and control it. Right now there is a topic on ther that made my stomache turn (found it via a post on AGW this am too) called ...

It's gone. Good. It was locked but now they've deleted it altogether it appears.

It was a 6 page, 150plus post topic started by someone asking CRS to do something about offensive handles like Nazi, JewKilla and a few other hard core offensive, racist handles and the poor bastidge got pummeled by the denizens there for complaining about it. It was really, really a bad reflection on a large numebr of players who bashed this guy who only wants names like JewKilla banned.

CC AKDejaVu, that is what frag fest means. Not frag as in Aw/WB/AH where you kill a friendly.

LOL Mason.  :)

Westy

[ 06-19-2001: Message edited by: Westy MOL ]

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2001, 08:41:00 AM »

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2001, 08:44:00 AM »
Is all of ww2 overcast and grey? I can hardly make out the icons let alone the ppl. Have I not found the sunny section of a WW2 world or is it all this drab, especially in the air?

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals