Author Topic: Perk points and death.  (Read 1133 times)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Perk points and death.
« on: January 17, 2001, 11:49:00 PM »
My understanding is that some perk planes such as the Tempest will cost 500 - 1000 points.  That's all and good because it should take a while before you can fly a perk, but after you do finally get your ride, boom..a disco, or a lockup, or anything which makes AH think you just did the old ALT-F4, and your penalized for it.

My concern is what happens to your perk points after some guy pings you once and then your computer locksup, or you get discoed. Normally the kill is awarded to the guy that pinged you. So how are they going to deal with this dilemma??

fscott

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Perk points and death.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2001, 12:01:00 AM »
A few minutes ago, there was a giant dump in the MA.
From about 150 people, only 9 were left.

I wouldnt like finally getting enough perks for my plane and losing it by something like this.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
Perk points and death.
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2001, 12:02:00 AM »
This dilema is much easier to deal with (and less frequent) than dealing with people alt-f4'ing to save their perk ride/points.

AKDejaVu

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Perk points and death.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2001, 08:38:00 AM »
 We can pretend that discos in the game correspond to the real-life mechanical troubles. Unfortunate but realistic.

miko

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Perk points and death.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2001, 10:34:00 AM »
Disco's are the problem, because they count as .5 death for each one.

Alt+F4 is not the problem, because they loose thier kite and points.

All you old timers from the beta think back to around beta tour 3/tour 1.  Lots of folks would Alt+F4 to avoid having a death in thier stats.  It because such a problem that HT fixed it so pressing Alt+F4 is counted as a crash.

Alt+F4 = Controlled Flight Into Terrain.

miko I dinnae care about real-life mechanical troubles in this case.  Dinnae really care for'em in the MA at all.  They're fine for scenarios, where realism has a large place, but the MA is fantasy land.  Spits dinnae fight ponies in the real world, but they do in the MA.

Basically I'm gonna be one verra unhappy camper if I'm tooling along in my new, shiney perk kite and I loose it and my points because a router in Fort Worth crashed.

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Perk points and death.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2001, 11:47:00 AM »
Well..there is even more than just a disco to worry about. Perhaps I am the only one, but I've had 223 "discoes" this tour alone. About 5 of those were actual discoes. The rest was either lockups, crashes to desktop, or the computer restarting on its own. Now tell me how is HT gonna deal with people who get these probs? Especially Geforce owners who experience the occasional lockup?

I think I may have solved the problem. I changed my CAS memory to 3 instead of 2 in the BIOS.  I played all last night without a problem, so maybe the problem is solved for me. But there are others I am sure who experience a lockup once or twice a night.

fscott

Offline Jimdandy

• Zinc Member
Perk points and death.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
I can bet that the first time we get an arena dump with a few prek planes flying the gripes will be flying next.

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
Perk points and death.
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2001, 12:28:00 PM »
problem is that server can't distinguish between router at your isp going down and you pulling the network cable from the back of your PC ( or modem cable for that matter )

See the problem ?

------------------
Bartlomiej Rajewski
aka. Wing Commander fd-ski
Northolt Wing
1st Polish Fighter Wing
303 (Polish) Squadron "Kosciuszko" RAF
308 (Polish) Squadron "City of Cracow" RAF
315 (Polish) Squadron "City of Deblin" RAF

Turning 109s and 190s into scrap metal since 1998

Northolt Wing Headquarters

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Perk points and death.
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »
"...Tempest will cost 500 - 1000 points.."

I still wanna know what orifice fscott pulled this number from.

"..I've had 223 "discoes" this tour alone.."

92 hrs/233 discoes = a disco about every 24 min.  I think you have bigger problems to worry about than perk points.

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Perk points and death.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2001, 01:11:00 PM »

Originally posted by CavemanJ:
miko I dinnae care about real-life mechanical troubles in this case.  Dinnae really care for'em in the MA at all.  They're fine for scenarios, where realism has a large place, but the MA is fantasy land.  Spits dinnae fight ponies in the real world, but they do in the MA.

Basically I'm gonna be one verra unhappy camper if I'm tooling along in my new, shiney perk kite and I loose it and my points because a router in Fort Worth crashed.

But since you have no alternative you may as  well pretend that you like it.
 It's not like I propose to introduce crashes. And if someone knew a way to make reliable Internet communications, you would have seen his name on the list of 5 richest people already...

miko

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Perk points and death.
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2001, 01:15:00 PM »
Mickey1992,

I suggest you listen and learn before you go spouting out the mouth about something you know nothing about.  HiTech has already stated that he plans on making the Tempest cost 500 to 1000 perk points. Second, I think I've solved the problem on my end but the issue still stands on what to do about router dumps, ISP dumps, discoes, lockups, crashes to desktop.

To the rest,

I've got 700+ kills this sortie and 740 perk points since tour 12 has started. Now Imagine it's taken this long to get 700 perk points only to have them lost by a disco, or some other act of God.  I think there would be some real legitimate whines. It takes a long time to get those points.

I suggest either HT will have to lower his planned cost of perks or somehow determine the difference between pulling the plug on your modem and ALT-F4. Imagine how much a P51H is gonna cost...

fscott

Offline LaVa

• Zinc Member
Perk points and death.
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2001, 01:22:00 PM »
Well, i like the idea if things go south on your end... ie your isp discos or your computer crashes then hell your SOL<consider it a measure of your maintance officer>. get a better isp, new puter or whatever it takes to get things straight<a better maintance officer>.  But, if Aces high dumps me, i want my perk wings BACK.

LaVa

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Perk points and death.
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2001, 01:37:00 PM »
fscott,

From this thread - http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum8/HTML/001049.html
Pyro said, "I couldn't even tell you what a future perk plane would cost because that's based on point accumulation rates."

I was questioning where you got your numbers from considering the fact that Pyro stated that the numbers are not known yet.  If you would have stated in your initial post that you got your numbers from HT, then that would have answered my question that in fact your numbers did not come from an orifice on your body.

Secondly, I am glad to hear that you may have solved your BIOS problem.  It just seems to me that someone who is getting discod/CTD'd/dumped every 24 min would be worrying about solving their PC/connection problem and not asking HTC "..how are they going to deal with this dilemma".

(Citabria has about the same number of hours online as you but only has 7 disco's this tour for example.)

Offline fscott

• Banned
  • Copper Member
Perk points and death.
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2001, 04:35:00 PM »
Guess your missing the point. There are many people who experience discoes and lockups ande dumps. It takes you an entire tour or many many kills to accumulate enuff points to take a Tiffy up for a ride. Then suddenly one of those semi-rare dumps occur and you are left with no ride, no points. I don't want this to happen even one time since it takes so long to get those points in the first place.

When you question someone's statement, please be more courteous as if you were talking to them face to face.

fscott

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
Perk points and death.
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2001, 07:58:00 AM »
I'm sorry, fscott, apparently you aren't the same "fscott" who plays in the MA who is rude, obnoxious, taunting, and is constantly self-praising.   I didn't mean to offend.

The next time I see the "fscott" in the MA I will be sure and tell him to follow your suggestion and "please be more courteous as if you were talking to them face to face".